• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

DIY - Oil Change Reference for 2GR-FE

The filter cartridge plug on mine is on really tight. I couldn't get it undone and didn't have a strap wrench handy so I just left it on. The entire filter cartridge was only hand tight on the car. I was able to unscrew it with my hands without much effort. It wasn't too much trouble to use my normal plastic baggie routine to keep things clean so I don't know if I will ever bother with the cartridge drain plug.
I had the the exact same experience.
Couldn't get the filter housing plug out. The housing itself was only finger tight.

Page 217 of full handbook manual.
Resetting the Service Reminder
– Set the vehicle in ignition mode 1(Convenience), see page .
– Press and hold the reset button located on the end of light switch, see page 146.
– With the reset button still pressed, start the engine, see page 183.
– After 10 seconds with the reset button still pressed, the wrench symbol will flash.
– Release the reset button within 4 seconds of the wrench symbol beginning to flash.
Thank you. I’m still waiting on my owners manual 🙄

Thank you. I’m still waiting on my owners manual 🙄

I printed a copy of the owners manual (aka: the "main handbook"), from the link below. Perhaps (???) there's another more specific to North America, but I suspect this one covers all or almost all the bases. You'll also find a "warranty guide" at this link. The main handbook is dated May 2023 and the warranty guide August 2022. Good luck!

The filter cartridge plug on mine is on really tight. I couldn't get it undone and didn't have a strap wrench handy so I just left it on. The entire filter cartridge was only hand tight on the car. I was able to unscrew it with my hands without much effort. It wasn't too much trouble to use my normal plastic baggie routine to keep things clean so I don't know if I will ever bother with the cartridge drain plug.
I had the same experience. My 18 year old had the opportunity to flex his muscles (literally) and separate the cartridge plug and the housing. I couldn’t break it loose. I was about to put it on a vice, but the boy was able to have a moment to brag about all his time spent at the gym (and I now know that the money spent on protein powder somehow paid off).

I also spun off the cartridge by hand. It was a little unsettling knowing that it was so easy to remove. In fact, it makes me feel all the better for having changed the oil at 1000 miles.

I built a set of race jacks out of 2x4s and was very happy with the clearance for the oil change. I removed the rear diffuser because I was unclear how to separate the two panels (there are 3 bolts hidden under grommets that I should have removed before removing the diffuser). I will not do that next time. The diffuser can stay in place and it should save a bunch of time leaving it in place.

Otherwise it was an easy oil change and it felt good to do it myself… now I can spend that saved money on something fun for the car!

I had the same experience. My 18 year old had the opportunity to flex his muscles (literally) and separate the cartridge plug and the housing. I couldn’t break it loose. I was about to put it on a vice, but the boy was able to have a moment to brag about all his time spent at the gym (and I now know that the money spent on protein powder somehow paid off).

I also spun off the cartridge by hand. It was a little unsettling knowing that it was so easy to remove. In fact, it makes me feel all the better for having changed the oil at 1000 miles.

I built a set of race jacks out of 2x4s and was very happy with the clearance for the oil change. I removed the rear diffuser because I was unclear how to separate the two panels (there are 3 bolts hidden under grommets that I should have removed before removing the diffuser). I will not do that next time. The diffuser can stay in place and it should save a bunch of time leaving it in place.

Otherwise it was an easy oil change and it felt good to do it myself… now I can spend that saved money on something fun for the car!
Need pics of those 2x4 race jacks. For science.

I forgot to share my oil diagnostics with y'all, sorry about that.

Looks like healthy break-in, and I was right to change the oil before 1000mi based on both the metal content and the low viscosity of the oil compared to its 0W40 rating.

2024-06-07_16-00-40.jpg

Attachments

• AAA-5718_redacted.pdf
    342.5 KB · Views: 32
Need pics of those 2x4 race jacks. For science.
I included one photo of the Emira on the jacks… you can barely see it under the wheel. These worked very well and I’d highly recommend making some if you have scrap lumber lying around.

