• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

You in Myrtle or something?
My apologies for not defining the "Upstate" for those not familiar with the area. The Upstate of South Carolina is the north west section of the state, where SC, NC,TN and GA all come together.

We get some sub 35F temps, yet my cars are garaged, so the tires start out above 40F and get warmer as they roll. Never had any issues.

For the occasional snow, (1-4") it usually melts enough by the early afternoon in the sun☀️

Just be smart about it and for the few cold, or snowy times, in Jan or Feb, it's not worth changing tires.

My apologies for not defining the "Upstate" for those not familiar with the area. The Upstate of South Carolina is the north west section of the state, where SC, NC,TN and GA all come together.

We get some sub 35F temps, yet my cars are garaged, so the tires start out above 40F and get warmer as they roll. Never had any issues.

For the occasional snow, (1-4") it usually melts enough by the early afternoon in the sun☀️

Just be smart about it and for the few cold, or snowy times, in Jan or Feb, it's not worth changing tires.
Ive got a lake house not too far from you in Blue Ridge, GA (literally where GA, TN and NC meet). Agree that this area of the country has great weather as well as some of the best driving roads in the U.S. (not just the Tail of the Dragon). Just don’t stop when you hear banjo music…….

I remember reading that the GoodYear summer tires on the Emirates won't crack so long as the temps stay above 32 degrees, which should be doable in most US states if garaged.

I remember reading that the GoodYear summer tires on the Emirates won't crack so long as the temps stay above 32 degrees, which should be doable in most US states if garaged.
Even if they don't crack they will be hard as bricks, with about as much traction, until they get a lot closer to 50 degrees!

Last edited:
Yes, and that's the Tire Temperature, not the Air Temperature..... I've driven my Goodyear F1's in air temps below 30F with no issues. I start from a garage that is in the mid-40F and as long as I don't park in the cold for too long, I'm fine. Been doing this since 2015 with my Cayman with no issues.

The problems arise when you let the tires soak in cold, sub 33F temps overnight, as they get hard and do not want to flex when driven. Yet if they start warm, they stay warm until you stop. So you can get away with a drive out to the store, with a 40 minute stop in 30F temps - if you start with 40F tires.

Even if they don't crack they will be hard as bricks, with about as much traction, until they get as lot closer to 50 degrees!

No, it's not that bad. According to Test World, summer tires in the cold 0C do just fine. It's the Cold AND WET when they start to loose significant grip.

Here is the Testing Video - Its good info for all.

Dry Braking;
Summer Tires are better than "All Season" tires down to 0C/32F. Then they are equal.
Screenshot 2023-07-30 110153.png

Wet Braking;
It's in the cold AND Wet that Summer tires show their weakness..
Screenshot 2023-07-30 110859.png

Last edited:
No, it's not that bad. According to Test World, summer tires in the cold 0C do just fine. It's the Cold AND WET when they start to loose significant grip.

Here is the Testing Video - Its good info for all.
My personal experience is that they have very little grip for spirited driving until the air temps are approaching 50 degrees. Try to track out under hard throttle at 45 degrees or under and you'll see instantly what I mean. For the last 20 years I've switched to performance all seasons from November through March so I can have some fun when it's cold.

new website has been launched for Canada at least. V6 F/E is removed has a configurable option. Website looks better, but pricing has also been removed. Looks like it's still a work in progress at the moment.

new website has been launched for Canada at least. V6 F/E is removed has a configurable option. Website looks better, but pricing has also been removed. Looks like it's still a work in progress at the moment.
Looked a lotuscars.com from US and seeing the same. I tried configuring a base, but as you mentioned no pricing. I would like a side by side of what comes with base and what's in FE, like they have with the i4. As you said, looks like a work in progress, so maybe that will come. To nitpick a bit, if it is a work in progress, it shouldn't have been made public in my opinion. I'd prefer a finished site.

Looked a lotuscars.com from US and seeing the same. I tried configuring a base, but as you mentioned no pricing. I would like a side by side of what comes with base and what's in FE, like they have with the i4. As you said, looks like a work in progress, so maybe that will come. To nitpick a bit, if it is a work in progress, it shouldn't have been made public in my opinion. I'd prefer a finished site.
True,

But in fairness, even when Porsche updates it's website configurator with new models in generally takes them a day or two to sort all the glitches and info. So I'll give it a pass for a week. - noticed the i4 now says 0-60 in 4.5 sec. I always thought it was 4.3? small detail.

id like a side by side comparison too. pic still has the 1st edition emblem on the car too. very unfinished

True,

But in fairness, even when Porsche updates it's website configurator with new models in generally takes them a day or two to sort all the glitches and info. So I'll give it a pass for a week. - noticed the i4 now says 0-60 in 4.5 sec. I always thought it was 4.3? small detail.
Careful with the 0-60 comparison. This could trigger pages of discussion of all sorts of non comparable cars, EVs, etc 😉

