• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Exhaust Upgrade?

Jeff_91

Reaction score
Hey guys, currently in the market for an exhaust upgrade on my Emira. Been doing some digging online and I'm leaning towards the Valvetronic Designs titanium valved system. The pricing is fair and they posted a youtube video of the system walkthrough and I can't get the sound out of my head. Haven't been able to find many other videos as in depth as Valvetronic's which makes me want to go with theirs. Was looking for any advice on other systems I should look into and was curious if anyone here has dealt with Valvetronic Designs? I've heard all good things so far. I'm also going to link their system walkthrough video for you guys to reference, this sound is just unreal.

Valvetronic Designs Emira System:

larini

milteck

keep in mind the valvetronic sounds so loud because it also has catless headers in this video. bit of a unfair comparison. they would all sound pretty similar with catless headers

also i recommend giving 3rd cat delete + valve controller a try. for $600 you get very very close to all of these exhaust systems

Second vote for 3rd cat delete and valve controller!

I don’t think it’s easy to compare exhausts based on YouTube clips of different systems on different days in different condition on different cars.

The Valvetronic video does sound great, though!

I think if we Emira owners knew who the manufacturer of the OEM muffler was, we might be a little less ready to swap it out. It looks very well made, and it may have been built by a contracted aftermarket exhaust manufacturer.

I'm immensely curious about an exhaust put together using one of these instead of the Y pipe. (provided there's space in there)

As an fyi -- the guy who owns the car in that Valvetronic video had that entire system removed and is replacing it with one from us that he received this week
Sounds like they have some serious work to do on the quality and install side of things based on my conversation with him.

I'm immensely curious about an exhaust put together using one of these instead of the Y pipe. (provided there's space in there)
Interesting design.

I wonder how much difference in power it will make. Going back to my Mustang days, an X pipe on a V8 would typically make a bit more power, but an H pipe sounded "better", meaning more throat and less rasp.

Interesting design.

I wonder how much difference in power it will make. Going back to my Mustang days, an X pipe on a V8 would typically make a bit more power, but an H pipe sounded "better", meaning more throat and less rasp.
Supposedly this 3d printed deal is sort of like "The most ideal X pipe possible".

The Emira doesn't actually have a dual exhaust system. It's like an old-school design where the exhaust manifolds from each side collect into a single pipe, that then goes into a single muffler with two outlets on either end. The only way something like this z-pipe crossover would work, is if an entirely new exhaust system was designed with completely separate exhaust manifolds and pipes per side, each with their own cats and mufflers.

Not to say it's impossible, but there's hardly any room in there for something like that. Not to mention figuring out how to fit a z-pipe crossover in there somewhere.

Do I hear re-designed diffuser and lower balance with center exit exhaust?
No, I was thinking something like a single muffler body about the size of the current one, with 2 in and 2 out so it could use the stock exhaust mounting locations and tips. You'd want a 3 pipe header per side, each going into a high-flow cat, and from those into the muffler. The routing inside the muffler would be the tricky part. You might be able to fit a z-pipe right after the cats, and from the z-pipe into the muffler. Depends on how long the z-pipe has to be to work properly.

The trick would be getting each side with equal length header pipes, collector and cat before going into the z-pipe. Once inside the muffler, you'd have to design 2 separate muffler sections, each going to their own output pipe. I don't know what you'd do for a valve system with a true dual exhaust setup like that. It would definitely free up some power though.

I'm aware that this product or even the newer one they developed ideal for Porsche are better for motors oriented the other way, where you can manage a smooth header collection, and you've got some more space to possibly play with.

My original thought was, yeah basically where the Y pipe sits in the Emira, you'd squeeze this in, and, that may not be impossible, but then yes, everything down stream needs to operate with 2 pipes into a muffler(s) and as you point out, possibly the biggest challenge is finding a way to make the Pre-Y pipe headers into something resembling equal length so some advantage of the pulse scavenging can take effect. Though...even without I suspect it would be better than the Y pipe.

The Emira doesn't actually have a dual exhaust system. It's like an old-school design where the exhaust manifolds from each side collect into a single pipe, that then goes into a single muffler with two outlets on either end. The only way something like this z-pipe crossover would work, is if an entirely new exhaust system was designed with completely separate exhaust manifolds and pipes per side, each with their own cats and mufflers.

Not to say it's impossible, but there's hardly any room in there for something like that. Not to mention figuring out how to fit a z-pipe crossover in there somewhere.
Okay hear me out... We flip the boot cavity and use it for all the extra pipes and silencers.

larini

milteck

keep in mind the valvetronic sounds so loud because it also has catless headers in this video. bit of a unfair comparison. they would all sound pretty similar with catless headers

also i recommend giving 3rd cat delete + valve controller a try. for $600 you get very very close to all of these exhaust systems
Just the 3rd cat delete made a huge difference!

I’ve been thinking about 3rd cat delete +/- Milltek controller. Need to listen to some more clips but seems like great bang for the buck and everyone who has done it seems satisfied.

Maybe I'm missing something... there is a lot of mention of the Militek. But all it gets you is a remote control for the valve?

Which...you can already control with Tour/Sport/Track mode? What exactly is having the remote supposed to help with?

As an fyi -- the guy who owns the car in that Valvetronic video had that entire system removed and is replacing it with one from us that he received this week
Sounds like they have some serious work to do on the quality and install side of things based on my conversation with him.
What setup is he getting from you Greg?

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back