• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

I had the same thing happen to a '23 Velar I purchased in Dec. of '22. Not only wouldn't they budge off of MSRP but they added a mandatory "Glass Etching Fee" for $600 that they wouldn't remove.

I had the same thing happen to a '23 Velar I purchased in Dec. of '22. Not only wouldn't they budge off of MSRP but they added a mandatory "Glass Etching Fee" for $600 that they wouldn't remove.
"Etch" is the oldest openly bullshit tack-on "service" in the business. I don't understand how dealer sales managers still think this is a thing that's ok.

Last year I bought a vehicle that was on the lot. They added a bunch of crap that I had no interest in. I told them I'd buy the car but didn't want that other stuff. Seeing a potential sales loss, they dropped most of it.

Same thing happened with a Mustang on the lot where they'd added a rear wing and aftermarket wheels to every car. They couldn't change them back so just gave them to me to prevent losing the sale.

Point is, challenge the BS 'mandatory' stuff and at least get some $ knocked off if you can.

Having picked up at Glenview yesterday (and being an accountant) I closely looked at the details.... a few notes:

1) Destination was $2,850 (but that is on the window sticker, so don't think it should vary by dealer)
2) The "Doc Fee" was $358 (as a point of comparison, I bought a car from a different dealer last month and paid the exact same fee - I believe this is the state max fee, which changes ever year based on inflation).
3) The only mandatory extra dealer profit item was "AG Etch" a vehicle theft protection program that was $399....... when I buy a daily driver I resist these types of things, primarily on principle. Overall this purchase experience was very smooth so I didnt really make an issue of this. Plus, when I compare the Doc fee of $358 plus this bogus fee of $399, that is $757 - it is still less than doc fees in Florida or Texas..... and this dealer is very close to me. Overall, very please with buying experience - none of the sleaze that I have experienced at other dealers.

Last month I picked up a 718 GTS, and the local Porsche dealer forced me to sign a mandatory "Right of First refusal" agreement, which was not disclosed when I ordered the car...... Lotus of Glenview did nothing of the sort. While I dont plan on flipping the car, I would rather pay a $399 Vin Etching fee, vs. sign some document that has threatening legal provisions and a $100K damages provision.

Certainly they offered me the opportunity to buy extras, such as a Vehicle Service Contract and a Customer Care (wheel/tire, key, paintless dent) - but I always decline these, so they didnt push very hard.

Naples charges a $999 dealer fee, but it is disclosed in the order agreement.
yeah on the agreement I saw a 999.00. And the deposit is NON-Refundable, and you can't sell the car within the first 9 months, unless it's to Naples with a 10k discount.

Having picked up at Glenview yesterday (and being an accountant) I closely looked at the details.... a few notes:

1) Destination was $2,850 (but that is on the window sticker, so don't think it should vary by dealer)
2) The "Doc Fee" was $358 (as a point of comparison, I bought a car from a different dealer last month and paid the exact same fee - I believe this is the state max fee, which changes ever year based on inflation).
3) The only mandatory extra dealer profit item was "AG Etch" a vehicle theft protection program that was $399....... when I buy a daily driver I resist these types of things, primarily on principle. Overall this purchase experience was very smooth so I didnt really make an issue of this. Plus, when I compare the Doc fee of $358 plus this bogus fee of $399, that is $757 - it is still less than doc fees in Florida or Texas..... and this dealer is very close to me. Overall, very please with buying experience - none of the sleaze that I have experienced at other dealers.

Last month I picked up a 718 GTS, and the local Porsche dealer forced me to sign a mandatory "Right of First refusal" agreement, which was not disclosed when I ordered the car...... Lotus of Glenview did nothing of the sort. While I dont plan on flipping the car, I would rather pay a $399 Vin Etching fee, vs. sign some document that has threatening legal provisions and a $100K damages provision.

