• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

If we are indeed looking at mid Feb to March for CARB, I think Lotus needs to bite the bullet and release the federally legal units in their respective non CARB states. They could probably put some sort of penalty on anyone who attempts to register the car in a CARB state prior to approval, such as a warranty void. They could also alert all CARB compliant state's DMV/RMVs to not allow registration till approved. Maybe they are trying to be fair to everyone who has ordered? It is unfortunate for those in CARB states, but since it does not appear any CARB state dealers have cars yet, they will probably be looking at a longer wait anyway.

As for the certification failure, it seems from kitkat's post that exhaust emissions should not be a problem. I wonder if it has to due with CARB's sound requirements? Apparently, this is why some Porsche models have very long gearing in order to help pass the sound test.

See this vid at around 3:45 mins in.:

If we are indeed looking at mid Feb to March for CARB, I think Lotus needs to bite the bullet and release the federally legal units in their respective non CARB states. They could probably put some sort of penalty on anyone who attempts to register the car in a CARB state prior to approval, such as a warranty void. They could also alert all CARB compliant state's DMV/RMVs to not allow registration till approved. Maybe they are trying to be fair to everyone who has ordered? It is unfortunate for those in CARB states, but since it does not appear any CARB state dealers have cars yet, they will probably be waiting a bit longer wait anyway.

As for the certification failure, it seems from kitkat's post that exhaust emissions should not be a problem. I wonder if it has to due with CARB's sound requirements? Apparently, this is why some Porsche models have very long gearing in order to help pass the sound test.

See this vid at around 3:45 mins in.:
I actually told my GM that I would be willing to attest to that in writing that I do not sell, register, loan, rent, etc the car in any CARB state until CARB had been approved, however I think we will be pounding sand with that

I can confirm that I also was told by my dealer that we're looking at Feb 12-March 12th for delivery. This happened about 1.5 hours ago. The reason was that CARB still "hasn't gotten to the paperwork" yet. I don't think any additional testing was or is being done but I also believe at this point that Lotus was just late in submitting the application.

I was asked not to spread the news for at least an hour so my dealer (Lotus of Cape Fear) had time to call all of their depositors waiting for delivery. They (the dealer, clearly not Lotus) have been handling the situation very well and I feel for them. I didn't ask about making a written attestation about not moving the car into a CARB state for any reason but I guess it's worth a quick text to ask.

This has gotten beyond ridiculous.

I have the feeling that they did not submit paperwork until mid December, and the 90 day period within CARB has to approve would it put to mid march.
as many have pointed out here already, CARB is not doing any testing at this stage, all they do is certify the Manufacturer performed tests, and they have to issue a decision on that within 90 days.

I actually had email correspondences with CARB today, surprisingly quite fast and helpful. They could confirm there is no certification of the Lotus Emira, and recommended to check back frequently on their site. However after me asking if their were in receipt of an application, and as to the application date, they said that it was confidential, however they did confirm that a decision would be made by CARB within 90 days……

not having all facts obviously at hand, I put my bet down on the 90 days passing by mid march….as that could make sense……it is getting pathetic for sure though

my car is getting ppf’ed this week, so that makes me feel a little better protection wise……
Everything was supposedly submitted October 27th or 28th thus the Jan 28th "D Day" we were waiting for. The submission was posted a few pages back in the thread. What is more likely is that CARB rejected the submission and corrections need to be made. The tests all showed that Emira passed so it is likely (hopefully) a submission error in format of the official submission or something else needed. The new date of Feb 12th is likely the date these corrections/uptaded submissions will be decided upon. Does this sound about right to anyone else?

You can't make up a worse scenario, .....

Knowing Lotus's (bad) luck, ...CARB approval will arrive the day right before a massive fire at the storage holding facility breaks out burning all of the EMIRA's on hold in storage into smithereens, .......or a massive storm causing a sea water flood will occur and flood out all the cars in storage, ........or a tornado comes and drops the roof of the storage facility onto all the cars in the holding facility.

Just sayin !!!!

Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 7.01.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 7.08.55 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 6.58.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 6.58.57 PM.png
    299.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Which dealer? props to them for telling you.

This email has some explaining to do

View attachment 36489
Contact Porsche or Ferrari they probably know more than F%@*(^# Lotus about Carb certification for Lotus.
"Contact Customer Care Center" total BS
I can confirm that I also was told by my dealer that we're looking at Feb 12-March 12th for delivery. This happened about 1.5 hours ago. The reason was that CARB still "hasn't gotten to the paperwork" yet. I don't think any additional testing was or is being done but I also believe at this point that Lotus was just late in submitting the application.

I was asked not to spread the news for at least an hour so my dealer (Lotus of Cape Fear) had time to call all of their depositors waiting for delivery. They (the dealer, clearly not Lotus) have been handling the situation very well and I feel for them. I didn't ask about making a written attestation about not moving the car into a CARB state for any reason but I guess it's worth a quick text to ask.

Agree with you, we should not be as pissed off as the dealers, they have been royally screwed over in more ways than one.
As has been stated way too many times on this forum, Lotus is a total shit show of a company. How they are still in business is beyond me. How none of the top management have not been fired a long time ago is baffling .
Don't get me wrong I love the car and will wait for it.
I am sure Lotus USA and UK see what has been posted, but don't give a rats aarse about US and Canadian customers.

Dealers must be thrilled with the prospect of paying to store and insure all this unsellable inventory for another month, through absolutely no fault of their own.

"What's worse than having an empty showroom with no sales?"
"Having a full showroom with no sales"

Everything was supposedly submitted October 27th or 28th thus the Jan 28th "D Day" we were waiting for. The submission was posted a few pages back in the thread. What is more likely is that CARB rejected the submission and corrections need to be made. The tests all showed that Emira passed so it is likely (hopefully) a submission error in format of the official submission or something else needed. The new date of Feb 12th is likely the date these corrections/uptaded submissions will be decided upon. Does this sound about right to anyone else?
What the person at CARB told me via email today was that the date on that report was EPA, and that Carb and EPA go by separate priority dates, my sense is that Lotus screwed up somewhere alongbthe lines and carb rejected the application as complete, and here we go….

Dealers must be thrilled with the prospect of paying to store and insure all this unsellable inventory for another month, through absolutely no fault of their own.

Let the lawsuits fly.

My dealer told me Saturday Lotus is having to pay the dealers for their storage and floor space. Not sure how true since half of them were parked outside.
Lotus is probably sending them the check 'soon' for that.

All these issues melt away as soon as they sell the 50000 Eletres/yr the business plan called for. How's that going then? I notice the 2024 Eletre is also missing from the CARB EO list.

All these issues melt away as soon as they sell the 50000 Eletres/yr the business plan called for. How's that going then? I notice the 2024 Eletre is also missing from the CARB EO list.
I'd be shocked if they sold 10k/year of those things.

I was in Orlando over the weekend and drove by near the dealership there. I thought about stopping by but decided to keep myself pure - I still have not seen an Emira in person.
@Nova I couldn't resist and the visuals were stimulating. Now I will say that no one engaged with me at all, not even the 'receptionist' sitting behind the counter with his face glued to his phone .... even though I was the only person on the lot and in the showroom. So, I kept myself mostly pure in that I did not get to test drive.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back