• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

The communication from Lotus was the clear verbal statements given by Lotus senior staff, directly to camera, at Goodwood 2021, and then Goodwood 2022. They made earnest comments about production and homologation that were explicitly inclusive of US market product. They even got on The Smoking Tire podcast in December of '21 and acted like they were right on the verge of completing homologation and starting full scale production, when in reality they hadn't even started the regulatory process, either in the UK/EU markets or in the US.

Then Matt Windle got on camera in June of 2022 and filmed a video apologizing for supply chain delays and made a series of explicit promises to their UK customers about honoring of original order pricing following the delays, all of which were subsequently broken in short order. "The price you've been quoted is the price you'll pay." Something like 60 days later, it turned out to be a lie, and many UK customers canceled their orders in protest.

That's in addition to the many assurances and general messaging received by journalists in the UK and EU in response to their pointed questions to Lotus senior management over the last 3 years. There were even multiple interviews with Matt Windle and Russell Carr on camera, by multiple outlets. TheLotusForums did a long-form interview with Matt Windle before the original Goodwood reveal. And then there were a boatload of them after, including multiple factory walk-through videos and discussions about production, the last of which was with Harry Metcalfe. And there was even a damn Channel 4 documentary about the "new Lotus". I have a copy of it if you want one.

You have to understand, for those of us who have been watching this shit show from the beginning, it's been insane. We've had a bizarre front-row seat to watch them outright lie to journalists and the public whenever they've been on camera, and then, rather inexcusably, lie to their own dealers about product production and delivery schedules. Lotus have to have known that the things they've said weren't correct, or not achievable. It's not like the regulatory process is a surprise. It's the same every time! The dealers could do nothing other than pass those lies forward as though they were fact, though many dealers stopped doing that after they'd been burned two or three times.

And then on the other hand, as US customers we've literally received zero meaningful communication from Lotus following the placement of our deposits and locked-in orders, because apparently the one constituency they feel NO responsibility toward whatsoever is their paying customers.

Utter nonsense, all of it. I'll be very happy to receive the car when it finally comes, because the one department in the company that seems to have their asses in proper gear is the engineering team, but my trust in the company itself hovers somewhere functionally around zero.
Fair.

I placed a deposit in November of 2021, so certainly nowhere near the earliest, but I've still been on this crazy train for well over 2 years. I knew originally I had missed the FE1.0 700 and that my timeline would take far longer. Ironically though my car is already here so I'm now in the same boat.

You are correct on their having been zero meaningful communication directly from Lotus to the US customers. There should have been more so that it was clear what was actually going on. They are 100% in wrong for that. I'm just saying that we've started to create deadlines though off of hearsay, rather than any actual message from Lotus. I think "end of January" is simply from dealers telling us what they heard, but we don't know if dealers were told "first few weeks of 2024" and dealers just interpreted that as end of January. It would seem odd that if CARB EO's only come out mid-month (once a month) that Lotus would say end of January, where the "first few weeks" I can at least mentally see someone thinking mid-February (6 weeks) still counts and that lines up with CARB EOs. While Lotus' terrible communication is at fault for why none of us know what is really going on, I think we have to also be fair that we may have all clung to a deadline that could have been an incorrect assumption.

The communication from Lotus was the clear verbal statements given by Lotus senior staff, directly to camera, at Goodwood 2021, and then Goodwood 2022. They made earnest comments about production and homologation that were explicitly inclusive of US market product. They even got on The Smoking Tire podcast in December of '21 and acted like they were right on the verge of completing homologation and starting full scale production, when in reality they hadn't even started the regulatory process, either in the UK/EU markets or in the US.

Then Matt Windle got on camera in June of 2022 and filmed a video apologizing for supply chain delays and made a series of explicit promises to their UK customers about honoring of original order pricing following the delays, all of which were subsequently broken in short order. "The price you've been quoted is the price you'll pay." Something like 60 days later, it turned out to be a lie, and many UK customers canceled their orders in protest.

That's in addition to the many assurances and general messaging received by journalists in the UK and EU in response to their pointed questions to Lotus senior management over the last 3 years. There were even multiple interviews with Matt Windle and Russell Carr on camera, by multiple outlets. TheLotusForums did a long-form interview with Matt Windle before the original Goodwood reveal. And then there were a boatload of them after, including multiple factory walk-through videos and discussions about production, the last of which was with Harry Metcalfe. And there was even a damn Channel 4 documentary about the "new Lotus". I have a copy of it if you want one.

You have to understand, for those of us who have been watching this shit show from the beginning, it's been insane. We've had a bizarre front-row seat to watch them outright lie to journalists and the public whenever they've been on camera, and then, rather inexcusably, lie to their own dealers about product production and delivery schedules. Lotus have to have known that the things they've said weren't correct, or not achievable. It's not like the regulatory process is a surprise. It's the same every time! The dealers could do nothing other than pass those lies forward as though they were fact, though many dealers stopped doing that after they'd been burned two or three times.

And then on the other hand, as US customers we've literally received zero meaningful communication from Lotus following the placement of our deposits and locked-in orders, because apparently the one constituency they feel NO responsibility toward whatsoever is their paying customers.

Utter nonsense, all of it. I'll be very happy to receive the car when it finally comes, because the one department in the company that seems to have their asses in proper gear is the engineering team, but my trust in the company itself hovers somewhere functionally around zero.
If you change US/UK/EU to china, then everything they said was correct.

China is the only market for over a year that has been able to sell both the V6 and i4. - They just lied about who they were prioritizing.

