USA/Canada Delivery Thread

Is the transportation fee included in the price? I thought that I read that the fee was included in the price.
My Sales guy said that the transportation to the dealer was included in the MSRP, but I added $2,350 just in case as the terms state "and transportation". However, he said that this was if I wanted the car to be delivered to me from the dealer.

FULL, OUT OF THE DOOR PRICE?

For US buyers, if the price of the car is $95,830, how much do you expect to pay out of the door. I assume some % of taxes by state. Anything else??? Any potential dealer or hidden fees? Would those be legal I a deposit was made a while ago. Thanks

For an FE 2.0 in CA:

MSRP (my spec) $109,480
Destination charge 2350
Tax (approx) 8700
DMV fees 1,100
Total: 121,630

Add PPF, car cover, dashcam, battery tender, exhaust valve controller, and it's probably in the neighborhood of $132k.

My Sales guy said that the transportation to the dealer was included in the MSRP, but I added $2,350 just in case as the terms state "and transportation". However, he said that this was if I wanted the car to be delivered to me from the dealer.
Honest question. Has destination EVER been pre-included in the MSRP of a car? When I was younger I used to moonlight as a car salesman after my normal job, so that I could bank away more money for the things I wanted. Every sale I ever made the destination fee was on top of the Base MSRP of the vehicle.

It boggles the mind that someone would hold a job selling cars with 1) no knowledge of the pricing of the car they are selling, 2) no awareness of the industry norm of not including the destination/transportation charge in the MSRP of the car, and 3) no apparent experience of having ever sold a new car, which would have exposed them to the previous fact.

My contract was pretty plain vanilla. My dealer added $1995 for "destination" but we discussed that it was a guess and the contract clearly says it's an estimate to be adjusted upon delivery. Of course, the tax rate was also an estimate since none of us knew what the tax rate would be given the uncertainty of delivery date.

Why anybody would think destination is part of MSRP is beyond me. Ok, maybe if it was the first new car one ever bought but destination has always been a separate line item in my experience. Just like one needs to pay taxes..still can't believe some people don't understand that concept either.

It boggles the mind that someone would hold a job selling cars with 1) no knowledge of the pricing of the car they are selling, 2) no awareness of the industry norm of not including the destination/transportation charge in the MSRP of the car, and 3) no apparent experience of having ever sold a new car, which would have exposed them to the previous fact.

I help people buy EVs.

So one of the services my company provides is linking a customer with a ā€œcertified knowledgeableā€ sales person. The misinformation is incredibly bad at the dealership and people are often buying cars based on bad information about range, charging, etc.

So when someone wants say, a Cadillac Lyriq near their city, weā€™ll call and ask assessment questions to make sure the sales person has had their training (and remember it) before handing off the customer.

Many times, I simply canā€™t find anyone to pass our assessment in a 100 mile radius of the customer. Itā€™s that bad. Most are googling very basic facts on the phone with us and still getting it wrong.

Itā€™s why we also offer to educate the customer so they can be prepared before they get to the desk.

Just stopped in Manhattan Motorcars (not my dealership) and they told me they wonā€™t be getting any stock because NY is a CARB state. Honestly think they simply have no idea.

Several Rimacs and Koenigseggs available so I guess the Emira is even more exclusive!
So CARB states get no cars? Makes no sense since none can be sold without CARB approval regardless of what state it is in.
Am I off-base on this?

Just stopped in Manhattan Motorcars (not my dealership) and they told me they wonā€™t be getting any stock because NY is a CARB state. Honestly think they simply have no idea.

Several Rimacs and Koenigseggs available so I guess the Emira is even more exclusive!
Galpin in Los Angeles told me same thing yesterday. They wont recieve vehicles until CARB. (Still crossing fingers and toes on CARB btw...)

At 285 cars that's $26M in revenue minimum for Lotus Cars from dealer invoices, just in time for Lotus Tech to IPO and claim the sales and revenue from Lotus cars USA in its press releases.
When is the IPO?

I help people buy EVs.

So one of the services my company provides is linking a customer with a ā€œcertified knowledgeableā€ sales person. The misinformation is incredibly bad at the dealership and people are often buying cars based on bad information about range, charging, etc.

So when someone wants say, a Cadillac Lyriq near their city, weā€™ll call and ask assessment questions to make sure the sales person has had their training (and remember it) before handing off the customer.

Many times, I simply canā€™t find anyone to pass our assessment in a 100 mile radius of the customer. Itā€™s that bad. Most are googling very basic facts on the phone with us and still getting it wrong.

Itā€™s why we also offer to educate the customer so they can be prepared before they get to the desk.
Do you have a website?

On the out the door price, dont let the dealers forget to subtract the deposit $ put down. Its been so long ago it's easy to forget about it. :)
And when they turn around the tablet and it has a Tip % selection screen make sure to stare them in the eyes while you select 0%. Otherwise they will sense your weakness.

On the out the door price, dont let the dealers forget to subtract the deposit $ put down. Its been so long ago it's easy to forget about it. :)
I may be dumb, but not 10k+ forget about my deposit dumb!

And when they turn around the tablet and it has a Tip % selection screen make sure to stare them in the eyes while you select 0%. Otherwise they will sense your weakness.
Tipping has gotten ridiculous. I started pulling cash out of the ATM to go to places because almost everywhere tips. Some of our "boonies" gas stations have tip things. I know its game over when they say "And its going to ask you one more question". I tip VERY well for pizza delivery and when I go out to eat and the service is great, but not for simple things.

I help people buy EVs.

After satisfying some basic level of capability in terms of function and fit-for-purpose, everything else is irrational subjective preference. This aspect of consumer behavior essentially made it possible for marketing to be a thing aside from just listing specifications about the product. People buy things based on how it makes them feel, what their friend said, or what they had for breakfast. The fact is, for the vast majority of the people who walk in the door of a car dealership, the vast majority of cars in that showroom would work just fine for their transportation needs. Whether they pick this or that brand, model, design, color, or option, matters very little in most purchase decisions. Things usually come down to 1) what's available and 2) how much it will cost.

I have bought many cars, and also helped many people buy cars. A friend recently came to me convinced that she needed my help buying a Nissan, but ended up with a Mazda after I was done. People like us who care to learn everything about the cars, mulling over options, color, configuration, etc, are a tiny minority. The car dealerships are staffed to cater to the malleable masses and to *DISCOURAGE* people like us from taking up their time. If you do find a knowledgeable salesperson, it would have been because of personal enthusiasm, and not professional training.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back