• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

I have a brand new roll sitting on a shelf, but I am scared to use it. Why? Because I read some very negative reviews about paint peeling off, or scratches on the paint because the tape partially peeled off and flapped on the paint at 70mph.

How do you apply it and peel it off without any negative consequences?
Peel it off slowly at a sharp angle…and don’t try to use big pieces…I basically make a mosaic on the front bumper, half the hood/frunk, front fenders, behind the rear tires, and the leading edge of roof. It’s not pretty, but it works.

Attachments

• IMG_3659.png
    IMG_3659.png
    267.2 KB · Views: 94
Really struggling with the PPF decision here. My lifetime allocations of given fucks is waning and I'm trying to weigh how much I care. Two years ago I got my first new Italian sled, a bit embarrassing so we'll say it rhymes with Shamborshmini shmuracan shemvo. I had never bothered with PPF before, only having it on used cars I procured that way.
At the behest of the dealer and pressures from the community and being convinced it was de rigueur for an exotic car and would brandish me a terrible owner and raise many a red flag if I drove it naked, I took it to Darien Detail in CT and spent $10K on a full head to toe PPF AND a coating of chemicals that have something to do with clay pots.

Being fair, the car always looked incredibly clean. I had it two years and I washed it once myself, once at the dealer for a service, and once more at the detailer. And it was great to know it was protected. BUT 10 GRAND?? Now the car is for sale at O'gara coach in a subtle little enclave called Beverly Hills. I highly doubt I'll see $0.01 in additional pocket change.

Being a collector and general nutcase (a fucking idiot with drives their savings account), I've had over 40 vehicles in my tenure and the Lambo was the only one I ever PPFd. I live and drive in NYC. Over all of these vehicles I have had exactly 1 incident involving a Porsche Boxster and a hood rock chip that could have been saved were my car ensconced in the finest of petrochemical derived body condoms. So, the analyst in me thinks its not worth it. I remember the days before clear bras and PPF and all this stuff. You never, ever see the money back so its really how much would a nick or scratch that can't be detailed out bother me vs parting with $8 or 10K again.

Things to ruminate about as my carb afflicted car sits at the port. Or on the water. Or in England. Who knows.
I agree.. Id rather just fixnthe chip or whatever..like the old days.

Old days paint was harder. More resilient than the eco friendly paints now.

you are probably right about base + all boxes checked = FE but a few thousand more. but do we actually know? I dont think so, all educated guesses.

theres a chance we have more choices when the base config comes out. small stuff, like stripes on my steering wheel (only on auto atm). or different color wheels. or other small stuff who knows. theres also those OEM carbon fiber additions that are rumored

i suspect ill spec out my base just like an FE but i cant know for sure until I see all of my options
The thing you're not seeing is the significant motion in the underlying base price of the car over time.

Those who decided to wait for the "base" car in order to get a more economical (or price-optimized) configuration will likely pay more for the absolute base spec, with no options ticked, than the FE 1.0 buyers have paid for the fully optioned car.

If you're ok with paying ~20k more for the underlying asset in order to access a few new potential options that may become available on the base configurator, that's up to you. Doesn't seem to be great math, though.

It’s wild to me how this has gone! July 21 deposit here and hoped for an FE, missed out by a mile and then just snuck into an FE 2….for quite awhile it looked like I would get a base 6-12 months after the first FE deliveries sometime mid 2024….and ppl way down the list who deposited in 2022 looking at a 2025-2026 base delivery. Well fast forward and it looks like everyone will get their cars within a few months of each regardless of deposit early 2021 (pre-goodwood) and late 2022. Only difference being the price discount on the FE 1.

As a fellow Canadian my 2 cents, the price has only gone up 10K in CAD for FE 2. If you do the FX to the FE 2 price in the US or UK you’re actually getting it for 15K less! I think you’re likely going to be looking at a higher price down the line if you pass up (for Canada) once Lotus makes some adjustment for this F/X difference. I’m not sure if perhaps it’s some good grace Lotus gave us on FE 2 pricing as we got fewer allocations for FE 1 relative to deposit dates or it just happened by fluke.

Anyway, if you prefer a base or perhaps final edition with upped power or more options etc. it may benefit to wait but I think you’re looking at a higher price a year from now for the same spec in Canada…
:2022 looking at a 2025-2026 base delivery"... what? better not take this long..
The thing you're not seeing is the significant motion in the underlying base price of the car over time.

Those who decided to wait for the "base" car in order to get a more economical (or price-optimized) configuration will likely pay more for the absolute base spec, with no options ticked, than the FE 1.0 buyers have paid for the fully optioned car.

