• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Wiper speed issue

I noticed there's hidden text on page 124 of the user's manual, unmasked and...

View attachment 21892
I suspect this is an artifact of the PDF packaging process for release, and possibly an artifact from an earlier version of the file. You can co-package a raw text (Postscript + images) version and a "flat" page-image version of a file together as a single PDF, and that's what it looks like you might be observing here.

I don't see anything jump out at me that's significantly different... looks like maybe there were in-situ cross-references to other sections of the manual at some point that were removed? If so, I understand why... PDF doesn't have automatic reflow of links when edited, so anytime you add or change anything, every single one of those cross-references would need to be updated throughout the text. The right way to govern this sort of thing is by authoring and maintaining the document using a structured document language like LaTeX.

Let us know if you can extract anything that deviates significantly from the text in the existing Handbook.

Holy crap, it's just page 124 that's a complete mess. It looks like someone just completely murdered this thing with a series of accidental copy/paste or layout reflow errors in Adobe InDesign.

I exported pg 124 on its own and have been analyzing it with PDFexplorer. It's chock full of broken/empty InDesign bounding boxes and layout positions that don't correspond to any content. It looks like maybe someone tried to copy/paste part of a Volvo manual in here (Volvo in-house fonts are used) and just absolutely destroyed the thing. The tree in the raw view has literally thousands of objects in it, most of them broken.

Sort of hilarious. But at least it's just this one page. The rest of the manual (seems) to be ok as far as I can tell, though I haven't analyzed every page. But it partially explains why this thing is over 30MB in size when it could probably be 3MB or less in a fully optimized form.

[edit] I've attached the raw text dump from the internals of just page 124 of the Handbook. It's clearly a mashup of a bunch of other files, and references page numbers that are way outside the bounds of this document. It also references rear wiper control and all sorts of stuff. Good fun.

Attachments

• Emira Handbook p124 Extracted Raw Text.txt
    8.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
@Porter - that’s an interesting thought about the page being copied from a Volvo manual. I have included a photo of the wiper stalk from my wife’s 2019 Volvo XC90. Notice that it says “INT” instead of “AUT” on the speed selector. There also fewer raindrops on the Emira stalk compared with the Volvo which seems ironic coming from an English automaker.

The only way to turn on automatic wiper sensing in this vehicle is to press the windshield icon (circled in red in photo) when the speed selector is in the “0” position. It doesn’t look like a button that can be pressed- to this day, my wife has trouble finding it :)

Obviously, this is a shared part with Volvo/Geely but somehow it seems to have been installed/wired differently.

It sounds like some Emira owners have already tried this method without success but has any Emira owner noted any effect when pressing the windshield icon?
E553ED35-1818-4D0A-8B81-40CFD489B364.jpeg

The XC90 manual looks strangely familiar, especially when you look at the unlocked information above. Note the volvo has a software switch under settings that allows you to start in Rain Sensing mode rather than having to switch into it each time.
E7B87E7D-CD68-4402-A006-90A5C6FD3BB4.png
D3A6080A-F506-4D9F-9C69-CC00E43D87AD.png

I have checked again just now. That is not a button and has no response when pushing it forward (it does move slightly forward, with a spring back which suggests it might have been designed for a purpose in this or other vehicles. The same as the opposite stalk for the full beam flash).

It isn't a touch control or anything else. It is solid plastic. Nothing appears on the display when it is pressed, swiped, pulled etc.

I have again experienced the loss of fast wiping while doing some testing this morning in auto mode.

I think we can safely conclude that the wipers dont do what you would expect them to in allowing manual intervention if in auto mode, ie using full speed in the event you need it. In addition, the manual(s) are seemingly wrong, suggesting display icons appear that are not mentioned anywhere else in the manual including the section on the various display icons.

Over to Lotus to resolve I guess. I have mentioned to my dealer and will do so again if no news. I understand the Lotus central software team are onsite today so assume my snagging list will be shared. The more people report the issue the more likely it will be resolved for future purchasers (and us).
This stalk is exactly the same as my Volvo XC60 - to start the the wiper in rain sensing mode - you press the housing - there is a switch inside. Press with you thumb.

The only way to turn on automatic wiper sensing in this vehicle is to press the windshield icon (circled in red in photo) when the speed selector is in the “0” position. It doesn’t look like a button that can be pressed- to this day, my wife has trouble finding it :)
View attachment 21927
This stalk is exactly the same as my Volvo XC60 - to start the the wiper in rain sensing mode - you press the housing - there is a switch inside. Press with you thumb.

This is really great info, thank you both.

Can any Emira owner test and confirm? Does "squeezing" the stalk to press the housing at the icon location engage any wiper function for you? And if so, is there any corresponding icon on the dash display?

(I'm assuming No to both questions, I just wanted to double-check since we have more info now, and confirmation of different function on a comparable stalk from Volvo/Geely)

Last edited:
There is no pressing / squeezing whatsoever. I was stuck in traffic for an hour today and played with the wipers and stalk. Once you go auto, you never go back. Tried the wildest combinations.

If I see someone suggesting to squeeze it one more time I'm headed to the garage and will take a video 😂

Auto mode "works", there wouldn't be a function that extra button could provide.

To keep you guys posted: I asked my shop to escalate the issue again with Lotus and the response is still "it's known and being looked at"

There is no button on mine but the stalk definitely does “click” forwards. Non-latching.
In the same way as the main/dip light stalk on the other side.
The picture in the handbook suggests to me that that’s how it’s supposed to work.
No rain yet so haven’t tested in anger.

