• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

Until they recently built a new dealer about 1 hour from me (in 2023), my closest dealers were a 4+ hour trip in either direction, crossing multiple states. And I still placed a deposit in July of 2021.

Any time you go into a sparsely serviced region with a sports car of any kind, you have to be prepared to experience some roadside mechanical adventures. At minimum, make sure you have AAA. That's not a niche British or Lotus thing... I've experienced unexpected mechanical outcomes with cars from literally every brand, including the venerated Porsche. In fact, those more than most.

If you can't handle the idea of having a mechanical issue on a brand new car, you should buy only used cars. Let someone else experience the possible teething issues of a new product, and then buy it once they've solved them on your behalf.
Certified Porsche extended warranty 😊
Been there done that. Good experience!

Until they recently built a new dealer about 1 hour from me (in 2023), my closest dealers were a 4+ hour trip in either direction, crossing multiple states. And I still placed a deposit in July of 2021.

Any time you go into a sparsely serviced region with a sports car of any kind, you have to be prepared to experience some roadside mechanical adventures. At minimum, make sure you have AAA. That's not a niche British or Lotus thing... I've experienced unexpected mechanical outcomes with cars from literally every brand, including the venerated Porsche. In fact, those more than most.

If you can't handle the idea of having a mechanical issue on a brand new car, you should buy only used cars. Let someone else experience the possible teething issues of a new product, and then buy it once they've solved them on your behalf.
Yeah, I’ll wait for a GT spec if that comes to fruition, until then I’ll be extra careful in my GT4, ya know because disposable income and what not.

Yeah, Living two hours away from the closest lotus dealership in a rural area with sparse cell reception makes for a great time when your niche British sports car shits itself.
That would be a non-starter on a car like this for me. I have a feeling this car will be making frequent visits to the dealership.

Yeah, I’ll wait for a GT spec if that comes to fruition, until then I’ll be extra careful in my GT4, ya know because disposable income and what not.
You seem to have misunderstood my comment. I'm talking about our ability to deal with being temporarily stranded and needing rental transportation or a hotel without it being a financial burden, not our ability to buy the car.

It's a good thing all of us are resourceful, grounded adults with disposable income, a full ability to deal with any situation that might arise, and have a good enough attitude to laugh at the absurdity of such a situation rather than being furious.
Who on this forum are you accusing of being a grounded adult!

All good points actually.

dealing with unexpected "Lotus" issues is all part of the experience. We pay a premium for all the hardships we have to overcome to enjoy our cars.

Picture1.png

Seems a good time to remind everyone of this and to copy down the numbers.

From reading years of these posts, I think the main takeaway is to bring a 10mm wrench along when you pick up the car, in case you need to disconnect the battery on the way home for a system reset. (e.g. at your first gas stop)

You seem to have misunderstood my comment. I'm talking about our ability to deal with being temporarily stranded and needing rental transportation or a hotel without it being a financial burden, not our ability to buy the car.
I usually avoid buying things with higher than usual probabilities of failure. I’d be pissed if my civic shit itself due to issues outside my control.

I usually avoid buying things with higher than usual probabilities of failure. I’d be pissed if my civic shit itself due to issues outside my control.

I have to say, if that's an important consideration for you, then a Lotus is likely a very bad choice. Porsche, on the other hand, is well known for their excellent reliability.

I will say that my Elise never once broke down, or even saw the shop except for expected maintenance. But I also recognize the Emira is a bit more sophisticated and computer-controlled.

To all the Lotus pioneers, worried about their journey in a $100k sports car with heating, air conditioning, and having to travel hours! Hours I tell you! Just imagine being one of the pioneers about 170 years ago, climbing onto a wooden wagon being pulled by a team of animals, and setting out from St. Louis Missouri on a 2,000+ mile journey that's going to take over 6 months. You have air conditioning; the front and back of your cloth covered Conestoga Wagon are wide open all the time. For heating, you have to stop and light a campfire. No cell coverage either! No AAA unless you consider the U.S. Cavalry, although the forts were few and far between. Suspension was stiff, roads... well there weren't any most of the way. Wheels were iron covered wood by Good Grief. After you and the others had completed the trip, there would be ruts in the ground still visible 170 years later. No guarantee you'd make it. No guarantee of anything other than it was going to be a long and difficult journey, but come hell or high water it was Oregon or Bust.

Now can you imagine what those people would think if they could see and hear our woes and worries of today? Of the hardships we're concerned with having to face? They'd either be shocked, laugh, or embarrassed at what their descendants turned out to be like. Probably all three.

