• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA & Canada pricing

To compare the v6 fe with the cayman is fair, lotus themselves openly say they are going for that market segment, so it's fair to compare the price and all the specs and technology. What you can't say yet is that the cayman and m2 comp will be a lot more car as you or the motoring press haven't driven it yet. I think it will take on the cayman gts, gt4 and m2 comp. If it doesn't they are in trouble. Come on lotus!!

If the GT4 was $127,000 would the Emira be ok then priced at $119?
No it is not only that.

It is the fact that Lotus sell their car 28%-30% higher in Canada then their USA price while their direct competitors sell them mainly 15%-16% higher ( Jaguar 20-22% ).
The problem is related to Lotus cars USA.
If we were under UK division like most other country in the world things would be different.

Last edited:
Yes, you’ve posted this info several times already. Another one who knows more about the Canadian car market than Lotus.
I gave you facts about what all the direct competition does and you still refuse to see the big picture ?
Do you think Lotus USA knows better the Canadian market then all the others ?

So you think other car brand are stupid and do not sell their car high enough right ?

Lotus is the one with financial problem and do not sell enough car not the others.

Lotus USA took a 4K-5K extra over with the USA pricing vs the GBP Emira pricing and then they took another 5K-6K too much extra for the Canadian market vs their USA pricing so at the end of the chain we are those one who are loosing twice at change!!!

Also on a side note, why Lotus destination charge fees are 2 - 2.5 time more expensive then the others on top of that ?
Car and driver did an article on that subject and Lotus is into the top 10 most expensive. After they wonder why they do not sell well...
My salesman told me to expect for the Emira 2000$-2200$US for transport fees + 800$ for preparation fees = between 3.5K - 4K CAD
Porsche destination fees : 1.5K CAD
Jaguar destination fees : 2.6K CAD
BMW destination and PDI fees : 2.2K CAD

Last edited:
So what pricing did you tell the people that 80% of them are backing out? I was told $120k by one dealer and $110-$120k by another. Obviously you were not realistic in what you told them. So yes, "there is a reason for this". I think you quoted how Lotus have priced their cars very high in the past. Why did you think they were going to change now?

I'm really not trying to be argumentative or mean, but you seem to be blaming Lotus for their pricing when it seems consistent with how they have always done it. Are you new to the Lotus business?
Agree he should be working out solutions with Lotus USA and customers rather than complaining on here.
But you are right manage the expectation properly in the first place and you wouldn't be handing back so many deposits....

No it is not only that.

It is the fact that Lotus sell their car 28%-30% higher in Canada then their USA price while their direct competitors sell them mainly 15%-16% higher ( Jaguar 20-22% ).
The problem is related to Lotus cars USA.
If we were under UK division like most other country in the world things would be different.
I take it the business model is working the same in Canada as it is in rest of world with customers dealing direct with Lotus and dealers for pick up and servicing? Was there ZERO discussion between Lotus USA and Canada dealer principals owners on the run up to the launch? It does seem like a discussion needs to be had either way!

I take it the business model is working the same in Canada as it is in rest of world with customers dealing direct with Lotus and dealers for pick up and servicing? Was there ZERO discussion between Lotus USA and Canada dealer principals owners on the run up to the launch? It does seem like a discussion needs to be had either way!
USA buy car from UK and CAN buy car from USA.

It should be CAN buy car from UK.

The more intermediate you get, the less efficient you are.

Playing with one currency exchange is already complicated.

Imagine when your product is subject to currency exchange rate twice and customs fees twice either !
( USA border - Canadian border )

Last edited:
USA buy car from UK and CAN buy car from USA.

It should be CAN buy car from UK.

The more intermediate you get, the less efficient you are.

Playing with one currency exchange is already complicated.

Imagine when your product is subject to currency exchange rate twice and customs fees twice either ! ( USA border - Canadian border )
Yup that sounds like chaos...

