• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

Figured I'd share some quick remarks for what its worth:

I was in Hethel last week for the second time in as many years. My Emira 1.0 will be my 8th personal Lotus, and having convinced my father and sister to order one as well, in my mind the stable has grown to 10.

I know we are all upset and perhaps even increasingly trepidatious about the car and the delays, dearth of information, and consequent and rampant speculation that has ensued. I'd be the first to attest that its not been handled well, it's not okay, and it's not great for the future, as invigorating Emira owners and ensuring they remain hyper passionate is the best way to engender the needed market awareness, brand evangelism, and frankly hype needed to move the upcoming EVs.

So, that all being said, I have the extreme pleasure of knowing some of the folks over at Lotus. Last year, my whole family went to Hethel following my sisters wedding and had an incredible day touring the factory, design studios, classic center, etc.

This time I returned for a business pursuit, and after having another great day at Lotus, I wanted to try and highlight just how wonderful the people over in Hethel are. The ones doing the design, engineering, testing, assembly, management etc. are as kind, enthusiastic, humble, and hard working as ever. I had a great chat with Matt Windle and was able to tour the assembly line again (and eye the 2.0 colors I wish I could have specced!) and it was great to see things humming along.

While I can't share everything discussed there are some upshots to our delays. They're going on two years of assembly now. Having been through the BMW Munich plant, Corvette production at Bowling Green, The Morgan facility in Malvern, Lamborghini in
Sant'Agata Bolognese, and now Lotus twice, it's cleary evident they're using world standard techniques and the cars are being crafted in a way that belies the still, lets be frank, quite reasonable ask for such low production numbers and advanced techniques. It should go without saying that some of the kinks have been worked out in the time since assembly has started, and even in the year and change since my last visit, you can see updates on the line. They're making more cars, and there's even a new QA facility that's severely upped the number of vehicles sampled from the line daily they go over with the finest of toothed combs. They're far exceeding the sample rate of the many great automakers.

Back to the issues we see here daily, the CARB fiasco flat out sucks, and we all know it. I truly am not privy to the inside story of why things got so delayed, but if anyone has dealt with government agencies, just know the frustration reverberates throughout corporate and the greater dealer network. More so, Lotus is ever aware of the temperature of the North American market and is working to make things right going forward. In transparency, that's one of things I'm trying to work with them on. With the SPAC coming up, it's not legally tenable to be as transparent as we'd all wish, but Lotus is making moves on that front.

I wish you could all see Hethel and I'd enthusiastically implore anyone with the time to go for a visit. Yes, growing up in the church of Clarkson/May/Hammond/Metcalfe/Watson/Harris and all the other legendary British petrolheads its no wonder I became such an anglophile, but I assure it is not with rose tints that I say this is the finest team of people who really do, despite what some have seen here, give a shit.

I think, on balance, once the cars finally arrive (soon, it really is soon) a few turns of the wheel will ensure that the juice has very much been worth the squeeze.

Wish I could have taken photos of the assembly line and the rest of the place.

Cheers everyone
Totally agree with you, sometimes we only look at things from a very narrow perspective… We forget to look at the positive side of events that effect us…
This time has only improved the product we are receiving… Congratulations for communicating it so well!!! My deepest Thanks!

Montréal dealer confirmed canada approved emira. 60 Canadian cars on ship to arrive March 6ish
does your vin yield results on google? I contacted another FE1 Vancouver both our vins dont yield results

Montréal dealer confirmed canada approved emira. 60 Canadian cars on ship to arrive March 6ish
Thanks for sharing! Any idea if this is the first or the 2nd batch? Yesterday’s news implied they were on the way from Baltimore, so anything coming by ship now would be the 2nd batch. When I spoked to Gentry over the last couple weeks they weren’t sure whether their FE V1s were sitting somewhere in the US or not.

As of last week the status of mine was in production while some and all the V1s were “produced”. Wondering if it might be on that delivery :). If not fingers crossed it won’t be more than a month later.

I really doubt any Canadian cars have arrived in the US. Someone who's have found the import records.

I really doubt any Canadian cars have arrived in the US. Someone who's have found the import records.
This sounds about right to me, my dealer also said VIN likely when it’s put on ship and I’m not aware of anyone in Canada getting their VIN.

Thanks for sharing! Any idea if this is the first or the 2nd batch? Yesterday’s news implied they were on the way from Baltimore, so anything coming by ship now would be the 2nd batch. When I spoked to Gentry over the last couple weeks they weren’t sure whether their FE V1s were sitting somewhere in the US or not.

As of last week the status of mine was in production while some and all the V1s were “produced”. Wondering if it might be on that delivery :). If not fingers crossed it won’t be more than a month later.
couple of us in vancouver have had the vin since late dec/early jan. none of them shows up on import search yet
It is my understanding that 1 small batch of Canadian cars were held at port in Baltimore or possible Lotus USA in Michigan. All F/E V1's. However, there is a possibility they were held at port in UK/Hethel. Either way, someone in Canada will be driving an Emira by end of March hopefully!

It's also unlikely that they would ship the bulk of the Canadian cars through a US port. Just too messy a process. They have enough cars being made for the Canadian market that it would make more sense to import via a Canadian port like Halifax, St. John, or even Montreal.

I guess it's very possible that some of the 500+ cars shipped to Baltimore was destined for Canada. We don't really have a way to confirm that all of those cars were sent to non-Carb dealers.

Mine just says made in Hethel, didnt show up on any ships.