• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

I'm in a CARB state... had my VIN since the beginning of December. Even shows up for insurance quote purposes. Its a valid registered VIN registered with NHSTA.

I'm in a CARB state... had my VIN since the beginning of December. Even shows up for insurance quote purposes. Its a valid registered VIN registered with NHSTA.
I think your dealer had super powers. Other CARB state customers didn't have VINs. I still don't. Still waiting...

I heard that us V6 auto/I4 customers can change our specs because of the delay. Has anyone contacted their dealer, or your dealer contacted you about that?

Just got back from my vacation, and my dealer texted me my VIN (I am in WA, a CARB state)...
I also test-drove both 2.0T and 3.5 MT while I was in Hangzhou, China (the headquarters of Geely (and Alibaba, etc) is in Hangzhou). Both cars are supposed to have 400 hp + of power but the power delivery is completely different. Yeah I know from the charts you can tell, but the drives are so different. The AMG engine has so much torque down at the lower rpm range if you are in the right gear. You feel the power by pressing the gas pedal. The AMG engine gives you a feeling of a monster sitting behind you. While the 3.5 2GR engine provides a much lighter, nimble, and agile feeling. It is counter-intuitive, I know, how does a heavier car provide a lighter, more delightful driving experience? I guess it has to do with the linear power output powered with a manual transmission. The gear ratio is short so I can row the gears even on public roads with speed cameras everywhere.

Which engine is better, I cannot say. But I sure know I prefer the 3.5 MT powertrain 100%. As to how the Emira compares to my GT4 RS parked to the left, I prefer to own both. Porsche drives very differently than Lotus. Driving a Porsche GT product is to let the rational you take control, you feel the adrenaline rush, sensational stimulation, etc after pushing it to a certain level. If you are not over 5k rpm or less than 0.6 cornering G, a Porsche GT car does not reward you much. An Emira on the other hand, gives me instant reward when I press the gas pedal or just turn it around a corner. It is a car that can easily make you laugh.
I am pretty happy with my garage lineup, Emira for weekend fun drives and canyon drives, and Porsches for the track.

Attachments

• 4B75E0D7-6680-4EFE-9D17-44A3CA2CA382.jpeg
    4B75E0D7-6680-4EFE-9D17-44A3CA2CA382.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 9E2CE414-8B47-4682-9788-7CCF0C19DED8.jpeg
    9E2CE414-8B47-4682-9788-7CCF0C19DED8.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 5177820C-F9ED-4BF4-9196-05F2800A3414.jpeg
    5177820C-F9ED-4BF4-9196-05F2800A3414.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 4CAC06E9-1F7E-48C2-9C53-9DC941AF7167.jpeg
    4CAC06E9-1F7E-48C2-9C53-9DC941AF7167.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 125
Just got back from my vacation, and my dealer texted me my VIN (I am in WA, a CARB state)...
I also test-drove both 2.0T and 3.5 MT while I was in Hangzhou, China (the headquarters of Geely (and Alibaba, etc) is in Hangzhou). Both cars are supposed to have 400 hp + of power but the power delivery is completely different. Yeah I know from the charts you can tell, but the drives are so different. The AMG engine has so much torque down at the lower rpm range if you are in the right gear. You feel the power by pressing the gas pedal. The AMG engine gives you a feeling of a monster sitting behind you. While the 3.5 2GR engine provides a much lighter, nimble, and agile feeling. It is counter-intuitive, I know, how does a heavier car provide a lighter, more delightful driving experience? I guess it has to do with the linear power output powered with a manual transmission. The gear ratio is short so I can row the gears even on public roads with speed cameras everywhere.

Which engine is better, I cannot say. But I sure know I prefer the 3.5 MT powertrain 100%. As to how the Emira compares to my GT4 RS parked to the left, I prefer to own both. Porsche drives very differently than Lotus. Driving a Porsche GT product is to let the rational you take control, you feel the adrenaline rush, sensational stimulation, etc after pushing it to a certain level. If you are not over 5k rpm or less than 0.6 cornering G, a Porsche GT car does not reward you much. An Emira on the other hand, gives me instant reward when I press the gas pedal or just turn it around a corner. It is a car that can easily make you laugh.
I am pretty happy with my garage lineup, Emira for weekend fun drives and canyon drives, and Porsches for the track.
I'm assuming your dealer is Park Place in Bellevue? Who is your salesman?

...If you are not over 5k rpm or less than 0.6 cornering G, a Porsche GT car does not reward you much. An Emira on the other hand, gives me instant reward when I press the gas pedal or just turn it around a corner. It is a car that can easily make you laugh.
I haven't driven my Emira yet, but your words sum up exactly why I've been happy to wait for this car. Thank you.

Excellent feedback! Thank you. :alien:

Yea, the small turbo 4s that MB makes has HUGE torque output at low RPMs, giving you that push into the seat feeling. It's uncanny how they are able to do this, giving a small engine the feeling of a big V6/V8.

Yea, the small turbo 4s that MB makes has HUGE torque output at low RPMs, giving you that push into the seat feeling. It's uncanny how they are able to do this, giving a small engine the feeling of a big V6/V8.
Absolutely. Once the turbo has some boost, it will give you big torque like a V8 for sure. The driver does have to maintain the RPM, otherwise it will take a while for the big turbo to spin up (1500 rpm at 5th gear is like a granny's Avalon).
I remember from my drive in the AMG gtr pro (biturbo v8), the two cars feel almost the same as if you were pushed by Hulk against the seat under hard acceleration. The difference is the v8 amg engine is more responsive to throttle input, the 4 cylinder one, not so much. In other words, the 4 cylinder AMG engine may not have as much throttle modulation compared to the 2GR.

It's a good Friday, Just got my VIN today. Car is still at Hethel but expected to ship within 2 weeks. Looking at end of February for delivery. Deposit holder since October 2021. The end is in sight. Thrilled at the news.

August, 2022 deposit at Gator. I was originally down for a base edition.
Tony called me today and offered an FE 2.0 slot. The estimated timeframe is January order, May build, June-July delivery.

Deciding if I want to take it or not. I have an 05 Elise & 17 Evora 400 (both purchased after my Emira deposit). I'm not sure the Emira offers much more utility compared to what it would cost me. $105,400 plus destination, taxes, etc.

It's hard to say what Evora & Emira depreciation is gonna look like. I buy my cars to drive them hard, not to make money. But, it is a consideration.

It's like to find another Emira to drive. I did a 20 minute drive back in 2022, but that was before I had my Elise or Evora. I'd love to afford them all, but the reality is I can only keep 2.

Emira Pros:
-New
-Can pick color
-Looks
-Better interior fit & finish
-More modern infotainment/electronics

Emira Cons:
-Potential quality issues (unclear how overstated or understated this is)
-Electronic parking brake
-No rear seats (not a huge con, but I'll be having kids soon and there will be some prime years they could fit in the back of the Evora for fun)
-Annual ad valorem taxes on my Elise & Evora are dirt cheap (state values them low). I'm not sure if the Emira will be the same
-Closest dealer is 2 hours away for warranty work

It would be nice to know what base editions options will look like and whatever future variants might look like (S, R, GT, etc.). Still no word on base configurator.

Anything else I should consider?

It's a good Friday, Just got my VIN today. Car is still at Hethel but expected to ship within 2 weeks. Looking at end of February for delivery. Deposit holder since October 2021. The end is in sight. Thrilled at the news.
Snap!

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back