• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

UK test drive booking process

Spoke to CS at lunchtime today following the non-receipt of the test drive email and they said they would "try and get another email sent out to me". "Try"?!!?!? I said it's really not very hard to just re-send the email but apparently for them it is due to the mass-sending software they use. Right, sure. Continual disappointment. Nothing received as yet.
Does any one from Lotus HQ really read this forum? If so do you really accept and see the continual CX failures that keep happening day-on-day?
Do they even care - I don’t see that they do and speaking with young inexperienced people on CS is no help at all - they just go thro the motions of reading the script “yes I see the frustration and I do apologise “ that’s all you get from them no action no acceptable outcome. Funny I never get the satisfaction email to complete afterwards - doesn’t take much to work out why !

First post of common sense customer service from Lotus I have seen on this forum. Albeit from the dealer, but something positive!
Except it’s not from Lotus, it’s from the dealer. The dealers want to be helpful but have largely been hampered by lack of info and new processes from Lotus.

Credit where it’s due. Lotus Cheshire have noted a delay in my test drive when my vehicle is potentially imminent and offered me a much quicker test drive next week. Great customer service.

Things are moving fast now after a long time waiting!
Credit also to some dealers who have seen what is going on and have added Sunday test drives, which they are offering to their deposit holders with Nov/Dec build slots in deposit date order - as Lotus should have done for all test drives in the first place.

What a total circus, how has all this not made it into the mainstream motoring media? Might give them a wake up call if it did...
Or they might not care at all just relying on that ever depleting order book. At some point it will matter.
Well this weeks issue of Autocar there is a readers letter from Anonymous- highlighting the issues they have had or mimics all our frustrations with the order saga from deposit, to missed dates on build/ test drives etc. so it is in the media now. Lotus standard blurb about woes on parts and build - they even highlight LCC number to contact.
This is embarrassing for Lotus overall. The debacle of test drives and well known contributors to this forum unable to test drives is so sad and inexplicable, other companies do it so much better.

I loved my old model vantage but hate stupid flappy paddle gearboxes so we’ll see!
That is fair enough, I like an auto box but with a stick so I can still shift myself just without the need to use my left foot. That said I could drive the Vantage so fast in the right conditions I was glad I didn't have to take one hand off the wheel.

Credit also to some dealers who have seen what is going on and have added Sunday test drives, which they are offering to their deposit holders with Nov/Dec build slots in deposit date order - as Lotus should have done for all test drives in the first place.
Shame Bradford not willing to do this I was told by the brand Mgr that the car must be cleaned and re-fuelled. Seriously come on and even if I said I was cancelling my order there is nothing he can do - his words not mine as I did not bring into the conversation cancelling my order. £78k order for sake of a 40 min demo ride !!!! Refuelling takes 10 mins and I wud even wash 🧽 the car - seriously I have this as written reason why he can’t accommodate me till next year !!! 🚩🚩🚩
I rang Glasgow today and he was a lot more accommodating to try and get demo for in a fortnight he wud need to ring Lotus as they can’t book demos in - what the hell sort of system are they running here ! Direct selling model is absolutely terrible customer experience
but Glasgow has touring and is a 6 hr round trip
I really hope I don’t like this car when I eventually manage to get a demo and I can walk away not thinking I’ve missed out a great car

This info is for any UK V6 auto depositors.
I asked Customer Service the following in reply to their test drive invitation:

Thanks for the invitation.
I have ordered the V6 auto, I would be grateful if you would kindly advise on how I should organise a test drive of the V6 auto.
For the avoidance of doubt, I have no interest in the manual version.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Their reply:
Thank you for your email.
We currently do not have any Automatic available, or to test drive. When we have these cars available we will be sending out communications to invite customers for a test drive this will not be until next year.
Hope this provides the answer you needed, if there is anything else you need help with do contact me.

ENDS
Of course, I knew that an auto test drive woud not be available but I wanted to see how they answered my enquiry. I feel that the reply is very poor and leaves me even more frustrated with the process. There was no attempt to apologise for the delay, indicating a test drive will be available next year without qualifying any time period such as first quarter is quite ridiculous.
There is no doubt that the V6 auto depositors are the poor relation in this on-going debacle.