Hello

If anyone want back out on lotus emira v1 first edition / blue or yellow / black interior im ready to take your deposit . Please let me know I’m on the list for over two years and if someone financially can’t deliver car I’m happy to solved that problem and get one for my wife

we don't know if dealers were told "first few weeks of 2024" and dealers just interpreted that as end of January
FYI, the "first few weeks of 2024" timeframe came straight from Lotus in their email sent out to customers last week:

1706221994136.png

Also for fun I did a quick google of the precise definition of "a few", which yielded this funny yet unhelpful answer:

1706222204651.png

Ahhhh, "between two and several"! That clears things up... 😂

I can bet once carb is approved and we get some movement on the NA Emiras that Geely will be doing a nice restructure of the Hethel management. As they should.

Eh, I'm buying one because I've always wanted a Lotus and because it's one of the last hand built cars. Hopefully this doesn't go so far as to be just another mass produced car.

I can bet once carb is approved and we get some movement on the NA Emiras that Geely will be doing a nice restructure of the Hethel management. As they should.
agree with @eriegz ... Lotus management did exactly what they were told... Triple Hethel production sold units and make sure China is the #1 served marked... oh and win the Macao GT4 race series for Lotus inaugural race under Geely... Apart from the delays in 2022, Lotus management nailed the brief.

CARB - “where is the software programmed for the Emira?”

Lotus - “it’s done in China, we share many electronic components with other Geely brands, namely Lync & co”

CARB - “China?… I think we need to bring in an Emira and do some more testing.”

Lotus - “errrr, ok…. Please leave it on charge in between test…”

CARB - “it looks like we can’t get the car started after parking it overnight.”

Lotus - “Ahhh, yes it needs a software update, should be ready mid January”

CARB - “ok… you sure it will work? We need to be able to start the car to test emissions.”

Lotus - “ I think it should work, we will find out once our Spanish friend in Bilbao tests it for us. He just got it today!”
CARB: "Only 4 biz days left in January..."

Lotus; "We never said which January..."

Hello

If anyone want back out on lotus emira v1 first edition / blue or yellow / black interior im ready to take your deposit . Please let me know I’m on the list for over two years and if someone financially can’t deliver car I’m happy to solved that problem and get one for my wife
Go to Autotrader. Pretty sure some of the advertised cars are actually for sale from customers who pulled out.

Is there a timeline of events from the moment order books opened in July 2021 until now?

Can you help me fill in the gaps?:

- July 2021: dealers began taking deposits for Spring 2022 deliveries. Deposits varied between $2500 - $10000. Most refundable, some not.

-March-May 2022: FE1.0 orders locked in during this time. Deliveries promised Nov 2022 - Jan 2023. Some dealers required extra non-refundable deposits at this point.

- Aug 2022:
  • Matt Windle video announcing more delays.
  • Lotus email stating US market production will not commence until January 2023, with of a target of March for the first deliveries.
- March 2023:
  • Increased prices, new colors and FE2.0 announced. Confirmed locked in FE 1.0 orders to be honored at original MSRP.
  • Lotus informs dealers of additional delays. US Production now to start May 2023. Vehicles to arrive July 2023 and be stored until certification documentation is received (Expected mid Oct through Dec).
  • Lotus tells dealers supply chain & production issues have been alleviated. Production rate is around 80%-90% of capacity, and 100s of Emira are being built monthly.

**MISSING DATA POINT REGARDING PRODUCTION NOW NOT STARTING UNTIL SEPT**

- Nov 2023:
  • Dealer conference.
  • Lotus still waiting on CARB certification for V6 Manual Emira. Expected by the end of January 2024
  • V6 Manual cars en-route to US, both FE1.0 and 2.0
  • V6 Auto delayed until mid 2024
  • i4 DCT delayed until early 2025
- Jan 2024:
  • CARB certification still pending
  • 500+ cars sitting at dealerships across the country.
  • Lotus sends an email to customers about a gift and to expect deliveries first few weeks of 2024
  • Several dealers tell customers that email was sent by mistake and was not meant for the US market.
  • AutomotiveNews article published. Lotus PR now states there are software updates needed in addition to CARB approval before cars can be sold. Articles claims Lotus had originally estimated end of Jan for for CARB certification but has now backed off that date, no update on new timeline.

What am I missing/get wrong?

Last edited:
Can you help me fill in the gaps?:
March-May 2022: FE1.0 orders locked in, 3 monthly batches, deliveries promised Nov 2022 - Jan 2023. Some dealers required extra nonrefundable deposit at this point.

Nov 2022: I could swear there was an update from dealers at this point about "deliveries will now be Spring 2023, i.e. Nov->Apr, Dec->May, Jan->Jun"

agree with @eriegz ... Lotus management did exactly what they were told... Triple Hethel production sold units and make sure China is the #1 served marked... oh and win the Macao GT4 race series for Lotus inaugural race under Geely... Apart from the delays in 2022, Lotus management nailed the brief.
Oh, I meant like "I too wish this would happen, but I know it won't". 😅

March-May 2022: FE1.0 orders locked in, 3 monthly batches, deliveries promised Nov 2022 - Jan 2023. Some dealers required extra nonrefundable deposit at this point.

Nov 2022: I could swear there was an update from dealers at this point about "deliveries will now be Spring 2023, i.e. Nov->Apr, Dec->May, Jan->Jun"
Thanks, added!

Correct Nov. 2024
Then looks great from what I know.
Thanks

Oops, what even is time?

Yup, around Nov 22 there was a dealer demo tour with a Lotus rep on site. They said they would be expecting cars in the next couple months and that I should expect my car around June 23 (I’m now FE 2 with a March build date). This was based on 5-6 cars per month and being around #30. So expectation would have been placing a base edition order Feb/March 2023 for a April 2023 factory build?

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back