• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

Yes, it may be almost time to rename this thread USA/Canada Pre-Delivery Angst Thread. And create a new USA/Canada Delivery Thread that chronicles the actual deliveries that will start in January. Kind of a fresh start!
That will be the US/Canada issues and warranty thread

For what its worth, my NY dealer (Carb state) was originally told that they'd have to store the cars (at great cost as they were looking to rent storage) but Lotus has since changed their tune and informed them that they'd be kept at the port. According to my source this will apply to all cars, carb state or not, as Lotus doesn't want the liability of a car potentially getting on the road etc. Once the cars are approved they'll be shipped to dealers.

He also informed me that the first batch of cars sent on ship #1 were all non carb state cars, and that I'd know my VIN within the next two weeks or so. Red LE 1.0 super early deposit, for the record.

Overall, quite the shit storm. It truly boggles my mind that Lotus wouldn't go to Geely and ask if they could borrow the Volvo A team for a weeks to ensure all the certifications/federalization gets sorted, say, a year or two ago. Having recently shipped a car from Japan to port of Newark, storage fees can be incredibly expensive. Not sure what Lotus will owe their logistics partner in Baltimore, but this isn't going to be trivial.

That will be the US/Canada issues and warranty thread
You can have one of those, too, for the whinging that I'm sure will continue ad nauseum. I was really thinking of a more positive thread where people can just be excited and proud of finally getting their new Emira delivered.

Anyone else see this? At 3:45 he states that i4 Emiras will not be delivered to USA customers until 2025. If this is true I'm cancelling my order, and taking them to court if needed. I finalized my order over a month ago (1st deposit over a year ago) and 'supposedly' now that it is finalized it cannot be changed or cancelled. Getting beyond ridiculous...

Anyone else see this? At 3:45 he states that i4 Emiras will not be delivered to USA customers until 2025. If this is true I'm cancelling my order, and taking them to court if needed. I finalized my order over a month ago (1st deposit over a year ago) and 'supposedly' now that it is finalized it cannot be changed or cancelled. Getting beyond ridiculous...
What video are you refering to?

For what its worth, my NY dealer (Carb state) was originally told that they'd have to store the cars (at great cost as they were looking to rent storage) but Lotus has since changed their tune and informed them that they'd be kept at the port. According to my source this will apply to all cars, carb state or not, as Lotus doesn't want the liability of a car potentially getting on the road etc. Once the cars are approved they'll be shipped to dealers.

He also informed me that the first batch of cars sent on ship #1 were all non carb state cars, and that I'd know my VIN within the next two weeks or so. Red LE 1.0 super early deposit, for the record.

Overall, quite the shit storm. It truly boggles my mind that Lotus wouldn't go to Geely and ask if they could borrow the Volvo A team for a weeks to ensure all the certifications/federalization gets sorted, say, a year or two ago. Having recently shipped a car from Japan to port of Newark, storage fees can be incredibly expensive. Not sure what Lotus will owe their logistics partner in Baltimore, but this isn't going to be trivial.
Just want to make sure I understand you correctly...

So in the past week we've received a dozen or so updates from forum members and dealers saying that they would expect to physically receive the Emiras that are starting to arrive in North America, and that they will physically store them at their dealerships, until such time as CARB certification passes, after which point they can then be sold to customers. Here is one such update from the most reliable horse's mouth to date, @GatorMotorsport:

• These vehicles will be shipped to retailers in EPA states before receiving CARB certification. However, no Emira will be sold/delivered to customers until we receive CARB approval.

And so my question to you @rotate is: you're saying the part in bold above is no longer happening? And if so, as of what date did this change?

Last edited:
That is 100% true as confirmed by many dealers. See bold at bottom.

Here is an excerpt from the update I received from Lotus of Dallas last weeks with specifics
Emira V6 Manual Info:
  • 500 V6 Manual Emiras are being shipped to North America now on 3 Ships. We have the VINS from the first 2 ships and your Sales Associate will be reaching out to you regarding Financing & Leasing through Lotus Financial, Trade Ins if you have one or how you plan to pay for the unit etc. We are also have an XPEL PPF Partnership where XPEL actually does the install and is onsite at our Facility to do the work. Both the Film and Labor are covered by their 10 year warranty across the Country.
  • 83% of Emira orders submitted in North America were for a V6 Manual.
  • We are still waiting to receive CARB certification for the V6 Manual Emira. We expect completion in January.
  • No Emiras can be delivered until the CARB certification is given.
  • We will know more on our allocation for 2024 in the next couple of weeks for our remaining Deposit Holders awaiting their V6 Manual Emira.
Emira V6 Automatic—
  • Emira V6 Automatics will now be arriving Mid-Year 2024. Lotus has had Supply Constraints and had to Prioritize V6 Manual certifications to fulfill their promise of delivering cars before the end of this year. This has delayed the Homologation Process for the units.
  • Previously submitted orders for V6 Auto Emira will maintain their 'First Edition' status and be model year 2025 vehicles.
  • All pricing will stay the same and orders placed with the Factory will be opened up so you can change the colors, options, etc. except for the drivetrain.
Turbo I4
  • Supply chain constraints have caused a production delay for Turbo I4 Emira. These orders are now expected to arrive at the beginning of 2025.
  • U.S. homologation for I4 Emira will be completed in late 2024, with customer deliveries beginning in early 2025.
  • A fleet of I4 demonstrator vehicles has been ordered and is expected to arrive in Q2 of 2024. We will invite all our reservation holders once a test drive opportunity becomes available!
  • All pricing will stay the same and orders placed with the Factory will be opened up so you can change the colors, options, etc. except for the drivetrain.

