• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Wiper speed issue

I think the actual rain sensing wiper symbol is the button. The other stalk where the fog light symbol is I'm pretty sure you press that to get the fog light on and it looks similar and in a similar place.

Ah, so it wouldn't hurt for the manual to include an arrow and text. Many of us are speculating without having an Emira at hand. Of course, I'm sure it would be obvious if we did. There's a term, "Armchair quarterback" that refers to those who are attempting to coach a team playing on TV, while we sit in a chair, watching. That's how I feel at this time. ;)

As someone with an Emira Sat on the drive, for a couple more days at least, I went and gave it a go to check I hadn’t missed anything previously.

I can’t find any buttons on the stalk and whether I twist it, press it or bop it, I cannot get the auto rain sensing light to illuminate on the dash, engine running or not.

The lump on top of the stalk is not a button. There is no button on the end of the stalk. Pulling the stalk towards you activates the washers. Pushing where the arrow indicates (in the image above the Rain Sensor Wiping heading) moves the stalk back, although it feels like you are trying to force it wrong way.

Last edited:
I split out the 3 relevant pages of the User Guide PDF and have attached them here.

I interpreted this diagram as
  • Stalk up/down has 4 positions and a momentary switch, listed bottom to top:
    • ▼ - Single Wipe (spring loaded return)
    • 0 - Off
    • AUT - Auto Intermittent
    • ▲ - On
    • ▲▲ - On (High)
  • Rotate stalk end ring to adjust Rain Sensor sensitivity, including AUT / intermittent.
  • Push stalk away for manual Rain Sensor operation/override (toggles state & light on dash)
  • Rain sensor mode engages automatically on vehicle ON or restart when in AUT mode. Rain sensor mode should not engage automatically if stalk is in 0 position.
  • Pull stalk toward driver for windscreen wash spray.
Does anyone else agree with these? Or read something different into the above?

Attachments

• wipers-manual-1.jpg
    wipers-manual-1.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 33
  • wipers-manual-2.jpg
    wipers-manual-2.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 36
  • wipers-manual-3.jpg
    wipers-manual-3.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Have you tried putting your fingers behind the stalk, and your thumb on the wiper symbol in front, then squeezing to see if it clicks inward towards your fingers?

I edited my post above for clarity, and attached all 3 relevant pages of the User Manual.

I’ve just checked my manuals (quick start guide and owners manual) which look a little different to the earlier images. There is no mention of the dashboard icon and nor do I recall seeing one.

The imagery which shows all of the dash icons doesn’t mention an auto washer light either. Odd.

Attachments

• DEA41005-6F7C-417F-B074-B7CF56565BBD.jpeg
    DEA41005-6F7C-417F-B074-B7CF56565BBD.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 35
  • E2681ECF-901A-42DF-82A6-549C26782E26.jpeg
    E2681ECF-901A-42DF-82A6-549C26782E26.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 36
I’ve just checked my manuals (quick start guide and owners manual) which look a little different to the earlier images. There is no mention of the dashboard icon and nor do I recall seeing one.

The imagery which shows all of the dash icons doesn’t mention an auto washer light either. Odd.
Interesting, your manual is different to mine.
image.jpg

The online manual on the US Lotus site, I couldn’t find one one the UK site, definitely has some differences to the version I got with the car.
US and UK websites have the same manual, marked with en-GB for the language. Both version 2.1 of the file.

UK: https://www.lotuscars.com/en-GB/emira-handbook
US: https://www.lotuscars.com/en-US/emira-handbook

There was an earlier version of the handbook online, marked v1, that went up last August. It was replaced in September with v2.1. I have copies of both if anyone needs them. There's no difference between them on these pages other than some slight visual formatting.

Page 124 of your Owner's Handbook doesn't look like what we posted above? Not the Quick Start Guide, it's the bigger manual.

It's also downloadable from here, the current version is noted as v2.1 : https://www.lotuscars.com/en-GB/emira-handbook

View attachment 21864
You are right, there is more detailed info on p124 of the main guidebook. My images were from the quick start guide.

Why it differs from the quick start guide is odd, given the very basic nature of the functions.

There is no light that I’m aware of on the dash and the behaviour is as per other owners. Needs looking at clearly, and quickly (no puns intended)

Attachments

• 4627AD27-6BF8-4F25-A6EE-63E90F860820.jpeg
    4627AD27-6BF8-4F25-A6EE-63E90F860820.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 15
Go to 8:30…

I’ll take a look tomorrow but I’ll be staggered if that is a button. It doesn’t look like one in the video either and nothing happens when the chap presses it, with a response only when the stalk is moved or slightly earlier with the steering wheel controls.

As before though, I’ll save any conclusion until I try it for myself!

If that is a button, that is surely the least intuitive approach and simply having it set to auto should normally suffice for the rest of the driving population!

I’ll take a look tomorrow but I’ll be staggered if that is a button. It doesn’t look like one in the video either and nothing happens when the chap presses it, with a response only when the stalk is moved.

As before though, I’ll save any conclusion until I try it for myself!
It doesn’t make a lot of sense to have a button to activate the auto wipers. As with most (all?) recent cars with auto wipers, you just click the stalk to the AUT position.

US and UK websites have the same manual, marked with en-GB for the language. Both version 2.1 of the file.

UK: https://www.lotuscars.com/en-GB/emira-handbook
US: https://www.lotuscars.com/en-US/emira-handbook

There was an earlier version of the handbook online, marked v1, that went up last August. It was replaced in September with v2.1. I have copies of both if anyone needs them. There's no difference between them on these pages other than some slight visual formatting.
My paper manual is dated August 2022 on the rear cover. Sounds like a download might be more appropriate.

My paper manual is dated August 2022 on the rear cover. Sounds like a download might be more appropriate.
The differences are pretty minor. Mostly formatting and a few small edits. It's not a rewrite.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back