Attachments

• IMG_9019.jpeg
    IMG_9019.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9124.jpeg
    IMG_9124.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9122.jpeg
    IMG_9122.jpeg
    455.6 KB · Views: 72
I included one photo of the Emira on the jacks… you can barely see it under the wheel. These worked very well and I’d highly recommend making some if you have scrap lumber lying around.
Very cool! So you jack up the car using the rear jack points and then lower the wheels onto these stands?

Very cool! So you jack up the car using the rear jack points and then lower the wheels onto these stands?
Yep. For full transparency, I jacked one wheel onto a shorter block first, then the other wheel onto one of these jacks, then went back to the first wheel to replace the shorter block with the second jack. This method felt the easiest and safest. I was concerned that lifting the car fully all at once would be problematic. Worked great and I had a ton of clearance for the oil change.

Yep. For full transparency, I jacked one wheel onto a shorter block first, then the other wheel onto one of these jacks, then went back to the first wheel to replace the shorter block with the second jack. This method felt the easiest and safest. I was concerned that lifting the car fully all at once would be problematic. Worked great and I had a ton of clearance for the oil change.
What about the front? If lifting only the back does the angle the car is at pose any problem with drainage?

I also built sets of these. I even have a lift but I dont like having cars (if doing a more lengthy job) up on the lift for more than half day so raise it with the lift, then lower onto the stands. Built them before the lift but still use them.
lift1.jpg

Planning for my first oil change. I’d like to get the car elevated enough to get underneath while lying down on a 4.5” creeper since I figured I’d be down there a while taking out the 4000 bolts holding the panels in place. I also want the car level so all the oil comes out. My thoughts were to jack from a rear jack point high enough to get an esco jack stand underneath the front jack point. Then repeat for the other side. Then use a jack on each rear jackpoint at the same time to get the rear high enough to get some wheel cribs or ramps underneath the rear tires. I was also thinking about just getting 4 cribs but figured I’d have to jack each point of the car too high to get the cribs underneath which might be kind of sketch. Do you think 10” cribs will be enough?

I built basically the same thing, except four, to keep the car level to drain the oil more completely. I had one floor jack and bought another to jack the car up evenly. I started with the rear because the rear jack points are more outboard and easier to get to. Once the cribs were under the rear wheels, I had enough clearance to get to and jack the front with no problem. For me it was an economical and space saving solution for something that I really don't need to do that often.

Attachments

• 20240612_134154.jpg
    20240612_134154.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: ADC
I brought my car to my local Indie ($175) for its first oil change today, 1100 miles. I also brought 6 quarts of the Amsoil oil recommended on this post, and a filter, magnetic drain plug, and the tools recommended. Just received a call saying it is done but appears to need about another half quart of oil added. I was puzzled by that so looked up the oil capcity in the owner's manual I purchased on another thread. The manual say it takes 6 Liters of oil, not quarts. That equals 6.34 quarts of oil. May not make all that much difference, but credit to the Indie shop.

Just thought I'd share.

Changed the oil today at 1,124 miles.
Used Porter's recommended oil and magnetic drain plug.
That oil funnel recommended, works like a charm, it would be really hard without it.

Since I have a lift, I also took off the rear diffuser.
I was surprised how much sand and dirt where in the two outside "grooves" of the diffuser.

I was also surprised how much the diffuser weighed.
The diffuser is very thick plastic with a metal bar across it. I also has heat insulation attached to it. I would presume an all aluminum one would only weigh half as much.

@B r I a n I believe CT Carbon or JUBU have a one piece carbon diffuser. Would be a decent consideration.

to keep things under warranty down the road, are folks buying oil change items (ie oil filter, etc) from dealer or getting parts from toyota or local auto store etc?

to keep things under warranty down the road, are folks buying oil change items (ie oil filter, etc) from dealer or getting parts from toyota or local auto store etc?
The Lotus oil filter is literally a Toyota. They just add a Lotus parts ID sticker to the bag.

The Lotus oil filter is literally a Toyota. They just add a Lotus parts ID sticker to the bag.
kinda what i figured, but in case down the road, you need to show proof of maintenance, i wonder if doing that, showing you bought a Toyota filter and not the lotus marked one would make any difference. I would assume not...just wondering.

Back