If you're ok with paying ~20k more for the underlying asset in order to access a few new potential options that may become available on the base configurator, that's up to you. Doesn't seem to be great math, though.
You make it sound like most of us have a choice. I deposited 0ct 2022 will glady take anything now.. I can't afford these price increases.. barely.could afford the original advertised price.

:2022 looking at a 2025-2026 base delivery"... what? better not take this long..

You make it sound like most of us have a choice. I deposited 0ct 2022 will glady take anything now.. I can't afford these price increases.. barely.could afford the original advertised price.
You definitely still have a choice. FE 2.0 allocations are literally available now for late spring delivery. The base car may still be a full year away from even being orderable, and the price will likely hike again by then.

I would regard the "base" car (and its' originally suggested lower price point) to both be vaporware until the entirety of the market gets its appetite for loaded FE cars fully sated. It could be a while, and in the meantime prices keep going up.

It’s wild to me how this has gone! July 21 deposit here and hoped for an FE, missed out by a mile and then just snuck into an FE 2….for quite awhile it looked like I would get a base 6-12 months after the first FE deliveries sometime mid 2024….and ppl way down the list who deposited in 2022 looking at a 2025-2026 base delivery. Well fast forward and it looks like everyone will get their cars within a few months of each regardless of deposit early 2021 (pre-goodwood) and late 2022. Only difference being the price discount on the FE 1.

As a fellow Canadian my 2 cents, the price has only gone up 10K in CAD for FE 2. If you do the FX to the FE 2 price in the US or UK you’re actually getting it for 15K less! I think you’re likely going to be looking at a higher price down the line if you pass up (for Canada) once Lotus makes some adjustment for this F/X difference. I’m not sure if perhaps it’s some good grace Lotus gave us on FE 2 pricing as we got fewer allocations for FE 1 relative to deposit dates or it just happened by fluke.

Anyway, if you prefer a base or perhaps final edition with upped power or more options etc. it may benefit to wait but I think you’re looking at a higher price a year from now for the same spec in Canada…
Sorry, I am probably dense but what is FX and F/X ?

Dealer called today…”My car has been processed” at the Baltimore dock……whatever that means. He has no idea if it will be brought to their dealership or stored near the dock. I’m in a non- CARB state.
That’s crazy I figured yours was there as of last week.

My point was that a year ago it looked like 2022 would be getting a car in 2025-2026, but now it looks like you may get one in 2024 same year as first depositors. This was based on numbers for example my dealer you’d be in the 100s with them getting say 50 cars a year, so 3rd year of deliveries. It seems like 90% of early depositors for FE 1 took them though and now it’s less than half.

I dont want privacy glass either. Praying my dealer checked the 'double-negative' box correctly!
Same.

A while ago I had Tammy confirm my spec because I don’t trust my dealer. Everything was correct except privacy glass was included.

I told her I had not chosen privacy glass and that I wanted that corrected. She referred me back to the dealer saying:

“The dealers will be more accurate as the form is sent off to the factory, mine is just on a spreadsheet that has manually been entered.”

When the dealer finally answered they told me:

"I just double checked your order, and the privacy glass option is deleted."

I think this confusion was a product of the “double negative” option. Dealer got it right but factory messed it up. So now I have a feeling I will get privacy glass.

Debating what to do if the car show's up with it. I will probably make them replace the glass, but that has me worried about how good of a job they will do.

I dont want privacy glass either. Praying my dealer checked the 'double-negative' box correctly!
Same! Worried now about the double-negative order confusion. The person who constructed the order sheet should be put on double-secret probation.

Same! Worried now about the double-negative order confusion. The person who constructed the order sheet should be put on double-secret probation.
Ah super — another new thing to feel anxiety about while I wait for my car! 😄

Same.

A while ago I had Tammy confirm my spec because I don’t trust my dealer. Everything was correct except privacy glass was included.

I told her I had not chosen privacy glass and that I wanted that corrected. She referred me back to the dealer saying:

“The dealers will be more accurate as the form is sent off to the factory, mine is just on a spreadsheet that has manually been entered.”

When the dealer finally answered they told me:

"I just double checked your order, and the privacy glass option is deleted."

I think this confusion was a product of the “double negative” option. Dealer got it right but factory messed it up. So now I have a feeling I will get privacy glass.

Debating what to do if the car show's up with it. I will probably make them replace the glass, but that has me worried about how good of a job they will do.
If I get privacy glass (asked for the delete) and it doesn't look annoying enough to be worth replacement, maybe I'll ask for a few free oil changes or something else "in-kind". More than a free t-shirt though...

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back