• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

haha damn I step away for a moment and I become a meme.

My bad , look I have a solid source who I trust for information and the source trust me to keep him confidential.

So bottom line is there is a further delay , exact details I dont know didn’t ask because really to me it doesn’t make a difference.

Next shot as car freedom is feb 12, it could be later

Sorry for the shitty news

Taking bets if 1st customer get’s their car by day 1000 since Goodwood.

Can’t make this up “Your starting date is July 6, 2021 so that means that 1000 days later would be April 1, 2024.” 🤣
1000 days to build and sell a car with the same engine/transmission and all major engineering completed in 2009. How many billions did Geely spend on Hethel? So many people hired . . . So little work done. This makes Danny Bahar reckless spending look like chump change.

I have the feeling that they did not submit paperwork until mid December, and the 90 day period within CARB has to approve would it put to mid march.
as many have pointed out here already, CARB is not doing any testing at this stage, all they do is certify the Manufacturer performed tests, and they have to issue a decision on that within 90 days.

I actually had email correspondences with CARB today, surprisingly quite fast and helpful. They could confirm there is no certification of the Lotus Emira, and recommended to check back frequently on their site. However after me asking if their were in receipt of an application, and as to the application date, they said that it was confidential, however they did confirm that a decision would be made by CARB within 90 days……

not having all facts obviously at hand, I put my bet down on the 90 days passing by mid march….as that could make sense……it is getting pathetic for sure though

my car is getting ppf’ed this week, so that makes me feel a little better protection wise……
There has been many sources, including journalistic, that if CARB finds something irregular with a filling, they can request a car to have tested. I assume this is what happened.

I actually told my GM that I would be willing to attest to that in writing that I do not sell, register, loan, rent, etc the car in any CARB state until CARB had been approved, however I think we will be pounding sand with that
Yes, the likelihood of Lotus doing anything somewhat sensible with this rollout is very low at this point...

I do hope for everyone that this is just a paperwork issue and the Feb 12th date is the one!

My dealer told me Saturday Lotus is having to pay the dealers for their storage and floor space. Not sure how true since half of them were parked outside.
Lotus is probably sending them the check 'soon' for that.
I’ve been told this too

1000 days to build and sell a car with the same engine/transmission and all major engineering completed in 2009. How many billions did Geely spend on Hethel? So many people hired . . . So little work done. This makes Danny Bahar reckless spending look like chump change.
Lotus has been sending cars to China since Mid 2022 and First deliveries to EU fall of 2022. I am sure that once they release annual sales for 2023, it will be the single largest sales year in Lotus history. Hardly consider that a failure like Danny Bahar's time. Not to mention they finally delivered an Evija this year (to china first), Won a GT3 race placing 1,2 (in China). We are just upset that we have zero priority to Lotus. Rightfully so, we should be upset. But is it a failure in terms of sales for Hethel overall? I don't think so and at the end of the day, that's all they care about.

Last edited:
I’ve been told this too
It is either Lotus pays them for storage and floor planning (financing of inventory) or face a class action law suit by all Lotus dealers. Which may still happen if this does not get solved in a timely fashion. Business is business and Lotus HQ is making these dealers look bad and in turn can be considered a loss of business due to Lotus' inability to produce product as promised. There is a good chance this may still happen. More likely Lotus starts writing cheque's to these dealers to keep them from progressing down that road. Holding unsellable inventory for three + months and dealing with hundreds of pissed of customers is going to be painful.

haha damn I step away for a moment and I become a meme.

My bad , look I have a solid source who I trust for information and the source trust me to keep him confidential.

So bottom line is there is a further delay , exact details I dont know didn’t ask because really to me it doesn’t make a difference.

Next shot as car freedom is feb 12, it could be later

Sorry for the shitty news
My unwavering multi-year faith in MIGZ never lets me down.

There is a good chance that Lotus is waiting for 500 Electre's to show up stateside to off set CARB and be able to use the EV credits. I do wonder if this is the true hold up. Financially, It makes sense.

There is a good chance that Lotus is waiting for 500 Electre's to show up stateside to off set CARB and be able to use the EV credits. I do wonder if this is the true hold up. Financially, It makes sense.
That sounds terrifyingly possible.

Also possible, they just want to see 500 pages on this thread. Get to typing everyone.

I was literally just discussing this idea with my wife.

My wife and I had our 2nd kiddo on Friday (Jan 26) and here I was in December hoping the Emira would come before the baby. Now, I'm just hoping it comes before my paternity leave ends in mid-late March. With the latest news even that is now firmly in question.

My wife and I had our 2nd kiddo on Friday (Jan 26) and here I was in December hoping the Emira would come before the baby. Now, I'm just hoping it comes before my paternity leave ends in mid-late March. With the latest news even that is now firmly in question.
Congratulations, Kevin.

Lotus has been sending cars to China since Mid 2022 and First deliveries to EU fall of 2022. I am sure that once they release annual sales for 2023, it will be the single largest sales year in Lotus history. Hardly consider that a failure like Danny Bahar's time. Not to mention they finally delivered an Evija this year (to china first), Won a GT3 race placing 1,2 (in China). We are just upset that we have zero priority to Lotus. Rightfully so, we should be upset. But is it a failure in terms of sales for Hethel overall? I don't think so and at the end of the day, that's all they care about.
I agree on all counts, but if the goal is to make money as a going concern, then USA/Canada is highest profit and revenue and has saved the company from insolvency more than once. All that's needed is the basics of paper work.

As you mention, it's turning into another vanity project like the previous owners of Lotus. Next up, their pride won't let them sell complete control or make viable business plans, or execute simple business plans, just like proton did.

So lame . . .

I agree on all counts, but if the goal is to make money as a going concern, then USA/Canada is highest profit and revenue and has saved the company from insolvency more than once. All that's needed is the basics of paper work.

As you mention, it's turning into another vanity project like the previous owners of Lotus. Next up, their pride won't let them sell complete control or make viable business plans, or execute simple business plans, just like proton did.

So lame . . .
This very well may go down the Proton way.... but for now, Chinese built cars have a 27.5% tariff on them. That is significant, and not sure if it gives Geely enough incentive to care about US sales at the moment. Especially if they have a good amount coming in from Asia and EU.

Proton was selling Lotus cars made only in Hethel, Geely is selling Lotus electric cars built in Wuhan and a small amount from Hethel. This all just feels like a very very low effort for Lotus USA, meanwhile in other parts of the world, Lotus seems much more organized. I could be wrong. Perhaps Lotus really can't change no matter how much investment.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back