• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Car shows "limp mode" or "reduced acceleration" warnings (possible ECU issue)

I sure hope the replacement is an updated version. Otherwise, expect the same problem to surface.
For what it's worth, the demo car I test drove here in the USA about a month ago had the same issue during my test drive. In my first 2 minutes trying to pull out onto a busy road in traffic it kept stalling and said "Reduced Acceleration". At first I thought "man I really forgot how to drive a manual." The Lotus guys claimed it was due to the 93 octane in the US (the Euro spec car was made for 98) and that was the cause but now it sounds like there may be something else afoot. They kept resetting something in the ECU with a ODB3 dongle/scanner that seemed to fix it (at least temporarily).

Either way, they'd better get that sorted before they deliver them here in the US. I know I'll be quite disappointed if I have to make multiple 4 hour trips (round trip) to the dealer to sort these types of things out. As others have already mentioned, there are very few Lotus dealers in the USA so most of us will have to make significant drives for this stuff.

For what it's worth, the demo car I test drove here in the USA about a month ago had the same issue during my test drive. In my first 2 minutes trying to pull out onto a busy road in traffic it kept stalling and said "Reduced Acceleration". At first I thought "man I really forgot how to drive a manual." The Lotus guys claimed it was due to the 93 octane in the US (the Euro spec car was made for 98) and that was the cause but now it sounds like there may be something else afoot. They kept resetting something in the ECU with a ODB3 dongle/scanner that seemed to fix it (at least temporarily).

Either way, they'd better get that sorted before they deliver them here in the US. I know I'll be quite disappointed if I have to make multiple 4 hour trips (round trip) to the dealer to sort these types of things out. As others have already mentioned, there are very few Lotus dealers in the USA so most of us will have to make significant drives for this stuff.
Clueless dealers as usual. 98 RON = 93 AKI. But yeah — ECU replacements for quite a few people — and hopefully they figure it out before they make a bunch of cars that need ECU replacements.

80 miles each way for me 😒

I've had the 'Engine Accleration Restricted' warning 4 times now. I picked my car up on 21st April. I acknowledge the message but engine goes into limp mode and won't let me go over 4k revs. Once I turn the car off, turn it on again I presume it goes through its POST, says everything is ok and starts and drives as normal - no limp mode - however, engine management light stays on. I've taken it to my dealer who have confirmed the error states 'low fuel pressure' (whether it is or is it a glitch - who knows), they've cleared it and uploaded the logs to Lotus each time. However, it's happened again today, just in normal driving and I can't be 4rsed to go back to them even though the engine management light is on. The tech there showed me on his OBD reader that there is an update available but when you click on it there's nothing to download! I have a couple of other issues now regarding fit and finish so I will contact the dealer again (they are great - Hendy Performance in Eastleigh). It's the first time I've looked on this forum for a thread relating to it and I'm shocked people have had this issue since before Christmas!

Last edited:
I've had the 'Engine Accleration Restricted' warning 4 times now. I picked my car up on 21st April. I acknowledge the message but engine goes into limp mode and won't let me go over 4k revs. Once I turn the car off, turn it on again I presume it goes through its POST, says everything is ok and starts and drives as normal - no limp mode - however, engine management light stays on. I've taken it to my dealer who have confirmed the error states 'low fuel pressure' (whether it is or is it a glitch - who knows), they've cleared it and uploaded the logs to Lotus each time. However, it's happened again today, just in normal driving and I can't be 4rsed to go back to them even though the engine management light is on. The tech there showed me on his OBD reader that there is an update available but when you click on it there's nothing to download! I have a couple of other issues now regarding fit and finish so I will contact the dealer again (they are great - Hendy Performance in Eastleigh). It's the first time I've looked on this forum for a thread relating to it and I'm shocked people have had this issue since before Christmas!
I’m the exact same , had the car for 3 weeks and limp mode error message and engine light on …heading back to Lotus Glasgow next week with it …seems like a dodgy ecu problem they are aware of …bit disappointed that an issue they are probably aware of is still popping up on cars leaving the showrooms at the moment …assuming working on the basis of if it’s broke bring it back but if not …lucky you 😂

Day 5 with my new Emira, just shy of 600 miles and I experienced this. Not super excited since I’m 4 hours from my dealer, but I guess this is a risk I chose to take.
IMG_2534.jpeg

Update, had the engine light and Limp Mode warning, took it to Lotus Glasgow, they carried out 2 software updates and then found a loose earth somewhere..all sorted. no dramas and car running great (y)
Do we have a recommended check list per each defect yet? Checking grounds (and maybe which ones) is a good one to add.

My Emira with 200 miles has had this happen now multiple times. Already have a trip scheduled to dealer for TPMS issue and my brake pads are not correct.

Is there a way to know if you have the most recent software update? Like a version number on a screen? I just want to make sure all the software updates are performed before I head home.

Is there a way to know if you have the most recent software update? Like a version number on a screen? I just want to make sure all the software updates are performed before I head home.
Nope, need to ask the dealer

Oh boy here we go! All the problems Europe had are starting here. Hope I’m wrong but doesn’t look like it. Hoping my delivery is delayed more to see how many more problems pop up. 😳

Maybe a North American problem thread is on order. It would help keep them together for reference.

My Emira with 200 miles has had this happen now multiple times. Already have a trip scheduled to dealer for TPMS issue and my brake pads are not correct.
What happens in Limp Mode? Car remains drivable but restrained?
Please elaborate.

What happens in Limp Mode? Car remains drivable but restrained?
Please elaborate.
Revs are limited to 4K. Mine just went into service today for the same thing. 500 miles…happened twice today driving in the rain. Restarting the car each time cleared it, but the second time the Check Engine light came on and stayed on. It is now at the dealership.

Oh boy here we go! All the problems Europe had are starting here. Hope I’m wrong but doesn’t look like it. Hoping my delivery is delayed more to see how many more problems pop up. 😳

Maybe a North American problem thread is on order. It would help keep them together for reference.
I’ll start one…

This happened to me today and a Google search brought me to this thread.

I got the notification in the dashboard during normal city driving, and I had no idea what it meant. Then I saw the red zone in the rev counter all the way down to around 4k instead of the usual ~7k. The car was driving normally (central Tokyo traffic, so not a lot of revving).

After driving like this for a while I shifted to neutral and turned off the engine while moving in a slow downhill slope, then quickly turned it on. The warning disappeared and the red zone was back to ~7k. The guy behind me only noticed my position lights going off and quickly on again.

No idea why this happened.

This happened to me today and a Google search brought me to this thread.

I got the notification in the dashboard during normal city driving, and I had no idea what it meant. Then I saw the red zone in the rev counter all the way down to around 4k instead of the usual ~7k. The car was driving normally (central Tokyo traffic, so not a lot of revving).

After driving like this for a while I shifted to neutral and turned off the engine while moving in a slow downhill slope, then quickly turned it on. The warning disappeared and the red zone was back to ~7k. The guy behind me only noticed my position lights going off and quickly on again.

No idea why this happened.
I just had this happened to me too. I drove for about 40 mins. Switched to track mode for 5 mins, then back to sport. Then 5 mins later the message came on. Calling dealer to schedule an appointment.

I just had this happened to me too. I drove for about 40 mins. Switched to track mode for 5 mins, then back to sport. Then 5 mins later the message came on. Calling dealer to schedule an appointment.
Same here. It happened again on my side too, and this time the "check engine" indicator came up and it stays up after stopping/starting the car, and it doesn't go away even a day after when the car has cooled down.

I called the dealer and they we have scheduled an appointment for next Monday. They say it's most likely a software issue, but I will have to leave the car with them for at least a week.