• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

After satisfying some basic level of capability in terms of function and fit-for-purpose,

That's the key, and the part I'm focused on. It's extra important for EVs, because an EV that doesn't fit a driver's lifestyle can be disruptive. It's a whole new language that most casual buyers do not speak. Sales people are not reliable translators, nor do they have any desire to educate, it takes too long. The bigger problem is, they don't even have their basic facts right most of the time.

96,800.00 car price with selected upgrades
4114.00 Delaware auto tax 4.25%
2400.00 Delivery fee
250.00 tags and title fees
Total 103,564.00
I expect a dealer prep fee of LESS than $1,000. In Dallas it’s 899 or 950 something like that. That covers their PDI paint correction, software updates, warranty registration, premium full fill, system check, probably program the sat nav and radio etc. is is a little puffery of a fee? Yes. Do you get some value add? Yes. On a used car you are free to whine all you want, in a new, it’s on the actual sticker. My order form shows my configuration code, MSRP, and dealer fee of $$$. If I don’t like it, I can buy a McLaren

So CARB states get no cars? Makes no sense since none can be sold without CARB approval regardless of what state it is in.
Am I off-base on this?

So CARB states get no cars? Makes no sense since none can be sold without CARB approval regardless of what state it is in.
Am I off-base on this?
Putting too much trust in CARB states not letting anyone including the dealer employees test drive before CARB is passed. This has already been covered. Always take the safe road. Imagine how much it would suck if a CARB State dealer let someone drive around the block and then got caught. Maybe just a hefty fine.... maybe another delay to the whole process. The fines are probably more then the 1 or 2 month storage fees, plus risk delaying further.

Putting too much trust in CARB states not letting anyone including the dealer employees test drive before CARB is passed. This has already been covered. Always take the safe road. Imagine how much it would suck if a CARB State dealer let someone drive around the block and then got caught. Maybe just a hefty fine.... maybe another delay to the whole process. The fines are probably more then the 1 or 2 month storage fees, plus risk delaying further.
But that same fine will happen whether the cars are sold (or CARB rules violated) anywhere, CARB state or not. That too has already been covered. Keeping some cars stuck in the sea spray in port while shipping others is arguably the most unnecessary and complicated way to handle this logistically (in my opinion). I am not surprised, but it's still pretty asinine.

Once CARB passes you can bet all the non-CARB dealers with Emiras at the ready will sell their entire inventory in the first week or two, probably before the remaining CARB dealers even get their shipments in and PDI for their customers. More needless delays and poor decisions by Lotus.

Hmmm

Looking through all that, it looks like an approx 90 day window from testing to Executive Order. Also looks like Subaru was on their game as the got CARB approval for their 2024 Crosstrek on 10/28/2022 revised on 11/15/2022. Nothing from Lotus...

Last edited:
I expect a dealer prep fee of LESS than $1,000. In Dallas it’s 899 or 950 something like that. That covers their PDI paint correction, software updates, warranty registration, premium full fill, system check, probably program the sat nav and radio etc. is is a little puffery of a fee? Yes. Do you get some value add? Yes. On a used car you are free to whine all you want, in a new, it’s on the actual sticker. My order form shows my configuration code, MSRP, and dealer fee of $$$. If I don’t like it, I can buy a McLaren
4.25% I wish ..here in Ontario Canada we pay HST 13% and a luxury tax over 100k can't remember how they figure that new tax out.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back