• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA & Canada pricing

Did everyone get corrected pricing email? I only got the wrong one

I suppose people are upset because they had an unrealistic price in mind up front. Reading the initial releases, and a little between the lines, it seemed that Lotus was quoting a price for the most basic one, and then talking about the 6 cylinder first edition cars. I realized it wasn't an apples to apples pricing. When I talked with John at Gentry before putting down a deposit, I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he thought it would be around $120k.....maybe I'm remembering wrong?

I suppose people are upset because they had an unrealistic price in mind up front. Reading the initial releases, and a little between the lines, it seemed that Lotus was quoting a price for the most basic one, and then talking about the 6 cylinder first edition cars. I realized it wasn't an apples to apples pricing. When I talked with John at Gentry before putting down a deposit, I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he thought it would be around $120k.....maybe I'm remembering wrong?
You're not wrong... John at Gentry told me the same thing.

Curious how you know this.

Its just my opinion. But typically companies like to create fanatics. Fanatics are irrational and passionate. This could be negative or positive feelings. I am not a car forum expert but I have been in a few. This forum has great enthusiasm on both sides in my opinion. I work in the world of corporate strategy, branding, etc. and this forum would be looked upon favorably from what I have seen. But I have no specific knowledge. If the Emira drives like I think it will, I for one will be looking for a used Evora to track. Hence new fanatic.

You're not wrong... John at Gentry told me the same thing.
Oakville gave a range of $110-$120 so while it is at the high end of the range it is basically my expectation. That is until this forum got my hopes up for $113-$116 but what’s $7k between friends.

Oh please, I give my honest opinions to my customers, fortunately I don't work where I am expected to be a puppet.

80% of the people who left their cash as a deposit with me have backed out, there is a reason for this, and it important that it is said.
So what pricing did you tell the people that 80% of them are backing out? I was told $120k by one dealer and $110-$120k by another. Obviously you were not realistic in what you told them. So yes, "there is a reason for this". I think you quoted how Lotus have priced their cars very high in the past. Why did you think they were going to change now?

I'm really not trying to be argumentative or mean, but you seem to be blaming Lotus for their pricing when it seems consistent with how they have always done it. Are you new to the Lotus business?

I'm not arguing about whether the car is worth $143k out the door or not (for me it's not) but there is no denying re the numbers that CDNs are getting shafted on the pricing relative to other markets, esp when compared to other upper-end "fun" cars.

Expectations aside.... imo charging more than even the exchange rate between US vs Canada is just not right. Btw, I was not given any pricing expectations from my dealer - if I had been told $120k 3 months ago I would never have put a deposit down - instead I would have continued shopping for something else more sensibly priced.

Decades ago I purchased vehicles from the US - back when it was actually worthwhile re cost vs exchange rate. - but for quite some time now Canada has enjoyed somewhat more sensible comparative pricing for many upper-end cars.

For example, two 1/2-decent cars I have recently owned:
- a 2021 Audi TTRS is US$72.5k in USA. The same 2021 TTRS is CDN$79k in Canada.
- the 2009 GT-R I bought was CDN$82.5k in 2009, in the USA it was US$74k.

And another even more relevant example: 2020 Cayman GT4 - CAN$113.8k US$99.2k (I did not buy one of these).

A small sample size I know, and I know not quite as exclusive as an Emira, but the point being that the CDN price on these cars has for some time been sensible re our market differences. To charge CDNs full exchange rate vs the US price AND adding on an additional 3-4% on top of that already high price just for kicks is to me not indicative of a manufacturer that wants our business.

It seems that Lotus USA wants to keep the brand VERY exclusive and down to around 1/2 dozen dealers in Canada - because based on the "screw you guys" pricing there seems little interest in stimulating growth in volume or coverage of the brand in this country.

I just placed my order last Friday and John told me about $125k and 18 months. I’m really not interested in an FE car at $120k. I just don’t need some of those options.

I’m a little disappointed that Lotus US just took the US price and converted it at about $1.28. I was hoping that they would position the car at least a few thousand below a GT4.

Are most Lotus customers in Canada of Chinese descent? What's with the 888?
Precisely. This gave it away for me.

Vancouver is the biggest supercar market in North America per capita, due almost entirely to Chinese buyers.

The Emira had been priced for them. The rest of Canada is an afterthought.

I don’t think the lower pricing was unrealistic. In fact, it’s so realistic that it was priced that way in almost every other country in the world.

What’s unrealistic is thinking this car is worth more than 110k Canadian, before taxes and fees. Any knowledge of the Canadian car market and you’d know that not be the case.

if I had been told $120k 3 months ago I would never have put a deposit down -

exactly, ......If I was told by my dealer or by LOTUS USA that the USA price for the First Edition was $94K USD PLUS $2k destination/shipping, I would have never given my local dealer a deposit. Would have never happened. I would have laughed in his face.

Just the fact that so many here are voicing their options that the pricing is not competitive with other offerings in the market really shows that LOTUS got pricing off by a bit. And when a Canadian dealer confirms such a large volume of cancellations, it backs that up even more.

Precisely. This gave it away for me.

Vancouver is the biggest supercar market in North America per capita, due almost entirely to Chinese buyers.

The Emira had been priced for them. The rest of Canada is an afterthought.

I think that is obvious with the "888" in the price..... Chinese good luck.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back