Interesting yet bizarre how you are so authoritarian in saying "enough". Comical. As far as LOTUS monitoring this site, and the two other LOTUS discussion sites you are so WRONG. I posted something on LotusTalk and LOTUS corporate answered on the site within a few mins. They also respond to owners and depositors on twitter.
I meant enough for me. What's comical to me is how people can't get enough about complaining about the price. Why not walk away? Join a Rolex forum and complain that there are far cheaper options out there that keep better time, are more reliable, and have more service outlets.

Is the pricing really that far off what you would want? 10% really makes a difference between loving it and wanting one and complaining bitterly? If so then it wasn't for you in the first place.

Enough. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob
I meant enough for me. What's comical to me is how people can't get enough about complaining about the price. Why not walk away? Join a Rolex forum and complain that there are far cheaper options out there that keep better time, are more reliable, and have more service outlets.

Is the pricing really that far off what you would want? 10% really makes a difference between loving it and wanting one and complaining bitterly? Is so then it wasn't for you in the first place.

Enough. :)
That is exactly the thinking Lotus have and it is exactly what will cause their loss and why they are still such a small player in the industry. They already hitted a wall in the past and unfortunately they will hit another one being still cocky again.

That is exactly the thinking Lotus have and it is exactly what will cause their loss and why they are still such a small player in the industry. They already hitted a wall in the past and unfortunately they will hit another one being still cocky again.
Where is the 'greed' here though. Does it sit with Lotus UK 🇬🇧 or Lotus USA 🇺🇸 Or is it just a byproduct of the shipping and taxes

Also on a side note, why Lotus destination charge fees are 2 - 2.5 time more expensive then the others on top of that ?
Car and driver did an article on that subject and Lotus is into the top 10 most expensive. After they wonder why they do not sell well...
My salesman told me to expect for the Emira 2000$-2200$US for transport fees + 800$ for preparation fees = between 3.5K - 4K CAD
Porsche destination fees : 1.5K CAD
Jaguar destination fees : 2.6K CAD
BMW destination and PDI fees : 2.2K CAD

Ok, I just Googled these numbers of how many cars sold in a year.

Jaguar 30k cars
BMW 278K cars
Porsche 272K cars

LOTUS 1.6K per year!!!

You just can't compare Walmart to a road side farmer selling delicious apples and squash from his farm, period. It's been said that Lotus will sell 5K Emiras a year. Even if they do half, they have doubled sales! I am glass half full always. Canada, your time is coming. Lotus will turn a profit, build up the dealer network and improve their model in Canada. I would like to see @HiddenLotus start a petition will all of the people who canceled and send that to Lotus. People on this forum have all types of cars and we all want Lotus to thrive so we have to use this forum partly to help that. I am not gonna knock anyone for being disappointed but what can we do to make sure we can all eat delicious apples at a tasty price!

I'm not turned off and still want this car, I'll simply wait for the base edition and spec it like I want. No rush on my side.

The car is beautyful and is a rare thing nowadays. Supercharged engines are pretty rare and their driving characteristics are awsome. Used to own a B8.5 Audi S4 and loved the supercharged engine. My friend owns a 2007 Exige S and love it as well. Add to that the manual transmission, competition is pretty slim... Like it was mentionned, the cayman is pretty much the only thing that comes close.

I want the Emira to succeed. Don't get me wrong. The issue here is they are making the same move that caused the Evora's to sit on dealer lots for years while collecting dust. I fully expect the first editions to sell out just like the initial Evora's sold out.

What I then see happening is people looking at a C8 Z06, a redesigned Cayman line up, a new BMW M2, all for a lower price when 2023 comes. And we will see supply chains recover. You will be able to order a Corvette or a Cayman again.

The truth is for the vast majority of customers, they will never take their cars to a track in Canada. Most people care about being seen in a certain brand, being able to launch their cars fast, and having bragging rights in numbers etc.

Most people I've sold these sports cars to will never see the top speed number of their cars, let alone being able to tell the difference a double wishbone suspension would make.

What I've found that helps these cars move is perceived value.

Perception matters! The Toyota GR Supra was a massive hit till reviewers got ahold of it and it started being compared to other cars. The car is now a flop, but objectively its a good car. But people wanted true Toyota reliability and not a BMW.