Certainly they offered me the opportunity to buy extras, such as a Vehicle Service Contract and a Customer Care (wheel/tire, key, paintless dent) - but I always decline these, so they didnt push very hard.
When it comes to money I keep my emotions on the sidelines as I truly don't need anything that badly. Happened to me with my new pool build but I had 7 builders and went with the one that was the easiest to deal with and would meet my needs. All wanted the final check at Plaster I made them change the contract to say the 5% to be paid 30 days after Plaster. Only two would do it and I chose one of them. My friend's pool got plastered and it's been 2 months and he is still waiting to get stuff done.

I have walked from many car deals. I like the nitrogen tire BS & interior coatings. I tell them they can empty the tire & take the air back as I have an electric pump in my car to fill it back up. The GM at BMW said, don't worry about the fee, these won't be charged to you, since you are an A customer of ours. Lol, whatever such BS.

:mad:
My rough calculations then:
MSRP FE 2.0: $105,400
Destination: $2,500
Dealer Fee: $1,700
"Mandatory" Ceramic Coating: $1,295
Sub total: $110,895
Texas sales tax (6.25%): $6,931
Total: $117,826

And that is before any PPF. Since I have a little time before mine is built I may keep an eye out for a DV that's selling for less. Definitely a lot more than expected when I put my initial deposit in before the price increase was announced. It made way more sense when starting at 95k.
I can't see how a dealer can Ceramic Coat with anything "real" without permission... if anyone is going to PPF, doesn't that have to happen BEFORE ceramic coat?

Last edited:

Destination fee for me is $2,350.

And that is before any PPF. Since I have a little time before mine is built I may keep an eye out for a DV that's selling for less. Definitely a lot more than expected when I put my initial deposit in before the price increase was announced. It made way more sense when starting at 95k.
yeah... I had the same realization last week when I confirmed my build. made me think back how this price really crept up on me. really came as a surprise but im so invested theres no chance I was backing out

1. announced starting in the 60s!!! couldn't believe it!
  2. oh that was in pounds, ok still 75k USD thats crazy!
  3. oh thats still unrealistic since thats the i4 and no options. still probably like 85k right... still great!
  4. oh a price increase... probably like 95k now for a base? ok... still works lets gooo
  5. oh I have the rare opportunity to buy a First Edition great! that means 105k now...great
  6. options (black pack, alcantera wheel) + taxes + ppf now very near 120k...welp im too invested to back out now
😳

Last edited:
yeah... I had the same realization last week when I confirmed my build. made me think back how this price really crept up on me. really came as a surprise but im so invested theres no chance I was backing out

1. announced starting in the 60s!!! couldn't believe it!
  2. oh that was in pounds, ok still 75k USD thats crazy!
  3. oh thats still unrealistic since thats the i4 and no options. still probably like 85k right... still great!
  4. oh a price increase... probably like 95k now for a base? ok... still works lets gooo
  5. oh I have the rare opportunity to buy a First Edition great! that means 105k now...great
  6. options (black back, alcantera wheel) + taxes + ppf now very near 120k...welp im too invested to back out now
😳
Frog in the pot, my friend, Frog in the pot...

I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay a dealer with a bunch of cars waiting who is incentivized to rush through a car's detail that kind of money.
They don’t have to rush for mine though, since I’m getting windows tinted, calipers and wheels powder coated etc… they have plenty of time to get it detailed perfectly :)

My destination charge was $2350…hoping for your sake that you made a typo above!

Just got off the phone with Gator. They plan to deliver their first cars to customers today.

My car arrived at port 12/29/23 and according to them it's still sitting there waiting to be released to them.

Lotus will shortly be offering a PPF option, the benefit being that it is then covered under their warranty. He said it's about $2500 for front coverage, and it's from StarShield (same company that did it for Elises). Right now, the installers are going to the dealers and doing it at the dealer, but the plan is to have it done at port, like they did with Elises.

Yep right around there… a bit more with options actually

Just picked mine up from Auto Europe Birmingham MI.

Attachments

• IMG_1306.jpeg
    IMG_1306.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 181

In NC with full PPf, side window tint, deliver fee, tags and taxes $106,795.- minus the $2,5k deposit……

We only pay 3% hwy tax, little perk that the ppf and window only gets 3% this way, instead of 7% sales tax😉

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back