• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

Before we get to page 500 I just want to throw out there - when do you think we’ll hear about FE automatics? Zero points for anyone who says “soon”. That’s basic.
See page 484 Post# 9672. A letter from Galpin was posted, here is the relevant portion:

<<
Automatic V6 variants are still expected to be ready for late summer deliveries, and the AMG I4 powertrain is still slated for 2025. Order Banks for the Base Edition Emiras will be opening up in the coming months and we are still expecting those deliveries to commence in Q4 of this year. As we receive more specific information about those additional variants, including exactly when we can enter Base Edition orders, we will get that information out to you ASAP.
>>

I will say I was surprised when Lotus of Dallas didn't require any additional deposit beyond the initial 2500 to get a build locked in. I'm guessing they expect to have no problems selling the cars if someone drops out after the car arrives. And from the above looks like from a business standpoint it may work out for them for people that don't want to wait in line.

I also believe they are only doing that to cars that people dropped out from, I believe they sell at MSRP if you've been a deposit holder. (at least I hope so)
Fact They do sell at msrp. To those that had their order approved and submitted to Lotus.
They are asking the $10 plus over sticker on cars that original deposit holders with builds locked in backed out.
If anyone does not like that then don’t by the car and wait for base model at that msrp
No one is holding a gun to anyone’s head to purchase cars sitting on dealer lots

Are we surprised that Lotus Dallas is being shitty? This is the same dealership that is forcing financing lenders on people who want to finance.
That deal with them making you use their financing is absolutely incorrect. It happened with one person that was given the incorrect information by 1 sales person who did not know.
I just called there to make sure what I have said here is correct.
If you do not believe me call them yourself.

How many miles would you expect to see on the odometer at the time of delivery? Do they put many miles on them before they leave the factory?

At the factory tour I did in January, they run every Emira over a short test track (not the main on-site test track, much shorter) which has bumps so that they can listen for squeaks. It's right next to the factory building (like... 50 feet away) so that would add let's say half a mile. It also gets put on a dyno before that.

Then it gets driven to a parking position at the factory, and onto a car carrier, and onto a boat, off the boat, etc.

That deal with them making you use their financing is absolutely incorrect. It happened with one person that was given the incorrect information by 1 sales person who did not know.
I just called there to make sure what I have said here is correct.
If you do not believe me call them yourself.
No sounds good to me, glad to be corrected on this.

How many miles would you expect to see on the odometer at the time of delivery? Do they put many miles on them before they leave the factory?
There are different modes the cars are in before leaving the factory. One.mode.is. factory mode and it limits speed and doesn't count mileage being driven...it will be 0 till ship mode where it starts.to count mileage being.driven.
When I used to work at an auto plant.. I'd put on tonnes of miles using a car.as a.commuter van inside.the gates.with my team shuffling cars around and bringing in ones for.repairs etc. You're supposed to switch out.say every 50km but.some.probably.could of.been.driven many kms...lol..maybe all week.. Anyways your car.could anly have 10kms (showing odemeter)upon dealer pickup.but.could have 100km you'll never know..lol

Eh... dealerships try to maximize profits and buyers try to minimize cost. Unless they are changing something they previously agreed to, I don't see any issues.
frankly, even if you agreed to a price, until the contract is drawn up, they can charge whatever they want. Sucks. I know as this happened to me!!!

To be even clearer about this, the costs associated with PDI are charged back to the manufacturer under the normal vehicle warranty process. If the car hasn't been sold by the manufacturer yet, there's no financial structure for them to charge a warranty claim.

So that's why PDI wouldn't have taken place when the cars came off the truck. Even if the dealer wanted to float the cost themselves, it's a dangerous game to play because if one of the vehicles needs something repaired or replaced that's discovered during the PDI, there's no way to go through that warranty process yet either.
Or.they could pretend they didn't find anything on pdi and then after sale.have customer come in under warranty for repair..seen this many times.

At the factory tour I did in January, they run every Emira over a short test track (not the main on-site test track, much shorter) which has bumps so that they can listen for squeaks. It's right next to the factory building (like... 50 feet away) so that would add let's say half a mile. It also gets put on a dyno before that.

Then it gets driven to a parking position at the factory, and onto a car carrier, and onto a boat, off the boat, etc.
Its called BSR .. bumps squeaks and rattles..
Our plant didn't count mileage till it was.being.shipped in.ship mode..

Eh... dealerships try to maximize profits and buyers try to minimize cost. Unless they are changing something they previously agreed to, I don't see any issues.
Correct. I actually just finalized everything with lotus of Dallas. Contract signed and car paid for. I’m getting a FE 2.0 at new sticker price PLUS a $10k over msrp fee… do I like it ? No BUT…

I agreed to it and this way I cut the line completely. Some of you have been waiting or the car for a few years. It’s normal that you get a better price for being early adopters. I litteraly called the dealer 1 month ago and today I got a car (well almost since im getting custom stuff done to it it won’t be ready for delivery for a week or so).

So as much as I would have loved to pay less for the car, the fact that I skipped a couple of years of waiting and just got a car in 30 days makes it worth it for me to pay over f2.0 MSRP. Nobody forced me to do it and no other dealer had a car ready to go on CARB approval day and with the specs I wanted so I can’t complain.

Last edited:
This isn't crazy to me at all. They are basically stating that if you wanted to order a car it would add $12K to do so (since all new cars are FE2.0 price). And then for the benefit of it getting delivered NOW, you pay $10K-$15K more. That doesn't sound crazy unreasonable for an exclusive car that is highly desired.
I hate it but, they own the car they can ask whatever they want for it and the
market will determine what it’s worth.

They may see an opportunity to sell for a premium, they may have made investments in the dealer , had higher carrying cost for the past few months.

The business or business is business and this is car sales. They don’t care about you they just want the money.

Last edited:

Neat, I didn't realize they dyno it before shipping. That would be neat to see a video of that process as well

There was a time when they would test every car on their test track, not just for squeaks and rattles but a proper shakedown and performance and handling assessment.
As in this video from about the 13min mark ...

Running the car around a track and on a dyno always made me think that negates the break-in procedure.

Lotus when the car comes off the line: Flogs it around a track and revs it out on a dyno
Lotus when you buy the car: "Go easy on it for 1000 miles"

I hate it but, they own the car they can ask whatever they want for it and the
market will determine what it’s worth.

They may see an opportunity to sell for a premium, they may have made investments in the dealer , had higher carting cost for the past few months.

The business or business is business and this is car sales. They don’t care about you they just want the money.
Honestly, as a person who deposited in 2021 and already having to pay FE2.0 rates, I'm glad that dealers are marking them up past the FE2.0. Maybe it will help hold the values up even on the FE2.0 cars. My fear was always that the used market would start at FE1.0 pricing and just drop from there. This feels like the dealers doing a solid for early depositors.

She’s home!

Attachments

• IMG_2137.jpeg
    IMG_2137.jpeg
    491.1 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2133.jpeg
    IMG_2133.jpeg
    335 KB · Views: 248
Exciting times! Big congrats to all the lucky ones who have deliveries done/pending.

Still crickets in Canada...
At the beginning of the year I heard I4 and V6 auto are delayed by 8-10 months due to a supply chain issue with the transmissions. V6 manuals should still be on track though.

Silver calipers with the diamond cut wheels is the way to go!! 🔥
Allowing us to pick different color wheels, calipers, and black pack was really a good choice. It gave us a chance to fine tune the car to the look we like.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back