• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Wiper speed issue

I can re-confirm that the wipers operate fine in auto / interval mode when kept on the highest interval speed and straight dipping the switch to the highest speed setting right after engine start (before the auto sensing kicks in for the first time). Still annoying, but a do-able workaround for the time being. Did several longer drives in heavy rain over the last weeks.

I’ve been driving through heavy rain, switching from off to auto, to try annd mimic the fault, and my wipers have been acting normally. I took delivery just under two weeks ago. Wiper issue fixed on recent cars???

I can re-confirm that the wipers operate fine in auto / interval mode when kept on the highest interval speed and straight dipping the switch to the highest speed setting right after engine start (before the auto sensing kicks in for the first time). Still annoying, but a do-able workaround for the time being. Did several longer drives in heavy rain over the last weeks.
Tried this and it doesn’t work for my car.

I’ve been driving through heavy rain, switching from off to auto, to try annd mimic the fault, and my wipers have been acting normally. I took delivery just under two weeks ago. Wiper issue fixed on recent cars???
I would like to hope so but then why not recall all cars for a fix ? Are there other owners on here who have fully functioning wipers ? I don’t think I have picked that up.

Tried this and it doesn’t work for my car.
Do the wipers go to the highest speed setting when immediately (literally the moment you start the engine) putting the wipers in the highest possible switch position?

Does anyone know what wiper blades the Emira takes?

I’ve been unable to find it in the manual. I have PPF windscreen protection and the wiper does not move well over it so I want to replace with silicon blades before I hit any serious rain. This combined with the wiper issue would be a nightmare.

I do not know which wipers they are. But my Emira has been in for a wiper motor replacement and the issue with the faster wiper speed not working after a longer time on the interval position has been resolved. Good luck, Bart

my Emira has been in for a wiper motor replacement and the issue with the faster wiper speed not working after a longer time on the interval position has been resolved.
This is great news - is this the first motor replacement known on here? Anyone else have similar luck (cue Lotus agents with a queue of Emiras wanting wiper motors).

My Lotus dealer is Thierry Verhiest from Lotus Oostende (Ostend) in Belgium. He contacted me because Lotus had issued a recall for a piece in the automatic gearbox. In addition, Thierry has been pushing Lotus for the wiper issue. Lotus has solved the problem. As far as I understand this issue will be dealt with for everyone. The electric motor for the wipers has to be replaced as far as I understand. Hope this helps.

My Lotus dealer is Thierry Verhiest from Lotus Oostende (Ostend) in Belgium. He contacted me because Lotus had issued a recall for a piece in the automatic gearbox. In addition, Thierry has been pushing Lotus for the wiper issue. Lotus has solved the problem. As far as I understand this issue will be dealt with for everyone. The electric motor for the wipers has to be replaced as far as I understand. Hope this helps.
The info is correct and I'd advice everyone to call their dealers and make them order the parts since they're on backorder already and it'll probably take a while to get them. While you're at it let them check if you're also affected by a seatbelt recall

I wonder when the cars coming off the line will have the new motor fitted before delivery? I think it would make more sense than recalling a load more cars.

I wonder when the cars coming off the line will have the new motor fitted before delivery? I think it would make more sense than recalling a load more cars.
I don't think they can just continue deliveries with an active recall. I guess at least the dealer has to fix it before transferring the car to the new owner. As for the seatbelts recall there has been a (temporary) sales stop in Germany, at least so I was told by an official Lotus dealer.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who picks their car up next week.

The info is correct and I'd advice everyone to call their dealers and make them order the parts since they're on backorder already and it'll probably take a while to get them. While you're at it let them check if you're also affected by a seatbelt recall
Missed one. Also airbag tether recall, whatever that is.

Yes I’m told by the dealer that they and Lotus are well aware of this issue and that they have physical parts to replace to correct it, parts have yet to arrive though.

Thierry is such a nice guy. i also ordered my Emira at Lotus Oostende. It should be delivered in a couple of days now. maybe I'll see you at one of the Lotus Belgium Drives (y):)

Last edited:
Does anyone know what wiper blades the Emira takes?

I’ve been unable to find it in the manual. I have PPF windscreen protection and the wiper does not move well over it so I want to replace with silicon blades before I hit any serious rain. This combined with the wiper issue would be a nightmare.
Hi I was going to have PPF windscreen protection on my Emira until I came across one of shmee s YouTube videos, not sure which one. where he was taking one of his cars back to have the windscreen protection removed because his wipers were sticking and he said it would burn out the wiper motor. Good luck with the silicone blades hopefully it will resolve the issue please let us know, I have already got little marks on my windscreen just 1200 miles in. its an option I would probably go for if you can get it to run smoothly

Hi I was going to have PPF windscreen protection on my Emira until I came across one of shmee s YouTube videos, not sure which one. where he was taking one of his cars back to have the windscreen protection removed because his wipers were sticking and he said it would burn out the wiper motor. Good luck with the silicone blades hopefully it will resolve the issue please let us know, I have already got little marks on my windscreen just 1200 miles in. its an option I would probably go for if you can get it to run smoothly
Thats exactly what is happening on mine, the blades are sticking

No problem with my blades sticking to the Stek film on my glass. Perhaps the ceramic coating helps.
Mine is ceramic coated too - but there's no way of knowing if they did the windscreen

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back