• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Car shows "limp mode" or "reduced acceleration" warnings (possible ECU issue)

2/6 Updates regarding the faulty ECU: Lotus UK flew one of their tech guys in and helped Lotus Shanghai to diagnose the issue further. Kudos to their customer service. They also reimbursed any transportation cost up to 80 ish dollars per day which is fantastic. I pretty much had a Mercedes chauffeur drove me to anywhere in town free of charge. They found the faulty ECU, determined that there was an internal short circuit on the board, and decided to replace the entire thing. Reprogrammed the car with 1/23 Patch software and rebooted the entire system. (The entire reprogramming process took about 30 minutes to be completed) Seems like the problem has now been resolved. I am currently seeking a solution for 3rd cat delete to improve the overall sound and trying to fit an aftermarket exhaust system on it. Here is a picture of the chassis components. Enjoy!

I would have to start up a new thread if I touched anything on the exhaust system. Stay tuned~
I admire your boldness in planning a bunch of warranty-voiding modifications just after needing a major warranty repair!

2/6 Updates regarding the faulty ECU: Lotus UK flew one of their tech guys in and helped Lotus Shanghai to diagnose the issue further. Kudos to their customer service. They also reimbursed any transportation cost up to 80 ish dollars per day which is fantastic. I pretty much had a Mercedes chauffeur drove me to anywhere in town free of charge. They found the faulty ECU, determined that there was an internal short circuit on the board, and decided to replace the entire thing. Reprogrammed the car with 1/23 Patch software and rebooted the entire system. (The entire reprogramming process took about 30 minutes to be completed) Seems like the problem has now been resolved. I am currently seeking a solution for 3rd cat delete to improve the overall sound and trying to fit an aftermarket exhaust system on it. Here is a picture of the chassis components. Enjoy!

I would have to start up a new thread if I touched anything on the exhaust system. Stay tuned~
“They also reimbursed any transportation cost up to 80 ish dollars per day which is fantastic. I pretty much had a Mercedes chauffeur drove me to anywhere in town free of charge”

Now this is an example of customer service - how come UK 🇬🇧 customers without their cars waiting for repairs have not been offered this ?

“They also reimbursed any transportation cost up to 80 ish dollars per day which is fantastic. I pretty much had a Mercedes chauffeur drove me to anywhere in town free of charge”

Now this is an example of customer service - how come UK 🇬🇧 customers without their cars waiting for repairs have not been offered this ?
Who owns Lotus and which regional market is most important to them?

Just asking for a friend

wouldn't it be amazing if the car was delivered with more than three wheels?

Is that some kind of foil wrapped around the rear anti-roll bar?
Yeah I noticed the same thing, and it's on the underside of the body pans too. That looks like heat shield tape. I was going to do something of that sort to mine to reduce the temperatures in the trunk, but it looks like they've already taken that step.

Yeah I noticed the same thing, and it's on the underside of the body pans too. That looks like heat shield tape. I was going to do something of that sort to mine to reduce the temperatures in the trunk, but it looks like they've already taken that step.
The temperatures in the trunk are totally acceptable.

The demo cars, as well as previous Lotus cars, had a lot of tin foil visible through the mesh grille. Personally, it bugs me. However I don't think the casual passerby would notice or care.

The temperatures in the trunk are totally acceptable.
That would be because of the heat shielding on the areas underneath, although Harry and a few others have mentioned (I think Shmee was one of them) that the temperatures in the trunk get noticeably warm. Depending on the heat rejection factor of the shielding, it might be worth upgrading it to lower the temps even further. I have a laser thermometer I can use to test the temps and I'll do that once I get mine to see if it would be worth upgrading or not.

I have a remote temp/humidity data logger. The first thing I will do after a few weeks is place it in the trunk and let it map temps while I'm driving.

I doubt temp will be an issue. My Evora boot never got too warm, even on long 8-hr trips. My Elise, however, melted a bar of soap in my luggage on a 900 mile drive.
Thankfully there is some storage behind the seats in the Emira, not only for transporting certain temp-sensitive stuff, but also for storing snacks and drinks.

Heat shielding on the roll bar is likely just for some measure of heat rejection from the exhaust so the roll bar bushing mounts don’t see high temps from the bar getting hot.

Heat shielding on the roll bar is likely just for some measure of heat rejection from the exhaust so the roll bar bushing mounts don’t see high temps from the bar getting hot.
Heating a roll bar would also allow it to deform under high stress loads. They must have had some kind of experience in testing and development that convinced them it needed to be shielded.

That would be because of the heat shielding on the areas underneath, although Harry and a few others have mentioned (I think Shmee was one of them) that the temperatures in the trunk get noticeably warm. Depending on the heat rejection factor of the shielding, it might be worth upgrading it to lower the temps even further. I have a laser thermometer I can use to test the temps and I'll do that once I get mine to see if it would be worth upgrading or not.
I have driven mine for over 2 hours and very minimal heat build up in the boot - absolutely no issue at all.

Heating a roll bar would also allow it to deform under high stress loads. They must have had some kind of experience in testing and development that convinced them it needed to be shielded.
If I’m not mistaken the Evora’s anti roll bar has similar type of shield too

Hi all!
Received my Emira a couple of weeks ago, first proper drive and the Engine Light comes on….

“reduced acceleration” comes up if you try and put your foot down.

Lotus have said they know about an issue and the solution is a software update, which apparently is now ready… BUT, the software to get the update onto the car is broken, so they are hoping to have a fix in the next 7 days.

View attachment 21517

View attachment 21519

Moderator note: content about SOS warning removed and is covered in original post here.
Three weeks old Emira, have got same issue!