📓 Journals Unicorn v6 auto has landed

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.
    Featured
On the way home, trying to refuel, I couldn't decide whether Electric or Propane Gas:
This must be the future 🤣
IMG_7958.jpeg

1800 kms done.

NO ISSUES AT ALL so far. Couldn't try the wipers, it was sunny.

Was enjoying the ride so much that I couldn't take any videos of the shifts yet, plus under 4.000 rpm wouldn't be very representative.
Pictures posted in the Nimbus thread during last week.
KEF system sounds very well for such a small space. Only tried Apple Music streaming.
It took me some time to adjust properly the seat, after this trip my back is ok, and I suffer lower back pain a lot.
in Sport suspension, the car is much better for long trips than the Evora GT410 Sport, almost as comfortable as my DB9.
AC works great.
It behaves amazing in the turns, like a kart with suspension, and I feel it more planted than the Evora.
Exhaust sound has improved like a 10-20%.
Auto transmission is way faster and smoother than Evora.
Steering wheel, no issues adapting to it after 5 minutes.

I have to give a big thank you to all of you that got delivery a few months ago, and suffered initial production issues, it looks like most of them are been addressed.

@A Cascala , waiting for his Nimbus manual soon, came with me yesterday for a ride, and while I was distracted messing around with the infotainment, our Mrs came from behind in a little Ford van with a 3 cylinder engine, and had the odesity to overtake us, SHAMELESS

Now I have the first Auto Emira delivered, and the slowest! 😂

That Mrs. had a devilish laugh as she passed you. I'm sure you gave her the excuse that you were still limited to 4000 rpm :LOL:

1800 kms done.

NO ISSUES AT ALL so far. Couldn't try the wipers, it was sunny.

Was enjoying the ride so much that I couldn't take any videos of the shifts yet, plus under 4.000 rpm wouldn't be very representative.
Pictures posted in the Nimbus thread during last week.
KEF system sounds very well for such a small space. Only tried Apple Music streaming.
It took me some time to adjust properly the seat, after this trip my back is ok, and I suffer lower back pain a lot.
in Sport suspension, the car is much better for long trips than the Evora GT410 Sport, almost as comfortable as my DB9.
AC works great.
It behaves amazing in the turns, like a kart with suspension, and I feel it more planted than the Evora.
Exhaust sound has improved like a 10-20%.
Auto transmission is way faster and smoother than Evora.
Steering wheel, no issues adapting to it after 5 minutes.

I have to give a big thank you to all of you that got delivery a few months ago, and suffered initial production issues, it looks like most of them are been addressed.

@A Cascala , waiting for his Nimbus manual soon, came with me yesterday for a ride, and while I was distracted messing around with the infotainment, our Mrs came from behind in a little Ford van with a 3 cylinder engine, and had the odesity to overtake us, SHAMELESS

Now I have the first Auto Emira delivered, and the slowest! 😂

Very interesting. I surprised you're noticing a difference in suspension and ride and handling between the Evora GT410 Sport and Emira on Sports suspension, as they're supposed to be very similar according to Lotus. Subjectively I thought they were close too when I drove them on successive days, but I did only have about 60 mins in each.

Very interesting. I surprised you're noticing a difference in suspension and ride and handling between the Evora GT410 Sport and Emira on Sports suspension, as they're supposed to be very similar according to Lotus. Subjectively I thought they were close too when I drove them on successive days, but I did only have about 60 mins in each.
It´s definitely not as hard to me as the Evora, maybe the seats also play part of it ?
And maybe the extra weight makes it feel more planted, specially in the front

Could be, and the wider front track on the Emira. Have you got the Sparcos in your Evora?
Yes, I love them but definitely like rocks compared to Emira seats

Today I've been at my lotus dealer to have a look at the Eletre, while I was there there was an automatic Empira on show; while I was chatting I mentioned I don't find very smart to put manual up and downshift on the right and left of the gear level and he gave me an answer that made me thought..."Is like this as it is in the Volvo cars"....with that said I recall the comment that the gearshifts are much better in the emir compared to the Evora........now a suspect came to my mind..........

Would it be possible that they managed to fit a volvo automatic gearbox into the Emira?

