Emira should have started with 450hp.

Which 400hp car if I may ask? The 718 GTS is a 0-60 in 3.6s car and I don’t think anyone can argue it’s cornering / track chops. That’s markedly quicker than the Emira target of 4.3s.

P.S. This is the point of the thread.
Yup V6 is aimed at GTS and i4 at the S
The Emira will be benchmarked to beat both I would hope. Your 3.6 secs is with PDK that's worth almost a second

It would be interesting if Lotus offered a no cost option regarding engine output of the V6.

Just imagine,..... similar to the no cost suspension option choices currently available on the First Edition, if you could choose between the No cost option for the "400 hp version" of the V6 engine with a manual or the No cost option for the "450hp version" of the V6 engine with a manual. Your choice which engine for your EMIRA.

I wonder how many would choose the no cost option for the "400hp version"

I am sure we all know the answer.....bet almost zero.

There is your true answer..... and not BS that is spewed from those who prefer their car neutered.
Except you're setting up a completely hypothetical scenario that makes no sense. Which car company offers the same identical model with two significantly different power outputs at the same price?

Adding power costs money (usually). Even if both cost the same to develop and build, common industry practice is to price the more powerful version more expensively.

If you know of examples then let's discuss those, otherwise you're just inventing a false scenario for the sake of provoking a pointless argument.

Except you're setting up a completely hypothetical scenario that makes no sense. Which car company offers the same identical model with two significantly different power outputs at the same price?

Adding power costs money (usually). Even if both cost the same to develop and build, common industry practice is to price the more powerful version more expensively.

If you know of examples then let's discuss those, otherwise you're just inventing a false scenario for the sake of provoking a pointless argument.
Don't even waste your time responding to these silly arguments, not worth your time.

What colour you ordering? I don't want to clash with having the same...

I keep changing between Nimbus and the Red...
I’m going magma , tan leather with BP, silver wheels and red or yellow callipers ( undecided)

A bit off-topic but to your point about examples; an interesting one is the Turbo vs GT3. They're both priced about the same with the significantly more powerful turbo a smidge more expensive. That said the market considers the GT3, which is 99% of the time is the slower car, a more desirable - maybe even better? - car than the turbo.

It's not an apples to apples comparison with the Emira of course because we're talking about totally different setups and powertrains but an interesting example nonetheless and a counterpoint to the 'more is always better' argument (though once again...these are different set-ups).

P.S. I strongly suspect the 992 GTS makes more than its claimed 480hp. Porsche tends to leave a bit more headroom in their turbo engines than they do their N/A ones. This would be an example of a more powerful (it's certainly quicker in a straight line regardless) variant costing less.

Last edited:
A bit off-topic but to your point about examples; an interesting one is the Turbo vs GT3. They're both priced about the same with the significantly more powerful turbo a smidge more expensive. That said the market considers the GT3, which is 99% of the time is the slower car, a more desirable - maybe even better? - car than the turbo.

It's not an apples to apples comparison with the Emira of course because we're talking about totally different setups and powertrains but an interesting example nonetheless and a counterpoint to the 'more is always better' argument (though once again...these are different set-ups).

P.S. I strongly suspect the 992 GTS makes more than its claimed 480hp. Porsche tends to leave a bit more headroom in their turbo engines than they do their N/A ones. This would be an example of a more powerful (it's certainly quicker in a straight line regardless) variant costing less.
Driving them back to back, the GT3 power is much more fun to drive. Turbo is kind of a one-trick pony, the GT3 is instant power every time you hit the pedal and so responsive.

Which 400hp car if I may ask? The 718 GTS is a 0-60 in 3.6s car and I don’t think anyone can argue it’s cornering / track chops. That’s markedly quicker than the Emira target of 4.3s.

P.S. This is the point of the thread.
Ah, no, it’s not. Compare these specs with what’s published as targets for the Emira, rather similar I’d say. They do spec 3.8 with PDK, Sport Crono and launch control but I’ve never been able to get better than 3.9 on my Spyder using Dragy. It’s rated at 414 HP but it’s identical Torque off the line.

