• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Wiper speed issue

Can anyone with a recent delivery comment if they have the wiper problem or not. Is it the earlier batches that is affected?

I made an interesting observation which I haven't tried to reproduce yet.

While showing the problem to another mechanic at my dealer, I switched the car off and put the wiper immediately into "high speed" setting to demonstrate the difference.

Left the car running, started my drive home. It was lightly raining.

Switched wipers back to interval mode and they did their thing. On the Autobahn (while following cars in front of me), the amount of water spraying on my windscreen got more and the wipers started automatically speeding up... to the highest speed!! Actually too fast for the amount of water.

I did not believe my own eyes and tried to catch it on camera but while driving it seemed too dangerous.

Started changing the interval speed dial to a lower setting and the wipers became slower.

I raised the speed again and they did no longer go back up to full speed.

HUH?!

Now I wonder if the problem is related to the "max tempo" that the auto mode has recognised. Means in theory if we switch the wipers to full speed once by hand and then back to auto (without making any further changes), they should for the time being work as expected.

Maybe this is also why some owners haven't recognised the issue on their cars yet.

Automotive testing has changed dramatically over the years and vehicles have become exponentially more complex. Years ago 90% of testing was real with endless real world miles being clocked up. Now it’s the other way around with ‘verification’ testing simply a sample of simulated data to confirm correlation. There are so many systems and they all have to communicate with one another to perform all of the fancy stuff we take for granted. No manufacturer is capable of doing enough testing to find all possible combination/permutations of conditions/parameters. To make things tougher, earlier prototype phase testing is inevitably done with prototype parts and software so not fully representative. All manufacturers try to evolve rather than go all new, hence the levels of platform engineering we see today, at the end of the day it all ends up being stitched together and the fewer unique elements the better generally. The good news is that software updates are easy and can now be done remotely (Sota) although I’m not sure if the Emira has a SIM on board to enable this.

Unfortunately no OTA updates for the Emira, software updates have to be done by the dealer.

Unfortunately no OTA updates for the Emira, software updates have to be done by the dealer.
How do we know whether we have the latest software, Tom ? Can you tell via the car menus ? And what is the latest version ? Thx.

I made an interesting observation which I haven't tried to reproduce yet.

While showing the problem to another mechanic at my dealer, I switched the car off and put the wiper immediately into "high speed" setting to demonstrate the difference.

Left the car running, started my drive home. It was lightly raining.

Switched wipers back to interval mode and they did their thing. On the Autobahn (while following cars in front of me), the amount of water spraying on my windscreen got more and the wipers started automatically speeding up... to the highest speed!! Actually too fast for the amount of water.

I did not believe my own eyes and tried to catch it on camera but while driving it seemed too dangerous.

Started changing the interval speed dial to a lower setting and the wipers became slower.

I raised the speed again and they did no longer go back up to full speed.

HUH?!

Now I wonder if the problem is related to the "max tempo" that the auto mode has recognised. Means in theory if we switch the wipers to full speed once by hand and then back to auto (without making any further changes), they should for the time being work as expected.

Maybe this is also why some owners haven't recognised the issue on their cars yet.
Wonder if we’ll find any gamer style hacks like turn the left blinker on with the wipers in high while the ac is set to heat. Now - your max RpM redline has increased 10% along with HP.

Typing this message while stopping to switch car off and raise wiper speed to "hi" on a rainy trip to Hamburg.
@Kimmax any word from the KBA already?

Typing this message while stopping to switch car off and raise wiper speed to "hi" on a rainy trip to Hamburg.
@Kimmax any word from the KBA already?
Not yet.. German Offices.. 😂

What are you up to in Hamburg? There is a Lotus meet up today in Barsbüttel till 2' sadly not able to make it :(

Oh, thats interesting! I'll phone my guys tomorrow straightaway. Thx for letting us know @ott

Yesterday my dealer (Komotec) installed new version of the software, which suppousedly fixes wiper issue. Tested it today, works so far.
So, talked to my dealer who emailed Hethel straightaway. Got a call a few hours later where the dealer was reading me the email reply on the phone:

"The wiper speed issue is not fixed yet but will be fixed with a hardware- and software change in the very near future."

Not sure what Komotec did, my dealer will now reach out to Komotec and talk to them directly. Since the wiper speed issue does not show unless the rain sensor is triggered, are we talking about the same thing? The wipers work fine if you put them in the highest speed setting straightaway - until you have changed the interval speed and rain starts triggering the sensor. Only then the issue is visible.

To update the software you have to actually access the wiper motor directly. To do that you're essentially removing it, so it is easier to replace the unit (hardware) with an updated one rather than initiate dealers to understand the software changes etc.

As well the wiper speed issue needs addressing. Mines judders really badly and very annoying that I try not to drive in the rain. I’ve cleaned the wipers and was like this from new.

Attachments

• IMG_3985.MOV
    18.3 MB
As well the wiper speed issue needs addressing. Mines judders really badly and very annoying that I try not to drive in the rain. I’ve cleaned the wipers and was like this from new.
Wow, that appears to me as if there’s some sticky substance on the screen that is grabbing the wiper blades.

I think the wiper blades are Bosch which are decent quality so my first thoughts are to clean the screen from any polish/wax that the dealer may have added as part of pre delivery detailing.

Ceramic coatings on the windscreen can cause the wipers to be a bit grabby until they settle in. Have you had anything applied?

Nothing has been applied. I actually clay barred it to get rid of any contamination and wiped down the wiper blade rubbers.
It could be the wiper blades... I know they are brand new, but I had this issue on the rear wiper of a brand new Q7 a few years back right from day one, swapped the wiper blade after a couple of months as it was really annoying me and all good from then. Only a suggestion, might not be the issue with your blades, so YMMV.

Finally driven mine in the rain today and it has the same speed issue.

Car was delivered early February.

I’ll settle down to await the fix like everyone else.

Finally driven mine in the rain today and it has the same speed issue.

Car was delivered early February.

I’ll settle down to await the fix like everyone else.
Collected my Emira last month, and the wipers only operate on one speed setting. I got caught in heavy rain the other day out driving and had to pull over. I will sit tight and await a fix same as you.

Wiper issue info from Scott Walker 6th April 2023

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I'm not about to scan the entire feed on this to check!

During the factory visit and handover process Scott mentioned that the latest thinking is there is an issue with the compatibility of all the components in the wiper system - software and hardware, hardware including the control switch and wiper motor. This means there may need to be some hardware replaced necessitating a recall to implement. ATM this is not final or conclusive, only latest thinking.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back