I had the SLK55 in with MB for a service and MOT yesterday so when I picked it up my daughter and I had a look around at a few cars in the showroom and the sales team were fantastic. They had an E63s estate that caught my eye so they got the keys and let us clamber around in it and start it up (it was in the showroom so couldn't drive it anywhere). I asked for a test drive to be organised so they took some details and said they would give me a call to arrange one at a time that is convenient for me. That's what you get when you have trust and faith in your dealer network. I walked away from the showroom feeling way more loved than Lotus HQ have achieved in 18 months. I really feel for the Lotus dealerships, they must be absolutely up against it. Anyhow I fear my trusty 330d xdrive estate might be getting swapped for something more potent 😄

So at the moment dealers offering deposit holders test drives on circa 3 days a week. Demos open to non deposit holders in a couple of weeks at this point will only 3 days a week be offered ? surely it will be 7 if dealership is open 7 days a week ?
Also how does booking operate then ?
As dealer told me this can be be booked via the Lotus link ?
Just wondering if we’re been more restricted than what non deposit holders will be ???
CS told me that demo can’t be refused if car is available and Lotus Expert on site - however dealer is still not allowing.
I was just trying to understand why this bottle neck has been put in place and everyone would of got a slot if slots had been available 6 days a week ????
Trying to understand why some dealers have not been accommodating when we are spending £78k - it’s further soured this experience ☹️ but maybe if I understand it would elivate my frustration- as both CC and dealer have not offered a reason and the story keep changing TIA
I was so excited thinking I was going to be getting a drive 😆 and now I’m literally flat as a pancake ☹️

So at the moment dealers offering deposit holders test drives on circa 3 days a week. Demos open to non deposit holders in a couple of weeks at this point will only 3 days a week be offered ? surely it will be 7 if dealership is open 7 days a week ?
Also how does booking operate then ?
As dealer told me this can be be booked via the Lotus link ?
Just wondering if we’re been more restricted than what non deposit holders will be ???
CS told me that demo can’t be refused if car is available and Lotus Expert on site - however dealer is still not allowing.
I was just trying to understand why this bottle neck has been put in place and everyone would of got a slot if slots had been available 6 days a week ????
Trying to understand why some dealers have not been accommodating when we are spending £78k - it’s further soured this experience ☹️ but maybe if I understand it would elivate my frustration- as both CC and dealer have not offered a reason and the story keep changing TIA
I was so excited thinking I was going to be getting a drive 😆 and now I’m literally flat as a pancake ☹️
The route at JCT600 isn’t ideal, mostly urban ring road, very little “B” road about 1mile. Couple of miles of motorway, but generally they are unable to provide some good Yorkshire Clear roads or indeed moor roads where the car can be pushed. A little unsatisfactorily after such a long wait. Do hope you get sorted.

The route at JCT600 isn’t ideal, mostly urban ring road, very little “B” road about 1mile. Couple of miles of motorway, but generally they are unable to provide some good Yorkshire Clear roads or indeed moor roads where the car can be pushed. A little unsatisfactorily after such a long wait. Do hope you get sorted.
I was considering going to Glasgow but that’s a 6 hr round trip for the sake of 40 mins and it’s probably going to be ☔️ in Glasgow lol also wrong suspension set up for me

I did jct600 totally agree test route rubbish but due to the dealer location it was always going to be unless lotus gave jct600 more time to get out of shitty Bradford. I told them ti use the Rawdon dealership as a base for test drives but I think the new dealership lotus partnership will not work well. Jct600 are too busy with bmw and masserati to give the car the individual attention it needs.

Just had an update from the lovely people at customer care. They confirmed my build and delivery unchanged, which I find very hard to believe given the number of deliveries so far against the numbers in the Harry’s Garage video. I had hoped it was ‘the call’ to start the checkout process but no.

Re the infamous demo’s email I was told the ‘original’ plan was to space out the emails but that was changed and they all went out together - no reason given. As I and a number of other pre reveal depositors still havent even had an email, I pointed out that was not correct and I understand that test drives are booked out. Given that I was assured I would get a drive before committing I asked what would happen if I couldn't get the demo and I wanted to delay the car until I could. I was told that they hadnt had that yet so didnt know!! You might think someone in the management would have thought about that surely?

I then asked if I wanted to delay the car until I could get the demo would I be kicked in 2024? I was told they didnt know but if it could be delayed I would be charged storage!!!! So they are 7 months late and if I want to delay a month or two because they cocked up the demo process and they now charge me.

After all the mess ups with bookings , deposits and now reports of demo’s being held up with ECU warning lights, window seals having to be relocated and failed steering servo, I would love to ask Lotus who actually is in charge of the Emira project, it smacks of a project being controlled by multiple groups with zero cohesion.