Tonight, I’m writing this with anger and being very annoyed because of so many teething problems. Following a lorry in the dark on the motorway, wet and windy is very dangerous. Lotus should do a recall immediately. The heavy rain and spray from the lorry causes very poor visibility because the wiper is only one speed!!!!. It’s auto wiper or manual fast speed doesn’t work. I’ve watched the video and comments in Harry garage but trust me it’s really dangerous and will be ringing the dealer on Monday. I wouldn’t drive the Emira in the rain.

Tonight, I’m writing this with anger and being very annoyed because of so many teething problems. Following a lorry in the dark on the motorway, wet and windy is very dangerous. Lotus should do a recall immediately. The heavy rain and spray from the lorry causes very poor visibility because the wiper is only one speed!!!!. It’s auto wiper or manual fast speed doesn’t work. I’ve watched the video and comments in Harry garage but trust me it’s really dangerous and will be ringing the dealer on Monday. I wouldn’t drive the Emira in the rain.
That is really annoying. Another thing that I will test immediately after collecting my car. Maybe the newer ones already have a software fix. However for the next time you could either increase the distance to other cars, trucks, etc. or stop and switch the car off and on again with the wiper set to high speed. I read that this should work and make it go to the fast modes.

Last edited:
That is really annoying. Another thing that I will test immediately after collecting my car. Maybe the newer ones already have a software fix. However for the next time you could either increase the distance to other cars, trucks, etc. or stop and switch the car off and on again with the wiper set to high speed. I read that this should work and make it go to the fast modes.
You'll probably not be able to check it upon collecting since it's kinda an on and off problem..

You know what, since I'm in mighty Germany I might do a report to the "Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt" and report this as a security relevant and recall worthy issue.
They'll look into it and if they decide to agree Lotus gonna have to spring into action to get this sorted.
I'm a bit fed up with this still not being addressed. Dealers hands are tied and all Lotus has to say is "we're looking into it".

Hat das KBA den begründeten Verdacht, dass ein Fahrzeug oder ein Fahrzeugteil die oben genannten Anforderungen nicht erfüllt, ergreift es die erforderlichen Maßnahmen. Diese können zum Beispiel einen weiteren Vertrieb oder den angeordneten Rückruf eines Produktes, oder auch eine Warnung der Öffentlichkeit umfassen.

Last edited:
That is really annoying. Another thing that I will test immediately after collecting my car. Maybe the newer ones already have a software fix. However for the next time you could either increase the distance to other cars, trucks, etc. or stop and switch the car off and on again with the wiper set to high speed. I read that this should work and make it got to the fast modes.
Unfortunately there is no where to stop on the motorway. Stuck behind a truck doing 60mph for a couple of miles isn’t fun either.
That is really annoying. Another thing that I will test immediately after collecting my car. Maybe the newer ones already have a software fix. However for the next time you could either increase the distance to other cars, trucks, etc. or stop and switch the car off and on again with the wiper set to high speed. I read that this should work and make it got to the fast modes.
Still awaiting for the software fix apparently. It’s dangerous and impractical to stop on the motorway also turning the car on and off still doesn’t work. Only works if you leave it turned off for a certain time so this morning, it’s working fine.
You'll probably not be able to check it upon collecting since it's kinda an on and off problem..
true, so basically on auto mode, we know if you flick it to full speed it doesn’t work no matter what you do. So you stop and restart your car and it still doesn’t work (not very practical when you’re on a motorway). But if you stop and leave it for a certain amount of time, it magically works.

true, so basically on auto mode, we know if you flick it to full speed it doesn’t work no matter what you do. So you stop and restart your car and it still doesn’t work (not very practical when you’re on a motorway). But if you stop and leave it for a certain amount of time, it magically works.
I found I had to stop, turn off AND open the door, then put the stalk into the required position before restarting to get it to reliably reset. While this means you shouldn't need to wait it is hardly more convenient as you still need to stop and you'll get wet while the door is open.

Spoke to the field technician and a fix is due imminently from the wiper manufacturer. They’re having issues installing the software onto the canbus firmware system. But an alternative fix is to change the whole wiper motor with the updated software. So maybe this issue only affects the early builds or those who haven’t had a new wiper motor.

I took a quick video in the dry (so unfortunately not able to show the problematic behavior once the interval mode had been activated before).

This is what first and second speed of non-interval wiper speed should look like. In my opinion the speed difference here is very obvious.

If you had auto / interval wiping before you will not be able to switch to these modes anymore unless you stop the car and go back to step zero. At least on the cars that are affected by the issue. The only speed you will get is the one from the interval setting. No matter in which setting you put the switch, it won't get up to these speeds.

Many of us owners have the high speed wiper issue. All the other electrical gremlins I can cope with they’re just annoying. But the wiper issue is quite frankly dangerous when on a motorway in heavy rain.
Have spoken to customer service today. To be told that the do not know of any software update being available. The “retailers” will be told when there is any update. I assume they mean the service agents, as Lotus themselves are the retailer ! Doesn’t sound like there is any priority to get this sorted.
I think anyone with this issue should phone Lotus so that it gets flagged up and hopefully gets some priority.

Lotus knows and apparently doesn't give a shit, or clings to a "maybe this works" fix in the works. As previously discussed it appears that right now "something" can't be updated and they're trying to sort it out.

I've filed a report with the Federal Motor Transport Authority in Germany on Monday. I hope they gonna get something rolling.. Usually Germany doesn't play around with stuff like this.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back