DC560FB0-EA7D-4CDA-8FE8-E1D8E2E4C7F7.png

Last edited:
I’m going magma , tan leather with BP, silver wheels and red or yellow callipers ( undecided)
I'd be tempted black calipers and I normally like a bit of brake pop. Would look tres classy tho

Reactions: Daz

What I proposed was a hypothetical scenario not to provoke pointless argument, but to expose those who are adamantly DEFENDING 400hp in the Emira and state that 400hp is plenty enough....... in a thread who's title is " EMIRA SHOULD HAVE STARTED WITH 450 HP"

That makes no sense,

Ok, I do have a scenario that will solve this riddle once and for all, and should answer the question is 400hp enough.
Imagine if Lotus offered two FE V6 powered, manual models right out of the gate, no AMG choice in this scenario.
Model #1 Emira 400hp 420Nm torque, starting at £65,000.
Model #2 Emira GT 450hp 460Nm torque, starting at £72,000.
Since so many of you profess that 400hp is more than enough hp for the Emira, I wonder given this scenario how many of you would honestly choose the base edition over the GT, and save the £7,000 quid?
I'm guessing not many.
Time to place your orders gents, and please be honest.
Make mine the 450hp Emira GT.

Ok, I do have a scenario that will solve this riddle once and for all, and should answer the question is 400hp enough.
Imagine if Lotus offered two FE V6 powered, manual models right out of the gate, no AMG choice in this scenario.
Model #1 Emira 400hp 420Nm torque, starting at £65,000.
Model #2 Emira GT 450hp 460Nm torque, starting at £72,000.
Since so many of you profess that 400hp is more than enough hp for the Emira, I wonder given this scenario how many of you would honestly choose the base edition over the GT, and save the £7,000 quid?
I'm guessing not many.
Time to place your orders gents, and please be honest.
Make mine the 450hp Emira GT.
You are almost there, but to make it real world it should be with options:
Model #1 Emira 400hp 420Nm torque, £79,000.
Model #2 Emira GT 450hp 460Nm torque, £95,000.
I dont have 95k i want to spend, so it's the former that I'm buying now.
And looking at this scenario all we are doing is adding in the GT that doesn't exist yet to compete with the 718 GT4 at the same pricepoint. Also would depend if it was as good on the road. The GT4 is arguably worse on road than GTS
Everyone wanting more power just buy the i4 and have 450bhp for £5k (exhaust and remap)Screenshot_20220409-180703_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I would like 450HP in my Emira. Yes I would pay more for it.

Yes, I have a deposit on a 400HP Emira. No I don't want a C8 or a 718 (other new mid engine cars in my price range) even if they are much cheaper than a 400HP Emira.

Yes Lotus will be selling a record number of cars, for them, over the next few years.

I for one would NOT pay another $20,000 for 50 hp, or even $10,000. That would buy a lot of gas and tires for years of driving enjoyment, AND pay the insurance and registration. I want the manual trans, and there isn't one that can work with 450 or 500. The manual is more important to me than another 50 hp. 400 is going to be plenty.

What we really need is for the few who keep harping on this, to get a room together and leave the rest of us alone.

I for one would NOT pay another $20,000 for 50 hp, or even $10,000. That would buy a lot of gas and tires for years of driving enjoyment, AND pay the insurance and registration. I want the manual trans, and there isn't one that can work with 450 or 500. The manual is more important to me than another 50 hp. 400 is going to be plenty.

What we really need is for the few who keep harping on this, to get a room together and leave the rest of us alone.
But ironically this is that room, why are you here?

But ironically this is that room, why are you here?
This is useful advice! If you don't want to get involved in a debate about something it's easy to ignore the thread.

Sadly, I can say I've read every thread and post on here. But I haven't posted on all of them.

This is useful advice! If you don't want to get involved in a debate about something it's easy to ignore the thread.

Sadly, I can say I've read every thread and post on here. But I haven't posted on all of them.
I think I have too for the most part. There really isn't a debate, it's mostly whining, but you're right; ignore it is.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back