• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lotus Emira Key?

Every car I own, 8 in total right now, has a physical key. Both my wife and son have cars with push button start and engine management systems that stop the car when idling at an intersection. Honestly, I’m not a fan of either one, and particularly not the latter. Every time I hear the engine fire back up I just cringe. And I like turning a key. It connects me to the car, kind of like shaking hands to say hi.
I'm with you there. I have had proximity key & auto start/stop for many years.
There is also the extra security risk with the proximity key. Someone could follow you with a signal booster whilst there partner in crime with the booster receiver opens, starts and drives the car away! Similar risk when parked outside your house and you leave the keys near the door etc. Technology may have been updated to prevent this? A Faraday pouch is an alternative but then you have to take the key out to use it, so defeats the object.

Stop/start tends to stop just when your about to pull out at a junction etc. Very annoying at times and I think it does it on purpose to wind me up :mad:. I therefore always turn this off (y)

I'm with you there. I have had proximity key & auto start/stop for many years.
There is also the extra security risk with the proximity key. Someone could follow you with a signal booster whilst there partner in crime with the booster receiver opens, starts and drives the car away! Similar risk when parked outside your house and you leave the keys near the door etc. Technology may have been updated to prevent this? A Faraday pouch is an alternative but then you have to take the key out to use it, so defeats the object.

Stop/start tends to stop just when your about to pull out at a junction etc. Very annoying at times and I think it does it on purpose to wind me up :mad:. I therefore always turn this off (y)
Start/stop MUST be turned off as soon as one drives off a lot. I don't know how you guys can live with it. :LOL:

This is obviously a divisive subject, but I think it's very much what you're used to. Both myself + partners last 2 cars have had it, so very used to leaving my key in my pocket and just using the handle to lock and unlock. It's a bit annoying to go backwards but not a deal breaker for me.

Aside from this, I've been doing some research and the other cars on my shortlist that have the same style flush handles (new f type, vantage), as far as I can tell also omit this feature. So not like going elsewhere would help

Perhaps it's particularly difficult to do when you have the flush handles?

Hello guys,
I was wondering if anyone knows how the EMIRA key will look like?
I couldn't find anything so far on the web.

Regards,
Andrew
For me, every time you get into a car like this it should feel like an event. As Aston Martin did with the previous Vantage (and DB9) they recognised that the key plays a part in this and came up with one which was a beautiful, tactile object in its own right. (although naming it "Emotion Control Unit" was a little overblown!)

I'd like to be excited every time I lay hands on a great looking tactile Emira key and actually using it to unlock the car, rather than it sitting passively in my pocket, is part of the experience and theatre of owning and enjoying the car.

7b077029786007f2cb66a860c397d8ec.jpg

Last edited:
Aside from this, I've been doing some research and the other cars on my shortlist that have the same style flush handles (new f type, vantage), as far as I can tell also omit this feature. So not like going elsewhere would help

Perhaps it's particularly difficult to do when you have the flush handles?

The F-type R comes standard with passive entry. You only touch the handle and it pops out and it's the same to lock it. Touch the handle and it pops in and locks.

I am not sure how Aston works, but Tesla and Porsche have the ultimate flush handle passive entry in that the handles pop out when you get near the car and automatically pop in as you leave.
This is not a flush handle problem, however, it could be a chip issue as even the F-type R is eliminating this feature right now due to the shortage.

The F-type R comes standard with passive entry. You only touch the handle and it pops out and it's the same to lock it. Touch the handle and it pops in and locks.

I am not sure how Aston works, but Tesla and Porsche have the ultimate flush handle passive entry in that the handles pop out when you get near the car and automatically pop in as you leave.
This is not a flush handle problem, however, it could be a chip issue as even the F-type R is eliminating this feature right now due to the shortage.
The chip is already in the fob, you need it for the start/stop button for the engine which exists in the Emira. All they need is a sensor in the door handle to transmit the radio freq as well so I don’t buy the chip shortage reason

Last edited:
The chip is already in the fob, you need it for the start/stop button for the engine which exists in the Emira. All they need is a sensor in the door handle to transmit the radio freq as well so I don’t buy the chip shortage reason
Well, I have a 2022 F-Type R on order and the keyless entry and powered tailgate are not going to be available due to the chip shortage.
I thought it was odd as well, but that is what the dealer said JLR told them.

It’s absolutely a deal breaker for me. This will be my daily driver and with all the alternatives out there there is no way I’m going to be rooting around trying to find a key to open my doors.

That literally has not been a thing for 5-10 years.

It’s more like dating a model that wants to pick her nose at dinner every single night . Yah I might overlook it for the first few exciting nights but after that it’s gonna get annoying real fking fast.
keyless entry is included as standard.

source: https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/2022-lotus-emira-first-edition-price-and-specs

Hello guys,
I was wondering if anyone knows how the EMIRA key will look like?
I couldn't find anything so far on the web.

Regards,
Andrew
I hope that it is a proper key to shove in the dashboard and start the engine by a turn of the same key!!! Keyless go is just pants. But Lotus will no doubt have to go with the 'trend' for keyless, or risk looking old fashioned to the media trolls, who don't buy, or more likely can't afford to buy these cars anyway. The same people who say it's under powered with 400hp. Please give us a proper key!!

For me, every time you get into a car like this it should feel like an event. As Aston Martin did with the previous Vantage (and DB9) they recognised that the key plays a part in this and came up with one which was a beautiful, tactile object in its own right. (although naming it "Emotion Control Unit" was a little overblown!)

I'd like to be excited every time I lay hands on a great looking tactile Emira key and actually using it to unlock the car, rather than it sitting passively in my pocket, is part of the experience and theatre of owning and enjoying the car.

7b077029786007f2cb66a860c397d8ec.jpg
Well said

I hope that it is a proper key to shove in the dashboard and start the engine by a turn of the same key!!! Keyless go is just pants. But Lotus will no doubt have to go with the 'trend' for keyless, or risk looking old fashioned to the media trolls, who don't buy, or more likely can't afford to buy these cars anyway. The same people who say it's under powered with 400hp. Please give us a proper key!!

Sorry, it won't be - start/stop button under the red cover:
Drive mode V6 LHD.jpeg

I would suggest that that source may be wrong - lotuscars.com only says “keyless go” ….

Huh! I did a search on Keyless Go and it does indeed show up on certain Lotuscars.com pages. This is interesting because Keyless Go is a registered trademark for Diamler corporation. It specifically includes unlocking/locking by touching the door handles and is an upgrade over their Keyless Start system, which only includes keyless starting of the car, and is also a registered trademark.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that Diamler was able to get these trademarks registered in the first place since they are merely descriptive.

Any news about how the actual key will look like?
Maybe from someone who has seen the car in real life and paid attention to this small detail?

One of the things I do miss about the old cars was the leather key fob with the car company's logo on it. It always looked cool seeing it hanging down from the ignition switch, especially if the switch was on the dashboard and not on the steering column. The combination of the logo on the horn button, the wooden shift knob, and the key fob just oozed the idea of sports car. If it had a gorgeous wooden dash, then it was pure British class.

1968 Lotus Elan +2.jpeg