Just want to make sure I understand you correctly...

So in the past week we've received a dozen or so updates from forum members and dealers saying that they would expect to physically receive the Emiras that are starting to arrive in North Americal, and that they will physically store them at their dealerships, until such time as CARB certification passes, after which point they can then be sold to customers. Here is one such update from the most reliable horse's mouth to date, @GatorMotorsport:

And so my question to you @rotate is: you're saying the part in bold above is no longer happening? And if so, as of what date did this change?
I have been following this thread religiously, indeed this new information seems to be a total 180.

Take it with a grain of salt, but this is coming right from the dealer who is as infuriated with Lotus as many of us are and has been updating me as he gets new info.

I was there last weekend and they were still under the impression that as soon as the cars were processed at Baltimore, they'd be shipped out and the dealers would have to find appropriate storage for what we know will inevitably be longer than January. They were scrambling to find warehouse space (in the NYC metro area, no easy or cheap feat). I asked them if Lotus would be footing the bill and they told me one battle at a time.

Yesterday, I texted my SA over there and asked if they'd gotten my VIN, as he was told on the dealer call like everyone else they'd be getting them but since then crickets. Thats when he explained the update I shared (in summation):

-Non-carb states got shipped first even though...
-all cars, carb or not, will now be kept at the docs until they're certified
-VINs for those of us on the other ships should be available in a week or two
-They believe we'll be on the road in 30-60 days...........

Given that this likely came from a Lotus U.S. rep this may all be categorically incorrect, completely accurate, or anything in between. That all being said, having been in the industry, this sounds like a more reasonable course of events. I don't know if Lotus has indoor storage in Baltimore or can/will rent some. I do know that other exotic brands (Lamborghini/Ferrari, etc) get driven off the ship to an indoor facility before being individually transported.

I have been following this thread religiously, indeed this new information seems to be a total 180.

Take it with a grain of salt, but this is coming right from the dealer who is as infuriated with Lotus as many of us are and has been updating me as he gets new info.

I was there last weekend and they were still under the impression that as soon as the cars were processed at Baltimore, they'd be shipped out and the dealers would have to find appropriate storage for what we know will inevitably be longer than January. They were scrambling to find warehouse space (in the NYC metro area, no easy or cheap feat). I asked them if Lotus would be footing the bill and they told me one battle at a time.

Yesterday, I texted my SA over there and asked if they'd gotten my VIN, as he was told on the dealer call like everyone else they'd be getting them but since then crickets. Thats when he explained the update I shared (in summation):

Given that this likely came from a Lotus U.S. rep this may all be categorically incorrect, completely accurate, or anything in between. That all being said, having been in the industry, this sounds like a more reasonable course of events. I don't know if Lotus has indoor storage in Baltimore or can/will rent some. I do know that other exotic brands (Lamborghini/Ferrari, etc) get driven off the ship to an indoor facility before being individually transported.
I can appreciate the frustrations over conflicting bits of information from diverse sources. This long journey has required stamina and stoic optimism. (Those feeling otherwise have elected to bail).
So I'm enjoying the irony of your screen name and remark about a 180 degree turn of events.
I'm also reminded of the Lotus creed : Worth the wait.
Being sorely tested.

I4 orders can be changed.

Regarding cancelling and getting deposit back, that may be dealer dependent.

My dealer did not ask for any extra deposit when confirming final build slot and also stated I can still cancel at any time and get my money back.

Big if true.

So far can anyone confirm they are stored indoors right now or still left outside? We are supposed to be getting some shite weather rolling in...

Has anyone asked or been told if they can drive their car during dealer purgatory and visitation or will the cars even be legally road worthy? It would be good to keep the car driven occasionally during the wait time. As long as its never by the dealer employees etc. (take photos of odometer every visit)
You don’t own the car until it’s paid for , too much risk of it getting hit

I just look at the events of the past two weeks as another step closer. Don’t need to go drive “my” car. Just as happy dogging the dealer demos (before KitKat screws it up).

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back