That would explain both the delays for the automatic version (maybe it took some extra time to fit into the car etc) and the better experience with it

Just guessing, I don't even know it it makes sense, if it is technically possible....just wanted to drop some thoughts on the table.

PS it was on black wheels with......black bolts!!!

IMG_20230412_142733567.jpg
IMG_20230412_142921782.jpg
IMG_20230412_143114495.jpg
IMG_20230412_145953396.jpg

Today I've been at my lotus dealer to have a look at the Eletre, while I was there there was an automatic Empira on show; while I was chatting I mentioned I don't find very smart to put manual up and downshift on the right and left of the gear level and he gave me an answer that made me thought..."Is like this as it is in the Volvo cars"....with that said I recall the comment that the gearshifts are much better in the emir compared to the Evora........now a suspect came to my mind..........

Would it be possible that they managed to fit a volvo automatic gearbox into the Emira?

That would explain both the delays for the automatic version (maybe it took some extra time to fit into the car etc) and the better experience with it

Just guessing, I don't even know it it makes sense, if it is technically possible....just wanted to drop some thoughts on the table.

PS it was on black wheels with......black bolts!!!

View attachment 24995View attachment 24996View attachment 24997View attachment 24998
Interesting, I will have to remember to ask if it’s different from the Evora one when I pick mine up

Is the way you shift gear on the lever different to how it was on the Evora ?

Interesting, I will have to remember to ask if it’s different from the Evora one when I pick mine up

No idea, never had ad a Lotus! Yet…

The Evora was buttons, rather than a selector. My 410 Sport pictured. I think there were very few of these made, before they changed to the GT410. I think the layout was the same though.

1681327541121.jpeg

I would be surprised if they have spent the money on changing the transmission as there is a limited market for the V6 auto. It has been mentioned on here on other threads that autos only account for around 15% of sales and with V6 sales time limited with emission regulations tightening up all the time. It is possible they have use a 'parts bin' gear selector as it is really just a series of switches. I think any improvements to the gearbox are likely to be software, but I will be able to give a better answer in a couple of days when I get mine!

I would be surprised if they have spent the money on changing the transmission as there is a limited market for the V6 auto. It has been mentioned on here on other threads that autos only account for around 15% of sales and with V6 sales time limited with emission regulations tightening up all the time. It is possible they have use a 'parts bin' gear selector as it is really just a series of switches. I think any improvements to the gearbox are likely to be software, but I will be able to give a better answer in a couple of days when I get mine!
Would it make sense if, also to save money, they moved from the Toyota (the one they have to pay to an external manufacturer) to the Volvo (from a manufacturer inside geeky’s world so I’d assume cheaper) transmission?

As far as I know, the gearbox is Aisin (Toyota), same as in the Evora.
I also believe the improvement from Evora is software management.

Shifting right/left instead of up/down, I don't see any issue, get used to it in 2 minutes, but then I don't use the lever at all, rather use the paddles.

Confirmed that the faster way to go back from Full Manual to Auto is one quick pull of the lever.

Makes no sense because first, a Volvo gearbox wouldn’t fit and second, Volvo doesn’t build automatic transmissions ;) it’s the same gearbox as in the Evora, only the shifter changed, but it obviously was no mechanical control in the Evora in the first place, so no big deal to change that part.

So, I suppose it is possible (probable) then that the lever/control mechanism is indeed from the Volvo parts bin, hence the left/right to shift, even though the actual gearbox is same box as was in Evora. That would make complete sense to me.

Auto gearbox is the same Aisin (Toyota) unit as used in the Evora. Software has been improved for the Emira. Gear selection in the Evora was buttons per John's post.

It appears the Emira V6 Auto gear selector is the same as used on the i4 DCT Emira, so either it's carried over from AMG or it's a part from somewhere in the Geely group.

So, I suppose it is possible (probable) then that the lever/control mechanism is indeed from the Volvo parts bin, hence the left/right to shift, even though the actual gearbox is same box as was in Evora. That would make complete sense to me.
9C278444-14AD-4EAE-9177-4602FECB47B3.jpeg

Its just one plug.. they could have gone for something like this from volvo… this gear lever operates the same way as in the emira hence im sure in the future nicer gear knobs will be available.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back