• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

I called to check on my car. My vehicle is "on the water". I was also told CARB has passed but red tape hold ups remain. Take that for whatever it's worth...but wanted to share. I was also starting to think about how long it will take the dealers to actually schedule all the deliveries of the vehicles sitting on their lots. So even when we get "the green light" - it will be a scheduling nightmare to get a good time to go get the car and actually drive away...

I called to check on my car. My vehicle is "on the water". I was also told CARB has passed but red tape hold ups remain. Take that for whatever it's worth...but wanted to share. I was also starting to think about how long it will take the dealers to actually schedule all the deliveries of the vehicles sitting on their lots. So even when we get "the green light" - it will be a scheduling nightmare to get a good time to go get the car and actually drive away...
Is the dealer a CARB state dealer? Florida dealers have all gotten their cars already.

Its not gonna take me long. Im gonna fly to Chicago, take an Uber, fork over 100k and give it the beans outta there

When I was in my late 20's I was driving a Mitubishi Evo VIII at the time, and I wanted to test drive a Boxster S to see if I wanted to change the type of vehicle I was driving.

Went to my local Porsche dealer. Walked inside and was just looking at a Boxster on the showroom floor. Sales guy started walking my way, and I'm ready to talk. He comes over and first thing out of his mouth was "That I needed to get in my car and leave and that this is only a place for "serious" buyers."

I had the cash to buy, the desire to buy, and was just a young guy who got profiled before even talking to me. It's a core memory and reason I'm not buying a Porsche now.
Similar experience when I went to the dealer to buy my GTR in 2018. Asked a sales guy to open the door and he said "that's a six figure car, we don't open the door for everyone." Found another dealer a week later with the color I wanted, flew there, and drove the car home.

This may have been covered, but I am confused why they cannot sell cars in Non-CARB states?

The fines for manufacturers, dealers and owners are steep -- and per car -- if sold in a CARB state. Since we've got a lot of cross-state buying because of limited allocations, Lotus North America has chosen not to risk this by restricting all sales until CARB passes.

The fines are like up to $37,500 per car for dealers / manufacturers and individuals can get hit with $5,000 fines personally.

It would be entirely possible for dealers to make people sign that they do not plan to register it in a CARB state but that seems like a bit of a nightmare in this modern day where pretty much all cars are 50 state legal. Throw in people reselling Emiras and it becomes a huge clusterfuck.

I'd like to see my car sooner but I can understand Lotus NA's decision.

Well, trying to pass time AGAIN… (and help making it to 500 pages 😂) I just ordered a custom license plate for 5 years … for a car I don’t even have 🥲… but still proactive … right ??😂

What did you get?

PS: I am also in Houston

Did anyone else’s dealer state that it had passed CARB approval and the red tape process is playing out? My dealer has not said this.

Yes, I thought everyone was still waiting…
Seems like they randomly selected 5% of the people with orders, sent gifts to them, and then stopped.
I say "randomly" because people who placed their deposit about 2 years after I did got their gifts and I haven't.

EDIT: It would be nice to see a poll of who received the gift and who didn't

Seems like they randomly selected 5% of the people with orders, sent gifts to them, and then stopped.
I say "randomly" because people who placed their deposit about 2 years after I did got their gifts and I haven't.
Sounds about right. My order was locked May 2022 I think and my car has been at the dealer since late December.

What did you get?

PS: I am also in Houston
I got something that only makes sense to me or people who know me 😅 “Cyclon3”. What color did you get your emira and from what dealer? We should start a Houston Emira club… it won’t be very crowded but that’s the point of buying a lotus 😂

Please don't confuse demonstrator euro spec vehicles that tour/toured North America with dealer ordered demo cars.

Dealer ordered demo cars are in the grey zone -- not sure those can legally be driven.
They cannot yet. In fact the dealer doesn't own them yet at all. I just had this explicitly clarified this morning.

[edit] To be even clearer, the cars that have been delivered to dealers thus far are still owned by Lotus, and have not been transferred to the dealer or financed on their floor plan. Which is also why they can't be driven... the dealer's insurance wouldn't cover them on the road. They're basically in storage at the dealer as an extension of the "port", because the dealer's lot is free for Lotus and the port storage buildings are not.

Last edited:
I got something that only makes sense to me or people who know me 😅 “Cyclon3”. What color did you get your emira and from what dealer? We should start a Houston Emira club… it won’t be very crowded but that’s the point of buying a lotus 😂
Hethel Yellow, black pack, black wheels silver calipers. I ordered with Lotus of Austin. Star motors ignored me lol.

I’ll PM you.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back