• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

It’s not good enough. Lotus needs to step up and communicate what is going on. This bull 💩 is redic. They still don’t show submission on the carb site. As far as it shows it looks pretty consistent that it takes 90 days for approval.
Because your car is more than likely at port. They won't share vins because if someone lists their car for sale... that's a hefty fine for Lotus.

Stopped by SLC Motorcars again. A few more cars showed up recently.

IMG_1172.jpeg

IMG_1169.jpeg
IMG_1168.jpeg
IMG_1167.jpeg

It’s not good enough. Lotus needs to step up and communicate what is going on. This bull 💩 is redic. They still don’t show submission on the carb site. As far as it shows it looks pretty consistent that it takes 90 days for approval.
Are you new here? Lotus has been bending us over for YEARS!

Because your car is more than likely at port. They won't share vins because if someone lists their car for sale... that's a hefty fine for Lotus.
Personally, I believe very few, if any, of the CARB cars are at port. Given the number of cars that have been received in the US to date, I would guess that substantially all of them are for non-CARB states and have been shipped out to those dealers.

If the CARB state FE 1.0/2.0 cars have been built, they are either on the water on other boats, or they are still in the UK.

I still don't understand why they're splitting up CARB vs. non-CARB cars. NONE of them can be sold until it passes anyways, so what's the point of adding all this unnecessary complexity with holding some back for no reason? Am I missing something here? Unless the answer is simply: "Lotus defies all common sense once again".

Personally, I believe very few, if any, of the CARB cars are at port. Given the number of cars that have been received in the US to date, I would guess that substantially all of them are for non-CARB states and have been shipped out to those dealers.

If the CARB state FE 1.0/2.0 cars have been built, they are either on the water on other boats, or they are still in
I still don't understand why they're splitting up CARB vs. non-CARB cars. NONE of them can be sold until it passes anyways, so what's the point of adding all this unnecessary complexity with holding some back for no reason? Am I missing something here? Unless the answer is simply: "Lotus defies all common sense once again".
Could be there is a concern that test drives in production vehicles in CARB states might take place leading to potential fines?

Could be there is a concern that test drives in production vehicles in CARB states might take place leading to potential fines?
An interesting theory, although that would imply US spec test drives in non-CARB states are allowed, which we know from dealers is not the case. Either way, I just hope this saga ends ASAP so we can all finally enjoy the very delayed gratification of owning a car we've waited years for... I can already picture the reactions if CARB doesn't pass next month 😬

If we read California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 43152:

"No person who is engaged in this state in the business of selling to an ultimate purchaser, or renting or leasing new motor vehicles or new motor vehicle engines, including, but not limited to, manufacturers, distributors, and dealers, shall intentionally or negligently import, deliver, purchase, receive, or otherwise acquire a new motor vehicle, new motor vehicle engine, or vehicle with a new motor vehicle engine which is intended for use primarily in this state, for sale or resale to an ultimate purchaser who is a resident of or doing business in this state, or for registration, leasing or rental in this state, which has not been certified pursuant to this chapter. No person shall attempt or assist in any such act."

And according to California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 43154:

(a)(1) A person who violates any provision of this article shall be subject to a civil penalty not to exceed thirty-seven thousand five hundred dollars ($37,500) for each such action. For a manufacturer or distributor who violates any provision of this article, the payment of the penalty and making the vehicles compliant with applicable emission control laws may be required by the executive officer of the state board as conditions for the continued sale in this state of those motor vehicles.

(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1), a dealer, as defined in Section 285 of the Vehicle Code, who violates any provision of this article shall be subject to a civil penalty not to exceed ten thousand dollars ($10,000) for each such action.

An interesting theory, although that would imply US spec test drives in non-CARB states are allowed, which we know from dealers is not the case. Either way, I just hope this saga ends ASAP so we can all finally enjoy the very delayed gratification of owning a car we've waited years for... I can already picture the reactions if CARB doesn't pass next month 😬
Big if true. Oh wait…

Yeah, breaking down the letter from the dealers, everything hinges on “January” but in that same letter it defines “delay” as 2-3 or 6 months - 0 people from Lotus have acknowledged this 2.5 year wait that should have been around a year and the 18 month actual delay.

So, if you’re a fan of history repeating itself, I’ll take the over.

January will not happen. (and it hurts)

Puts on tin foil hat.

I am still a little murky on whether Lotus is going to *conduct testing* in January, or expects to receive CARB approval in January. For sure we've been told that it's the later. However, I do see discussions that it's actual testing that they will be doing in January.

Radio silence from Gator Motorsports points to changed plans from what they've previously communicated.

yeah not clear on that either. Wether we wait 1 month or 3+ depends on that detail.

Puts on tin foil hat.

I am still a little murky on whether Lotus is going to *conduct testing* in January, or expects to receive CARB approval in January. For sure we've been told that it's the later. However, I do see discussions that it's actual testing that they will be doing in January.

Radio silence from Gator Motorsports points to changed plans from what they've previously communicated.
This was why I gave up in November. The number of broken promises by Lotus has significantly exceeded my upper limit, and shows no sign of slowing down post-delivery. The car is pretty and all, but it's not worth being made a fool over.

Puts on tin foil hat.

This was honestly just poor language choice and telephone game. There's no way in hell they're expecting to CONDUCT testing in January.

This was honestly just poor language choice and telephone game. There's no way in hell they're expecting to CONDUCT testing in January.
I agree with you, solely because it would feel insane to ship all of these cars with a very real possibility that you could fail testing. Feels like they must have some level of communication to know that it will be approved.

Dealers would flip out having their entire lots filled with Emiras that they can't do anything with for any long period of time.

I agree with you, solely because it would feel insane to ship all of these cars with a very real possibility that you could fail testing. Feels like they must have some level of communication to know that it will be approved.

Dealers would flip out having their entire lots filled with Emiras that they can't do anything with for any long period of time.
Yea... the *LOGICAL* assumption is that Lotus obtained satisfactory results and received favorable non-official feedback from CARB reviewers. Having worked with US and state/local government agencies in the past, they can be very helpful in helping an applicant through a process. Sending cars to the us while still waiting to conduct CARB testing would be very risky.

I'll throw in my estimate.... Lotus shipped cars before year end to pad the sales books for the 2023 year. At the same time they would not have jammed up dealers lot's with Emira's to sit for months on end. I think CARB testing had already started prior to shipping cars and Lotus would have known the manual Emira had passed and the Auto / i4 did not pass for whatever reason. It seems to be a paperwork issue since we know the i4 engine is clearly compliant with current emissions standards.

The fact that they were hiring a new director/engineer's for emissions cert. shows someone at Lotus screwed up and created this delay hence why I believe it is paperwork related.

Lotus knows the V6 will receive CARB certification, otherwise the law suits from US dealers against Lotus USA/UK would probably put the company under. They clearly sat the dealer principles down and showed them the paperwork / situation clearly enough to where the dealers felt confident in receiving and more importantly paying for the Emira's to arrive at the dealerships.

I think it receives CARB certification by mid Feb.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back