• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

Sorry guys, but it's sounding like March (2022, 2023, 2024 🙄) at the earliest. Dealer confirmed.
I'm flying to London March 30th to go to Hethel. If it comes available mid-March I may just see if I can get it when I get back.

There is a good chance that Lotus is waiting for 500 Electre's to show up stateside to off set CARB and be able to use the EV credits. I do wonder if this is the true hold up. Financially, It makes sense.
Well I wish they would ship those f@cking ugly plug-ins here SOON before all interest is lost!

Well I wish they would ship those f@cking ugly plug-ins here SOON before all interest is lost!
Eletre is actually an incredible car, I’m basically first in line at my dealer (but will have to punt it a bit due to EV charging unavailable to me at this time), haven’t heard anything about so much as pricing and configurator yet so supposed mid 2024 seems to be slipping farther and farther. That said that I’ll bet that factory in Wuhan can get one here 8 weeks from order date.

wow what awful news...

i wonder if this pushes back everything. my car was expected around September, i wonder if its more like November now

My wife and I had our 2nd kiddo on Friday (Jan 26) and here I was in December hoping the Emira would come before the baby. Now, I'm just hoping it comes before my paternity leave ends in mid-late March. With the latest news even that is now firmly in question.
Congrats on the new baby! So we did get some good news in January after all!

Congrats on the new baby! So we did get some good news in January after all!
Thanks man! It is definitely helping in keeping me busy with the wait. I had jokingly told my wife I was getting two new babies around the same time but Lotus has managed to nullify that possibility as well!

Official News - Did not pass next try is FEB 12 if that does not go well it into March
Here's what happened:
CARB staffer reads recent auto press about Lotus
dealer/customer angst over certification.......
pauses then says, 'Hold my latte.'

Thanks man! It is definitely helping in keeping me busy with the wait. I had jokingly told my wife I was getting two new babies around the same time but Lotus has managed to nullify that possibility as well!
Would it somehow count if a birth certificate was issued under the name CARB?

Why does Lotus seem to be such a joke when it comes to launching this car in the US?

I really don’t understand it - the car has a Toyota v6 that the company has already used, the company has released several models in the US before so presumably knows how the emissions process works first hand, and the company now has significant institutional partners in Geely that presumably are overseeing the process and can be tapped for assistance.

I understand it’s a company producing small volumes, but other small volume manufacturers do not seem to have the same issues.

Know this may sound like a rant but it isn’t; I wasn’t expecting my car until next year anyways, so this recent news doesn’t really affect me. I’m genuinely just perplexed as to how and why Lotus can bungle this launch so hard and so consistently.

Why does Lotus seem to be such a joke when it comes to launching this car in the US?

I really don’t understand it - the car has a Toyota v6 that the company has already used, the company has released several models in the US before so presumably knows how the emissions process works first hand, and the company now has significant institutional partners in Geely that presumably are overseeing the process and can be tapped for assistance.

I understand it’s a company producing small volumes, but other small volume manufacturers do not seem to have the same issues.

Know this may sound like a rant but it isn’t; I wasn’t expecting my car until next year anyways, so this recent news doesn’t really affect me. I’m genuinely just perplexed as to how and why Lotus can bungle this launch so hard and so consistently.
The difference is even though they've made cars before, and with that same V6, they've never built a Lotus with this factory, this production system, this crew, and had to meet the current rules/regulations before. They've obviously struggled with it to put it mildly.

This is a company that historically was used to producing maybe 6 or 7 cars a day. Now they're producing 40 a day. To them that probably seems big league but it isn't even minor leagues. They have a long way to go if they want to be a big league player, but I'm not sure if they'll ever be able to even be a big league player. Wuhan might, but Hethel? I'm not sure they even need to be. They may just be the specialty group for Lotus; the group that makes the small production but highly desirable sports cars, while Wuhan makes the mass market cars.

At any rate, we're almost there. When the news was CARB certification by the "end of January", did anybody really believe it would be by the end of January? I figured February/March, and that's what it looks like it's going to be. Once we have our cars to drive, all this drama and angst will be a thing of the past. We're almost there.....

Last edited:
Meanwhile, on a storage site in Norfolk, UK, not far from Hethel........ (copied from another Lotus forum)

IMG-20240129-WA0002.jpg.60b45876bda83b59b5694266bd7d3046.jpg

I think based on the timing of the 'gift' arrival (based on what my dealer told me of shipping out this week) Lotus knew they weren't getting CARB approval in January so they are looking to try to soften the news.
I certainly would rather have a honest press release or video from Windle detailing how/why they have mismanaged the CARB process and been awful at customer communication. Give a real, honest timeline based on real facts (not hopes). Ensure they are going to support their USA dealers/customers with steps laid out after the sale as well. That would be free and probably what we all want.
won't happen though.......maybe the gift is a Lotus hourglass with concrete instead of sand.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back