Emira should have started with 450hp.

Depends possibly on where you mostly drive. For me Shropshire, Worcestershire, Powys and Herefrodshire. Rural. Roads broken by modern farming machinery (My Massey Ferguson has 330bhp these days). Its B Roads that I get my driving pleasure on. A Roads and motorways are all covered in cameras and license loosing opportunities.

If anything my biggest reservations with the Emira are its too wide and too powerful.

The Toyota GR86 for half the price is probably the more sensible choice but I've just reached that stage in life where I can afford something like an Emira and if I don't now I never will and that would be a shame for a lifelong petrolhead.

Rationally its not the best choice but life is for living and sometimes you just have to say **** it.
Sorry, but you’re not allowed on the roads in Worcestershire. This is my ‘manor’ and we can’t have two Emiras tearing up the lanes

Explain how you have access to GavAn, Matt and "higher level employees" that you get to talk to them all, and have them tell something "to your face"? You would be the only person on the forums with that kind of access and intel, which seems odd, especially since you just showed up out of nowhere on here.

There are several of us on here (and other Lotus forums) who have "that kind of access" :)

We're not special or VIPs, in most cases we've met them at the factory or Lotus events or owners community or industry events. We've chatted, swapped details, kept in touch, bump into each other and catch up. Just like you would with other business and personal contacts. Some people might be all "ooh, look at you bragging about the MD of Lotus being in your contacts". For me these are just people I've known for 20+ years because of a shared interest in quirky plastic cars - they build them and I buy them ;)

I can vouch for SpyderBite's credentials and sources.

As a brief diversion from the power debate, what about stopping power, ie braking performance?

When I first got my Evora I was astonished at how effective the brakes were. I'd had an Elise immediately before, which was light and braked really well - particularly handy on track. The Evora was significantly better and on track it was easily able to catch up with the 4-cyl Elises and Exiges into corners by being able to brake later and harder.

I think there were some tests done which showed the Evora 60-0 deceleration was about half the time for the 0-60 acceleration. If you get the chance try it out - you will get a different "seat of the pants" experience and if you have a passenger they will probably want a change of underwear. Just make sure you DO NOT try it on a public road, as you'll likely collect someone rear-ending you :)

There are several of us on here (and other Lotus forums) who have "that kind of access" :)

We're not special or VIPs, in most cases we've met them at the factory or Lotus events or owners community or industry events. We've chatted, swapped details, kept in touch, bump into each other and catch up. Just like you would with other business and personal contacts. Some people might be all "ooh, look at you bragging about the MD of Lotus being in your contacts". For me these are just people I've known for 20+ years because of a shared interest in quirky plastic cars - they build them and I buy them ;)

I appreciate the comments and believe you for sure. I just wasn't sure where this guy came from and seemed to be talking a big game. I knew when I was typing it that you probably have that kind of access, but don't go around blaring it to someone when you disagree.

We are all just chomping at the bit waiting for this car, and we are down to squabbling over every, incessant detail, because there is still so much uncertainty about things we would like to know before agreeing to pay $100k+ for it.

Oh well, I actually have been getting more and more excited about it lately. Cannot wait for real reviews!

I think there were some tests done which showed the Evora 60-0 deceleration was about half the time for the 0-60 acceleration. If you get the chance try it out - you will get a different "seat of the pants" experience and if you have a passenger they will probably want a change of underwear. Just make sure you DO NOT try it on a public road, as you'll likely collect someone rear-ending you :)
That is Porsches MO on any of their cars. If it does 0-60 in 3.2 it needs to stop in 1.6!
Impressive as its accross the range from 718 to Cayenne!

That works for me. Good enough. So they have detuned the i4 (and the price) compared to the V6. That sets up the i4 carrying the banner with following models once the V6 becomes history, which sadly is not that far away. We're almost halfway through 2022 already.

It would be interesting if Lotus offered a no cost option regarding engine output of the V6.

Just imagine,..... similar to the no cost suspension option choices currently available on the First Edition, if you could choose between the No cost option for the "400 hp version" of the V6 engine with a manual or the No cost option for the "450hp version" of the V6 engine with a manual. Your choice which engine for your EMIRA.

I wonder how many would choose the no cost option for the "400hp version"

I am sure we all know the answer.....bet almost zero.