If this is how lotus is pricing the Emira, what happens when they release a SUV? Are they going to price a lotus SUV up against the Porsche Macan? Alfa Romeo tried that, look how well that's going.

Ok, I just Googled these numbers of how many cars sold in a year.

Jaguar 30k cars
BMW 278K cars
Porsche 272K cars

LOTUS 1.6K per year!!!

You just can't compare Walmart to a road side farmer selling delicious apples and squash from his farm, period. It's been said that Lotus will sell 5K Emiras a year. Even if they do half, they have doubled sales! I am glass half full always. Canada, your time is coming. Lotus will turn a profit, build up the dealer network and improve their model in Canada. I would like to see @HiddenLotus start a petition will all of the people who canceled and send that to Lotus. People on this forum have all types of cars and we all want Lotus to thrive so we have to use this forum partly to help that. I am not gonna knock anyone for being disappointed but what can we do to make sure we can all eat delicious apples at a tasty price!
Now that Lotus is part of the Geely group we tought that it would help them to get a better network distribution and be more efficient but absolutely nothing changed.

Usually when you are part of a regroupment like this, it should gives you more ressources and the transport logistic fees is one of them....

Volvo sell 110K cars just in USA.

Volvo Cars reported its strongest first half year sales in the first six months of 2021 as it sold 380,757 cars globally, an increase of 41.0 per cent compared with the same period last year.Jul. 2, 2021

Why not use the strength of Volvo network distribution to reduce your distribution cost and being able to be more competitive.

Last edited:
I still want the car. I always was waiting for the i4 engine. I know it’s gonna be an amazing car that I will enjoy and to me that’s all that matters. I get the frustration with the price. However I still think it awesome and want one

So how many Canadian are still getting one ?

Where is the 'greed' here though. Does it sit with Lotus UK 🇬🇧 or Lotus USA 🇺🇸 Or is it just a byproduct of the shipping and taxes
Agreed, taxes and shipping will be the biggest variables. Will there be an element of country-specific pricing based on its competitors in that market place? You can't rule it out but that would not make Lotus different to any of their peers.

I want the Emira to succeed. Don't get me wrong. The issue here is they are making the same move that caused the Evora's to sit on dealer lots for years while collecting dust. I fully expect the first editions to sell out just like the initial Evora's sold out.

What I then see happening is people looking at a C8 Z06, a redesigned Cayman line up, a new BMW M2, all for a lower price when 2023 comes. And we will see supply chains recover. You will be able to order a Corvette or a Cayman again.

The truth is for the vast majority of customers, they will never take their cars to a track in Canada. Most people care about being seen in a certain brand, being able to launch their cars fast, and having bragging rights in numbers etc.

Most people I've sold these sports cars to will never see the top speed number of their cars, let alone being able to tell the difference a double wishbone suspension would make.

What I've found that helps these cars move is perceived value.

Perception matters! The Toyota GR Supra was a massive hit till reviewers got ahold of it and it started being compared to other cars. The car is now a flop, but objectively its a good car. But people wanted true Toyota reliability and not a BMW.

If this is how lotus is pricing the Emira, what happens when they release a SUV? Are they going to price a lotus SUV up against the Porsche Macan? Alfa Romeo tried that, look how well that's going.

Until now, Lotus Car of Vancouver did not even post the Canadian Emira price after 2 days onto their Facebook page.
It shows very well how enthousiast they are about it.
Same for the Lotus Cars USA page, no nothing on their page about it. ( Radio silence - completely dead - nothing to be excited about I guess )

So how many Canadian are still getting one ?

Depends on the base V6 pricing and option costs. Also, depends to some extent on whether I feel that the frt and PDI charges are excessive. I really like the looks of the car, but I'm not familiar enough with Lotus to be considered a fanboy at this stage of the game.

I'm not interested at the FE price. A lightly specced 992 is the same price and I would use that car as a summer daily. That makes more sense to me in the $125k range. I have other fun cars, so I have no problem waiting until I find the right buy for myself.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back