• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

UK test drive booking process

Why not do the test drives from the old Rawdon site?
Great roads within 10 mins of there.

Why not do the test drives from the old Rawdon site?
Great roads within 10 mins of there.
Apparently this was suggested as great access to the sale roads, but dismissed by both JCT600 and Lotus!

Why I have no idea. Better for all, particular those travelling from further North.

What’s done is done, but the experience hadn’t been good, IMHO🤷🏻‍♂️

That want the case when I tested a V8 esprit in the 90’s from almost the same location (actually over the road in the finance building). We had a great time down the M62 then over the moors and back to Bradford. Don’t remember it taken any longer. The route for the Emira is not worthy of the car and has disappointed many, as attested to by many on this forum.
I wonder why you are defending their decision?

As I said, I'll be the first to admit the route isn't particularly good. I'm not trying to defend it, I'm simply providing a different perspective and an answer on why certain decisions have been made.
As for your other point about the moors, simply put - mileage. A route was thrown around internally around Scammonden on some fantastic roads, but before it even got to Lotus it was realised it just wasn't possible as even though timewise it wasn't much different (on the rare times where the M62 is actually clear), it was a huge increase on mileage - it's almost a 50 mile round trip, compared to around 20 miles. It simply wasn't feasible with what Lotus wanted, especially when you consider the traffic on the M62. Given the car isn't even allowed to be taken a mile down the road for photo purposes, is being tracked & mileage logged, and can strictly only be driven on test drives or to the petrol station, you can hopefully see why hands were tied.

As I said, I'll be the first to admit the route isn't particularly good. I'm not trying to defend it, I'm simply providing a different perspective and an answer on why certain decisions have been made.
As for your other point about the moors, simply put - mileage. A route was thrown around internally around Scammonden on some fantastic roads, but before it even got to Lotus it was realised it just wasn't possible as even though timewise it wasn't much different (on the rare times where the M62 is actually clear), it was a huge increase on mileage - it's almost a 50 mile round trip, compared to around 20 miles. It simply wasn't feasible with what Lotus wanted, especially when you consider the traffic on the M62. Given the car isn't even allowed to be taken a mile down the road for photo purposes, is being tracked & mileage logged, and can strictly only be driven on test drives or to the petrol station, you can hopefully see why hands were tied.
Yes I can see the logic in what you say. Lotus have hand tied the dealers I guess. Very controlling I think.

I do think what they have done to UK customers is shocking, let alone what they have done to dealers who are now it would appear agents. I think the days of the showroom are over, along with having a relationship with the guys servicing and selling the cars. Another nail in the coffin I think.

Test drive at B&C on Monday 12th December so will put my views on the thread. I’m sure it will confirm my 14/7/21 deposit down was the right one 😎.

How was it. I am visiting B&C tomorrow (Wed 14th) and am concerned about the weather.

I find it quite shambolic that they haven't run the cars in prior to giving them to dealers for demos...

How many miles has the B&C car done now?

How was it. I am visiting B&C tomorrow (Wed 14th) and am concerned about the weather.
I saw the B&C demo car out on a run today. Roads have been gritted and are OK. Forecast is for some further overnight frost but only -1 to -2 overnight and will get above freezing during the day.

It’s on Goodyears. You may find they restrict you to Tour and Sport drive modes and don’t use Track, which has a lot of TC/ESP turned off.

It’s fully run in and no restrictions on revs. Have fun!

I find it quite shambolic that they haven't run the cars in prior to giving them to dealers for demos...

How many miles has the B&C car done now?
It’s doing about 1000 miles a week, was at 2000 a week ago so probably over 3000 now.

I agree with AudiR8 test drives should be longer and varied with no prescriptive rules. I would have even paid for the petrol if that was the issue?🤷🏻‍♂️
Agree with the longer test drives, I've always wanted to get a good mixture of town, country roads to test a car out. Can remember a lot of years ago trying an AM Vantage V12 for 1.5 hours, with all sorts of roads, great test. Didn't buy it but got one later. (y)

I think I got lucky with the test drive, over an hour in mixed roads with no constraints, wasn't perfect but enough to get a feel for the car.

Agree with the longer test drives, I've always wanted to get a good mixture of town, country roads to test a car out. Can remember a lot of years ago trying an AM Vantage V12 for 1.5 hours, with all sorts of roads, great test. Didn't buy it but got one later. (y)
We were due pur test drive yesterday at Lotus Bradford but cancelled as ww couldn't be bothered with the hassle of a 3 hour round trip in crap weather to then have to drive around slowly in said crap weather on a crap route. We will look to test drive later next year and as the car isn't due until June (pending any further delays) we have plenty of time.

We were due pur test drive yesterday at Lotus Bradford but cancelled as ww couldn't be bothered with the hassle of a 3 hour round trip in crap weather to then have to drive around slowly in said crap weather on a crap route. We will look to test drive later next year and as the car isn't due until June (pending any further delays) we have plenty of time.
You certainly made right decision Bradford demo route 👎🏻

On account of Bristol devising such a disappointing route, I am hoping to arrange a second test drive. I live in Gloucesteshire but I would be willing to travel. Can anyone recommend a dealer who uses a good route, please?

I can recommend the B&C/Lotus Surrey test route as a good mix of urban, dual carriageway and cross-country A/B roads. They have a few slight variations depending on time of day and chance of any ice, but this is the main one:

Bell and Colvill test drive route.JPG

Start is West Horsley then loop north and west via A3, then south east to Gomshall Station and return north west and east. You get a wide mix of road surfaces!

You guys are so lucky. My wife "tested" the car on highway 101 for 15min...