Just had an update from the lovely people at customer care. They confirmed my build and delivery unchanged, which I find very hard to believe given the number of deliveries so far against the numbers in the Harry’s Garage video. I had hoped it was ‘the call’ to start the checkout process but no.

Re the infamous demo’s email I was told the ‘original’ plan was to space out the emails but that was changed and they all went out together - no reason given. As I and a number of other pre reveal depositors still havent even had an email, I pointed out that was not correct and I understand that test drives are booked out. Given that I was assured I would get a drive before committing I asked what would happen if I couldn't get the demo and I wanted to delay the car until I could. I was told that they hadnt had that yet so didnt know!! You might think someone in the management would have thought about that surely?

I then asked if I wanted to delay the car until I could get the demo would I be kicked in 2024? I was told they didnt know but if it could be delayed I would be charged storage!!!! So they are 7 months late and if I want to delay a month or two because they cocked up the demo process and they now charge me.

After all the mess ups with bookings , deposits and now reports of demo’s being held up with ECU warning lights, window seals having to be relocated and failed steering servo, I would love to ask Lotus who actually is in charge of the Emira project, it smacks of a project being controlled by multiple groups with zero cohesion.
I agree with these sentiments entirely, bring back the old order like Tony Shute and it’s a shame that Roger Becker isn’t around any more. But, what it is showing is a total failure of the Management of this project.
I would certainly hold whoever is dealing with LCS responsible for the disaster of communications, but the issues on Test drive is absolutely disgraceful on a priority and implementation basis.

Hi, for what’s it’s worth I was booked demo drive on Thursday at 10am, I got the bloody day wrong? Thought it was today!. Anyway on Thursday at 10.19 (at Screwfix), my co pilot Emma rang me asking if I would like to actually like to turn up, I had no answer but to grovel - next available she advised was a slot in February!! However she said I could have a test this coming Monday at 10 (two days time?) if that works??
I would further like to add I had an email invite a couple of weeks ago to see the big fat electric thing, so thought I would have a look,; this was last Saturday, arrived with no cars outside, place looked deserted, went inside, no one there but an empty showroom, Emma popped her head around the corner - bottom line no car, but instead a blue emira. I had the privilege to be left alone with the car with no one else and to sit in it and play to my hearts content. I have videos etc but no clue how to upload.
Congratulations to Hendy Lotus, Southampton, I guess it comes down to if you nice or an arrogant prick how you are treated. Also I was not judged on my appearance or anything other than I was a depositor genuinely interested waiting for my car

Hi, for what’s it’s worth I was booked demo drive on Thursday at 10am, I got the bloody day wrong? Thought it was today!. Anyway on Thursday at 10.19 (at Screwfix), my co pilot Emma rang me asking if I would like to actually like to turn up, I had no answer but to grovel - next available she advised was a slot in February!! However she said I could have a test this coming Monday at 10 (two days time?) if that works??
I would further like to add I had an email invite a couple of weeks ago to see the big fat electric thing, so thought I would have a look,; this was last Saturday, arrived with no cars outside, place looked deserted, went inside, no one there but an empty showroom, Emma popped her head around the corner - bottom line no car, but instead a blue emira. I had the privilege to be left alone with the car with no one else and to sit in it and play to my hearts content. I have videos etc but no clue how to upload.
Congratulations to Hendy Lotus, Southampton, I guess it comes down to if you nice or an arrogant prick how you are treated. Also I was not judged on my appearance or anything other than I was a depositor genuinely interested waiting for my car
So you are suggesting that a longstanding multiple lotus owner who has being given misinformation at every contact since putting a sight unseen deposit down months pre reveal and has been assured a test drive before commitment but hasnt even had the email is an A* P* for suggesting the whole thing is the shambles on a sh*t show it is? I have never been anything but exceptionally polite so why the comment?

Not a clue why, I’m only going on what I’ve experienced with my purchase, I’m also a long term lotus owner and a 10th July depositor, I don’t know you but I think you response basically sums it up.

I’m I right you have not actually committed to buy the car!

Also if you have not agreed to a spec and have a delivery date what right do you have to comment.

I have nothing but a good experience with my purchase through Southampton. There are too many people who rightly or wrongly have opinions that are both nasty and without justification or just intellectually arrogant. God I’m lucky I’ll never meet these nobs in real life only cos there are no cars. Bring on Dobby!

Has anyone had a test drive at Lotus Bristol yet?
If so are you able to share the route?

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back