Careful with the 0-60 comparison. This could trigger pages of discussion of all sorts of non comparable cars, EVs, etc 😉
never fails when I talk about my love for cars. specifically ICE cars

"but tesla is faster"

😐

never fails when I talk about my love for cars. specifically ICE cars

"but tesla is faster"

😐
It's usually the A to B drivers. I've stopped trying to explain why enthusiasts care about feel, weight, manual transmission, etc. It doesn't resonate. 😕

It's usually the A to B drivers. I've stopped trying to explain why enthusiasts care about feel, weight, manual transmission, etc. It doesn't resonate. 😕

I spent a couple of seasons tracking both of my cars, a Model 3 Performance and an ND Miata. They were polar opposites, but equal fun. The Model 3 was surprising in how well it turned in, it's clear the traction control is doing a lot to rotate that car, but it works. Dialing in the power distribution with track mode was fascinating. I had never had the opportunity to make my car less RWD or more RWD with a finger swipe and it really helped me understand those physics better in a way that jumping into different cars doesn't. Mash the accelerator on corner exit and the dopamine exhaust valve in your brain opens fully. Getting it slowed and turned is a mild panic attack at the limit... which is definitely a sort of engagement lol. I mention just to say it's a different flavor, equally valid, and still interesting to enthusiasts. Obviously I'm on this forum so I love the classic formula as well. I just don't think everyone on the Tesla (EV) side of things needs to understand the classic formula. They're still enthusiasts if they love their machines, they just have different reasons.

So I may be getting ahead of myself..... nothing new, yet in following Emira sales in the UK & EU markets, it seems like the Emira market is getting saturated, and prices are starting to fall.

Now, pivot to the North American or US market and we are still clamoring to get hold of an Emira. Yet will the same market dynamics occur? Meaning after the FE V1 and FE V2 cars are delivered and the remaining folks on the wait lists order their base models in 2025, will the Emira market in the US also become saturated with supply becoming higher than demand?

Thus for someone that has a few toys to play with and can wait until the end of 2025 or mid 2026, do we think that the Emira market will become saturated and discounts on new and used Emiras will be available?

What are your thoughts?

So I may be getting ahead of myself..... nothing new, yet in following Emira sales in the UK & EU markets, it seems like the Emira market is getting saturated, and prices are starting to fall.

Now, pivot to the North American or US market and we are still clamoring to get hold of an Emira. Yet will the same market dynamics occur? Meaning after the FE V1 and FE V2 cars are delivered and the remaining folks on the wait lists order their base models in 2025, will the Emira market in the US also become saturated with supply becoming higher than demand?

Thus for someone that has a few toys to play with and can wait until the end of 2025 or mid 2026, do we think that the Emira market will become saturated and discounts on new and used Emiras will be available?

What are your thoughts?
Predicting car sales in 2025/26 will be very difficult to ascertain. However, if I had to guess.... yes we would see a similar trajectory in North America. Once we hit 2-4K Emira's in North America,(2025?) I would think the market for the vehicle will begin to soften. No different than C8's, 911's and any other enthusiast car. With that said, depending on price increases and new variants. I suspect that Lotus will have thought this through and would mitigate by introducing newer models.

2024/25 - Base V6/i4
2026 - Emira S (perhaps introduced in UK in 2025)
2027 - Emira R

The S/R will obviously be quicker and introduce price increases and other options. I am not sure if the base will run along side, but my guess is it would. With higher priced variants in the mix, the base and F/E's should hold their value decently, assuming all the niggles and recalls aren't catastrophic. I will say if the Emira launches with a similar amount of issues in the US market as it did in the UK, I think it will depreciate a lot more than we would like to admit. The US market is home to the C8 and a lot of Porsche dealers that would be chopping at taking sales away with big dealer networks to make a very good case against Lotus. This really rests on how well sorted they can get the Emira and turn away from the mantra "lot's of trouble usually serious".

As far as I can tell the amount of electrical issues, limp modes, engine light etc. is a bit more than average. The electronics may need a fair amount of re-engineering. Either software, grounding, corrosion etc., something isn't right about the way it's been implemented IMO.

Last edited:
2024/25 - Base V6/i4
2026 - Emira S (perhaps introduced in UK in 2025)
2027 - Emira R

The S/R will obviously be quicker and introduce price increases and other options. I am not sure if the base will run along side, but my guess is it would. With higher priced variants in the mix, the base and F/E's should hold their value decently, assuming all the niggles and recalls aren't catastrophic. I will say if the Emira launches with a similar amount of issues in the US market as it did in the UK, I think it will depreciate a lot more than we would like to admit. The US market is home to the C8 and a lot of Porsche dealers that would be chopping at taking sales away with big dealer networks to make a very good case against Lotus. This really rests on how well sorted they can get the Emira and turn away from the mantra "lot's of trouble usually serious".
Experiment: put down a deposit for an Emira R, and a deposit for a C9. See which one arrives first.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back