📓 Journals kitkat's Emira

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.
I think this works if you are going for more of a racecar vibe- alcantara interior or race bucket seats. For a more GT or luxury feel I think stock looks better. But yea either way amazing mod. 👏👏👏

And what about on top of gear install a Ferrari lever looks, made on metal

And what about on top of gear install a Ferrari lever looks, made on metal
This could be achieved by prototyping a gated plate and then having cnc cut.

You’d then need to unbolt the adjustable lockout plate so that the shifter can freely shift into reverse without lifting the collar.

Now comes the tricky part, you would need to remove the lockout sleeve from the shifter and hope the remaining shaft is thin enough so that you can fabricate an actual H pattern plate without any overlap.

1730078588049.png

You can see that you’d have to remove, 6, 12, 2, 23, 24, 31 and thread the knob directly to shaft 3. Then you pray that part 3 is thin enough at the plane where you plan to put the plate to be able to make a non overlapping 6 speed with reverse plate H pattern.

Not a fan. Completely at odds with the rest of the interior esthetics. Mad skills though
You may have missed the original design concept for the interior of the car? The only reason they put a cage around the linkage in the first place was for safety regulations.

See:
5ed25584-725e-4a88-b4d3-5469fe03ecb2-jpeg.png

View attachment 53951

You can see that you’d have to remove, 6, 12, 2, 23, 24, 31 and thread the knob directly to shaft 3. Then you pray that part 3 is thin enough at the plane where you plan to put the plate to be able to make a non overlapping 6 speed with reverse plate H pattern.
Let's say it's not. For argument sake.

It does not look like a terrifically complicate "swap" to redesign a thinner shaft that would include a ball joint end such as part 3, that would fit in the base part (7).

The biggest challenge I see in that would be whether the upper shift linkage (mount part 5, cable end 46 etc). Would be able to be screwed onto a shaft thin enough to get the job done. A separate collar mechanism might be needed at that point. (Slides over the top with shift ball removed down to an indexed part of the shaft or similar

You may have missed the original design concept for the interior of the car? The only reason they put a cage around the linkage in the first place was for safety regulations.
I also think the original design is well done, in that. Right now in the US I think there are 12 Cars you can buy new with a manual
transmission. (Not counting base Kia, Versa, or Mazda3)

Ford Mustang
Honda Civic Type R / Acura Integra
Hyundai Elantra N
Lotus Emira
Mazda Miata
Nissan Z
Porsche 911 GT3 (non-RS) & S/T
Subaru WRX
BMW M2 (for limited time left)
Toyota GR 86 / Corolla / Supra

13 if you include the 2 Million dollar Aston Valour

There's a pretty big gap here in values.

The GR86 may easily lose it's manual as Toyota said next 86 car will be hybrid 3cly.
The Supra ends production next year
Nissan Z likely only to be offered another year to fill the Supra void
Miata is destined for a EV next car...this gen has been around a long time.
BMW already on its way out

That's it folks. By 2027 when the Emira exits production or however Lotus/Geely will pull it from the market, I suspect we will be down to just

Ford Mustang
Hyundai Elantra N
Honda CTR / Integra S
Subaru WRX

Maybe some expensive limited run Porsche 911s and whatever other billionaire toys from Aston or Ferrari or whoever else.

At this point as an auto manufacturer, if you aren't doing something special and celebrating the manual transmission you still offer. Whether with a fun shift knob, a cool attention grabbing red boot, a gated cover, polished linkage, whatever. In my mind, you are doing it wrong.

Leave no confusion. Create no doubt. "Yes it even comes in a manual option" should be in every marketing material and commercial tag line.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back