• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

What does CARB approval for a brand new car model entail?

It is all outlined below (in the link). It should be noticed that even if this started as a California initiative; it is getting more common that new car models for sale in all of the USA seek this approval.

An entire group of European car manufacturers have agreed to make CARB approval mandatory for all new models certified for sale in the USA. LOTUS CARS is not a member of this group, but it seems that it is getting more common for all (non-US) car manufacturers to seek this approval. The need it for Californian sales anyway, so it is useful for all US marketing throughout the USA.

So if I buy a car from California but ship it to another state, will that car still be required to be under CARB regulations?

I am not a US official, nor an expert on US homologation of cars. I am also not in any way or form related to LOTUS CARS, or the LOTUS distribution network, neither in the USA nor anywhere else in the world. I am not even a US citizen, and nor am I a resident of the USA.

Everything I have written is available to anyone capable of using Google (or another) internet search engine.

California’s CARB contains the strictest regulations regarding emissions in the USA. Non-US car manufacturers therefore design for, and aim for clearing the CARB regulations. Having cleared these regulations, it means that a car can be sold anywhere in the USA.

Also note that it was “Lotus of Naples’, the largest Lotus retailer in the USA, that in another, separate post, made it known that the current process that the EMIRA is going through is to clear CARB certification. As most LOTUS drivers know, ‘Lotus of Naples’ is located in Florida.

CARB becomes like a “stamp of approval” for a given car model to be sold in all US states. This is on the condition that emission control equipment has not been tampered with.

If LOTUS CARS were to homologate the LOTUS EMIRA separately or individually for each US state, it would be more complicated and possibly cause an even longer delay. It would also cause more problems when cars are traded from one state to another.

It is really necessary for everyone who write about this subject to this forum to do your own research, and to find out what is going on regarding homologation of cars in the US market. The truth is that the US today have some of the strictest rules regarding homologation of cars (not only emissions) among all countries in the world, and without doubt, this is a very comprehensive and time consuming process.

Only a few more months are now required to have the LOTUS EMIRA homologated for all US states. After this has been accomplished, it will be legal to sell in all US states, and also to move across state lines (purchase/sell).

Again; I am not an expert and have no special authority or education in this regard. I have simply arranged information that is available to anyone on this forum. Please feel free to correct me if you find something I may have gotten wrong.

Last edited:
Well that's gross. Is there a way to modify it back to normal? Is it just exhaust mods or is there anything else that I would have to fix?

I don't believe the car will be any different for California. Lotus just needs to get the Emira certified to sell it in all 50 states. All manufacturers go through this. They aren't tweaking the cars differently for each US state, but they are slightly different from the Euro models for all of North America (lights, emissions, bumpers, etc.).

Ha! I put in an order over a year ago and they said 18 months!!!🤣🤣😂 I didn’t even make the cut for FE2
I put in an order over TWO years ago and haven’t made the cut for the 2.0.

I guess I’m destined to wait until the release of the base model and will presumably get an allocation then……WTFDIK?

Well that's gross. Is there a way to modify it back to normal? Is it just exhaust mods or is there anything else that I would have to fix?
There is always a way to do anything you want to modify the car once you have it. But if you decide to move to CA you will have to show proof that the car meets CA requirements

Washington also requires California-spec emissions at time of delivery. But unlike California, we don't have to take the car in for inspection every 2 years thereafter, so it's fairly common for some emissions equipment to fall off of sportscars over time.

It's a good thing most US states don't run their business the way California does or they'd all be bankrupt. I imagine if CA wasn't an issue then we'd all have gotten our Emiras by now.

Washington also requires California-spec emissions at time of delivery. But unlike California, we don't have to take the car in for inspection every 2 years thereafter, so it's fairly common for some emissions equipment to fall off of sportscars over time.
Just a small clarification: California doesn't require emissions inspection until the 9th registration year and then every other year like you mentioned.

CA is best and ESG friendly, people. Welcome to 2023!

Everyone can just chill, the Emira will be EPA and CARB certified. No need to get all wound up over some chatgpt copy paste from Tokion.

Exactly. It'll pass. It's the same exact powetrain as the Evora, which obviously passed and sold in the states for years and years. Lotus just needs to jump through some hoops for the new model certification. Everything is a process. Could Lotus have been more efficient and handled this sooner? Probably, yes.

Here we go with the politics. :rolleyes:
Exactly. We’re watching this thread closely in case someone starts taking it off at a tangent about climate change or state-imposed emissions regulations. Let’s not get into a debate about which state builds the best cars :)

Just a small clarification: California doesn't require emissions inspection until the 9th registration year and then every other year like you mentioned.
Thanks for clarifying, it may have changed since I left in 2010. Used to be a 4-year grace period for a new car and then biannual smog checks.

Thanks for clarifying, it may have changed since I left in 2010. Used to be a 4-year grace period for a new car and then biannual smog checks.

Yup, changed around then. So did WA recently, they used to have county specific smog when I lived there.

Exactly. We’re watching this thread closely in case someone starts taking it off at a tangent about climate change or state-imposed emissions regulations. Let’s not get into a debate about which state builds the best cars :)
Well we can all agree it's not North Dakota!

Last edited:

Might just go on a rant about CA emissions standards for the express purpose of getting banned so I don't check this forum daily any more.....

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back