• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

Well, I'm more likely to wait for an Emira S or R than to jump into a Base, at this moment. I think @Lotustoronto made some good points regarding the initial quality of the FE1 & FE2 Emira's affecting future buyers that may currently be "on the fence" versus other sportscar options.

Whether there is an Emira S or R is a guess at this time, yet it makes sense in order to keep up the interest in the Emira and make as much profit on the model line as possible before it is discontinued. - which by the way, when do we think this will occur, given some of the EU emission restrictions being delayed and new requirements for the USA market being proposed to start in 2027??

Thanks to all for your thoughts and insight.

Well, I'm more likely to wait for an Emira S or R than to jump into a Base, at this moment. I think @Lotustoronto made some good points regarding the initial quality of the FE1 & FE2 Emira's affecting future buyers that may currently be "on the fence" versus other sportscar options.

Whether there is an Emira S or R is a guess at this time, yet it makes sense in order to keep up the interest in the Emira and make as much profit on the model line as possible before it is discontinued. - which by the way, when do we think this will occur, given some of the EU emission restrictions being delayed and new requirements for the USA market being proposed to start in 2027??

Thanks to all for your thoughts and insight.
I can see Emira going until 2030 in some markets. It will just come down to demand vs the new electric sport car. If the EV is ultra successful, they may need the production for the demand and axe the Emira altogether. Safely until 2028 I would say, in a manual and V6 that I am not so sure.

I want to ask people's opinions about FE vs a base Emira?
I have an allocation for a FE 1.0 but I am paying ADM from another state (extra shipping cost). I'm debating just putting in a deposit at a local dealership for MSRP and waiting about 18 months for a base Emira and build it up to the spec of the FE1 I have now.
My justification for the FE1.0 is if it holds better value than a spec base. The FE1 is about $6k over MSRP plus shipping and delivery. I can afford it, but I don't have "F U money" and will be throwing a chunk of savings into this car.
Or I can wait 18 months, save the money I have and invest it over that time.
I know nobody can see the future but just curious about y'alls opinion on the matter and if you think it's worth getting the FE1.0 or wait and save for the base.

I have an allocation for a FE 1.0 but I am paying ADM from another state (extra shipping cost). I'm debating just putting in a deposit at a local dealership for MSRP and waiting about 18 months for a base Emira and build it up to the spec of the FE1 I have now.
If you have a FE 1.0 you must have fully spec'ed the car and ordered it over a year ago. How would you get your money back at this point?

I want to ask people's opinions about FE vs a base Emira?...................
My opinion..... If you can get a refund of your deposit, and don't mind waiting the 12 - 18 months for a Base Emira, I definitely would. I think paying ADM is not a good idea, and if you are asking the question, you probably have concerns that will bother you in the long run.

I also think waiting for a base might be the best path given the initial quality issues we have heard with the Emira. This gives Lotus more time to sort things out and possibly offer additional features or options that they initially said would be in the car, yet have not shown up yet.

Might even offer an Emira S or R, as discussed above. Or possibly pick-up a lightly used Emira for a nice discount after all the initial "got to have one" excitement has faded.

I have a deposit in place for a base at MSRP, and would like a mid 2025 or early 2026 build. My contract states that I can delay if needed and hold my place in line (they just skip over me), and if push comes to shove, meaning the line ends and I have to order before I want to, I can cancel for a full refund at any time prior to placing the build order with Lotus. So I
like the flexibility.

Reactions: Txs
My justification for the FE1.0 is if it holds better value than a spec base. The FE1 is about $6k over MSRP plus shipping and delivery. I can afford it, but I don't have "F U money" and will be throwing a chunk of savings into this car.
I know nobody can see the future but just curious about y'alls opinion on the matter and if you think it's worth getting the FE1.0 or wait and save for the base.
Even with the $6k ADM, the FE1.0 is still going to be the best buy you’ll get on a new Emira. With today’s inflation where else will you get a locked in price from 2021?

Even with the $6k ADM, the FE1.0 is still going to be the best buy you’ll get on a new Emira. With today’s inflation where else will you get a locked in price from 2021?
Yes but if I wait 18 months with current msrp locked in, inflation and interest rates drops, and I get the same exact spec, that's worth it no? Especially if I can wait. The only thing I see justification for the FE1.0 is that I get it sooner. But I'm still debating 😂

If you have a FE 1.0 you must have fully spec'ed the car and ordered it over a year ago. How would you get your money back at this point?
I bought the allocation from someone else who cancelled their order after it was set. It's based on the $95k msrp but they're adding $15-20k on top of the original price

Yes but if I wait 18 months with current msrp locked in, inflation and interest rates drops, and I get the same exact spec, that's worth it no? Especially if I can wait. The only thing I see justification for the FE1.0 is that I get it sooner. But I'm still debating 😂
Your crystal ball is better than mine. I’d take delivery and enjoy the car, but I’m getting old so I don’t dare wait any longer than I have already! Lol

Your crystal ball is better than mine. I’d take delivery and enjoy the car, but I’m getting old so I don’t dare wait any longer than I have already! Lol
Life is short anything can happen tomorrow. Buy it now and enjoy it.
Drive the hell out of it now not later 😊

I'd recommend waiting if you can. First Editions don't usually hold value like Final Editions and it seems like you won't be devastated to wait another year, so why rush to get a FE and pay ADM?

Pros to FE:
  • Arrives slightly sooner
  • FE is discounted (likely saving ~$10-20k over a base spec + everything the FE package comes with + recent MSRP increases)
  • First Edition badging on exterior and dash (neutral)
Cons:
  • Can only choose from the 6 original colors
  • Will likely deal with some initial teething issues and require warranty work
  • Upgraded versions coming soon
  • More factory installed options (including Lotus Advanced Performance upgrades) coming soon

my 2 cents - I would be hesitant on FE 1.0, only because of the associated known issues with First Editions. Although F/E 2.0 is perhaps the same, it may be considered differently? In the end, I personally would wait for the base. I am ok with the extra increases if it means getting more colour and interior options with a better sorted electrical system.

The flip side to this argument is F/E 1.0 are going to be built pretty much at the end of the F/E model run, which in theory would give you the best sorted car at a 2021 price point. Really best of both worlds almost. The other side of the coin, F/E's will be the Emira's to depreciate the most IMO. Hence why I would wait for a base. Easier for me to say while I enjoy another sports car at the moment....

I bought the allocation from someone else who cancelled their order after it was set. It's based on the $95k msrp but they're adding $15-20k on top of the original price
Wait, your paying an ADDITIONAL 15-20K to buy an F/E car? That's not a good idea

Well if you can cancel and get the money back at any time, just hold the reservation and wait until FEs start getting delivered. There will almost certainly be some flipping right after delivery with 0 miles on the clock; if any of them are less than $20k over MSRP just buy one and cancel your allocation.

Well if you can cancel and get the money back at any time, just hold the reservation and wait until FEs start getting delivered. There will almost certainly be some flipping right after delivery with 0 miles on the clock; if any of them are less than $20k over MSRP just buy one and cancel your allocation.
Problem I see with that is that he bought the allocation from someone else and that may not be refundable.
Just guessing will all depend on the dealership and how they look at it.

Just to clarify, I placed a deposit of $2500 for someone else's spec. It's still refundable until delivery of the car.
The 15-20k ADM is based on the original FE price of $95k, today's MSRP is $105k for that build so NET ADM is about $5k-10k. It does suck to pay 15-20k ADM especially if I'm grandfathered in the original FE price, but to be fair finding an allocation now for MSRP will be a 12-18 month wait vs getting this car delivered Nov/Dec 2023

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back