The dealer I ordered from is an 8 hour drive away. I'm having mine delivered by covered carrier. Since I placed my order July 11 of 2021, a new dealer has opened at the south end of Salt Lake City, so now the closest dealer is only 5 hours away. I hope the car is great, but if it has some issues, I'll deal with it. I know what this car represents, and I want to be a part of it. It's not for everyone, especially the faint of heart, but to those who make the journey... you're going to be a part of history, with a story to tell that only a few will be able to. Win, lose or draw, there will likely not be a time like this again in our lifetimes, certainly not mine. I'm in.

To all the Lotus pioneers, worried about their journey in a $100k sports car with heating, air conditioning, and having to travel hours! Hours I tell you! Just imagine being one of the pioneers about 170 years ago, climbing onto a wooden wagon being pulled by a team of animals, and setting out from St. Louis Missouri on a 2,000+ mile journey that's going to take over 6 months. You have air conditioning; the front and back of your cloth covered Conestoga Wagon are wide open all the time. For heating, you have to stop and light a campfire. No cell coverage either! No AAA unless you consider the U.S. Cavalry, although the forts were few and far between. Suspension was stiff, roads... well there weren't any most of the way. Wheels were iron covered wood by Good Grief. After you and the others had completed the trip, there would be ruts in the ground still visible 170 years later. No guarantee you'd make it. No guarantee of anything other than it was going to be a long and difficult journey, but come hell or high water it was Oregon or Bust.

Now can you imagine what those people would think if they could see and hear our woes and worries of today? Of the hardships we're concerned with having to face? They'd either be shocked, laugh, or embarrassed at what their descendants turned out to be like. Probably all three.

The dealer I ordered from is an 8 hour drive away. I'm having mine delivered by covered carrier. Since I placed my order July 11 of 2021, a new dealer has opened at the south end of Salt Lake City, so now the closest dealer is only 5 hours away. I hope the car is great, but if it has some issues, I'll deal with it. I know what this car represents, and I want to be a part of it. It's not for everyone, especially the faint of heart, but to those who make the journey... you're going to be a part of history, with a story to tell that only a few will be able to. Win, lose or draw, there will likely not be a time like this again in our lifetimes, certainly not mine. I'm in.
This was quite possibly the most epic old man rant I've ever personally experienced. And I can't help but applaud it. Well done, Eagle7. 🫡 🙇‍♂️

Last edited:
This was quite possibly the most epic old man rant I've ever personally experienced. And I can't help but applaud it. Well done, Eagle7. 🫡
Lol. The young rant, the old scold. Other than the forum experience I had when the 5th Gen Camaro was first announced, and we went through the order/wait process, this has been one of the most enlightening, and mostly entertaining car forum experiences I've ever had. I will definitely think back on it in the days ahead, while driving along in my Emira. Most likely on the occasional 5 hour trip to the dealer for it's first warranty service. Cheers to the pioneers!

Last edited:
To be clear, I was referring to the annoyances that would come with being stranded, not the financially implications that can come with it. I’m all about self diagnosing and disconnecting the battery with my 10mm wrench and be on my way. But if it’s not something we can fix (eg a software issue that won’t allow your car to restart), we will need to get a hotel, tow the car to a HOPEFULLY near-by lotus dealer many hours from home and then wait a few weeks until they can look at it? And then when it’s ready to be picked up; fly back and drive it home? To be fair, knowing issues could arise I’m still pumped for the car. And, as I think about it these are the kind of stories that my wife and I will talk about years from now but am hoping all goes well 👍🏻

Looks like you are a prime target client for a Dodge, Ford or Chevy with a dealer at every corner.
got me on 1/3 buddy 😉

Attachments

• IMG_6520.jpeg
    IMG_6520.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4181.jpeg
    IMG_4181.jpeg
    608.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 2D77F6BF-6D6E-48EE-925C-3845D57796F2.jpeg
    2D77F6BF-6D6E-48EE-925C-3845D57796F2.jpeg
    378.5 KB · Views: 50
To be clear, I was referring to the annoyances that would come with being stranded, not the financially implications that can come with it. I’m all about self diagnosing and disconnecting the battery with my 10mm wrench and be on my way. But if it’s not something we can fix (eg a software issue that won’t allow your car to restart), we will need to get a hotel, tow the car to a HOPEFULLY near-by lotus dealer many hours from home and then wait a few weeks until they can look at it? And then when it’s ready to be picked up; fly back and drive it home? To be fair, knowing issues could arise I’m still pumped for the car. And, as I think about it these are the kind of stories that my wife and I will talk about years from now but am hoping all goes well 👍🏻

Yeah, i mean it’s pretty obvious that’s what you ment, people here are just very sensitive to any criticism of lotus. I said bailed after the 3rd delay because i don’t see the car really worth the wait when there are other options as well as the mid rate reviews and my lack of being wow’d during my test drive.

I think those kinds of software issues have been ironed out by now. If we're going to have any kind of issues, I would expect it to be battery related. Especially since our cars have sat for months now while waiting CARB certification.