There is your true answer..... and not BS that is spewed from those who prefer their car neutered.

It would be interesting if Lotus offered a no cost option regarding engine output of the V6.

Just imagine,..... similar to the no cost suspension option choices currently available on the First Edition, if you could choose between the No cost option for the "400 hp version" of the V6 engine with a manual or the No cost option for the "450hp version" of the V6 engine with a manual. Your choice which engine for your EMIRA.

There is your true answer..... and not BS that is spewed from those who prefer their car neutered.
Brilliant.
However, it will only be a short time before people start coming up with specious reasons to justify the 400 HP.
For example, CO2 or fuel price increases.

To be realistic, Lotus would then have to offer the option „Touring with 450hp“ with exception of extensive use on the track or „Sport with 400hp“ and permission for use on track as thermal household will be acceptible for extended use on track.

Which one would you choose then?

Yeah, I said the same thing and everyone went quiet. Even as a 'with cost' option I'd expect the uptake to be high.

From a strictly economics / financial perspective I do wonder just how much upside there is in staggering releases i.e. imaging Porsche released all variants of the 911 from the jump - Base, S, GTS, Turbo & Turbo S. Is is really that much more profitable to stagger the releases with mid-cycle refreshes?

Seriously what are you all on about. Just stop ✋🤣
It competes with 400bhp and 360bhp cars. That is why it has the power it has. Get over it, or move up a class and pay £40k more. Or wait 3 years for the sportier Emira model. By then though you will be complaining that 500 bhp is the new 450

It competes with 400bhp and 360bhp cars. That is why it has the power it has. Get over it, or move up a class and pay £40k more. Or wait 3 years for the sportier Emira model. By then though you will be complaining that 500 bhp is the new 450
Agree with grumpy pants. ;)

Should we want a 500HP Emira (which may be released at some point with the AMG i4T engine), then I'd expect to pay close to Porsche GT4 RS money. The power/torque/price of the Emira is competitive with the Porsche direct competitor mid-engine offering.

For those of us that want lots of power for a lower price, then we can choose go down a GMC, Ford, BMW, Merc, VW or Audi front engined mainstream hatch/coupe/sedan. The only exception would be the recent mid-engined Corvette which has somewhat shaken up the industry.

The only exception would be the recent mid-engined Corvette which has somewhat shaken up the industry.
And sat in a segment of its own really. Altho the market has dictated that because of the power and value it is too cheap and should sit in a segment higher, hence the massive premiums being charged for it

Sorry, but you’re not allowed on the roads in Worcestershire. This is my ‘manor’ and we can’t have two Emiras tearing up the lanes
What colour you ordering? I don't want to clash with having the same...

I keep changing between Nimbus and the Red...

Which 400hp car if I may ask? The 718 GTS is a 0-60 in 3.6s car and I don’t think anyone can argue it’s cornering / track chops. That’s markedly quicker than the Emira target of 4.3s.

P.S. This is the point of the thread.

This is not an attempt to shut down discussion, but how is this thread supposed to conclude? Everyone eventually agrees that it should have had 450hp at launch in order to make it a markedly more compelling car, but alas accept that it does not, for various mostly-commercial reasons, and then we all go and get a pint...? :)

The strawman of the "no cost" option to choose between higher and lower power ratings is just silly... I won't disagree that a cost option would totally have made sense, but again, it probably did not happen for mostly-commercial reasons. I'm as internally bitter as the next person that they chose not to let the i4 off the leash, at least for the First Edition spec, but it won't stop me pulling the trigger on the purchase if everything else lives up to expectations.

So here we are. Now, about that pint...

This is not an attempt to shut down discussion, but how is this thread supposed to conclude? Everyone eventually agrees that it should have had 450hp at launch in order to make it a markedly more compelling car, but alas accept that it does not, for various mostly-commercial reasons, and then we all go and get a pint...? :)

Here already. Have an order in for this and the next one if it sees the light of day.

You’re right though, all that can be said has been said. At this point we’re at the ‘trying to teach a pig to sing’ stage.

Funny how the discussion has pivoted.

defenders of 400 hp began discussions adamantly defending that 400hp is plenty enough HP for the EMIRA, and have now evolved into saying the 400hp figure at launch is not going to change regardless and if you don't like it buy a different car.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back