• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

If they somehow get their act together and deliver cars this winter, I'm not taking delivery mid-way through December. I'll make them sit on it for 2 weeks until I can get there after Jan 1 to complete the paperwork. No way am I paying an extra $4500 in property tax for a few weeks of ownership in mid-winter when I can't even drive it then. And yes, there's a way to get the tax pro-rated, but you almost have to take them to court to get it done.
Amen to that. Ill have them hold it till its coinvent for me to pick it up. Middle of winter is a no-go for me.

Is the V6 manual crowd really willing to switch to a 400hp m139 dct?

They are hoping to sell more I4 and trying to sway people. I dont think its going to work. They are now hyping it as "get it earlier than the v6"! Nah Ill wait.

I just did spec on my i4 2 weeks ago and got confirmation from dealer. It does say I will get something from lotus USA when order is confirmed. Has anyone else received confirmation from lotus or just dealer that your order is placed
My I4 FE order was submitted by my dealer on the 25th. I received a message from Lotus USA confirming the receipt of that order a couple of days later.

That confirmation email from Lotus USA was relayed to me through my dealer however. Clear as mud right? Maybe ask your dealer to forward that confirmation to you if available?

My I4 FE order was submitted by my dealer on the 25th. I received a message from Lotus USA confirming the receipt of that order a couple of days later.

That confirmation email from Lotus USA was relayed to me through my dealer however. Clear as mud right? Maybe ask your dealer to forward that confirmation to you if available?
Thanks

That's crazy. What kind of insurance are you getting quoted? Don't do a standard vehicle policy, they will nail you on anything that's unusual. You need classic car insurance, almost all the providers will allow you to do a new car if it is unusual or exotic.
I’m in Texas and Progressive quoted me $125 per month full coverage 100/300/100 $500 deductible with car value as “stated”. Ie no depreciation unless I restate the value. - I do use an agent and not direct.

I just did spec on my i4 2 weeks ago and got confirmation from dealer. It does say I will get something from lotus USA when order is confirmed. Has anyone else received confirmation from lotus or just dealer that your order is placed
You’re going to get an email from Lotus that says “You’re on the fast track…….soon………”

If they somehow get their act together and deliver cars this winter, I'm not taking delivery mid-way through December. I'll make them sit on it for 2 weeks until I can get there after Jan 1 to complete the paperwork. No way am I paying an extra $4500 in property tax for a few weeks of ownership in mid-winter when I can't even drive it then. And yes, there's a way to get the tax pro-rated, but you almost have to take them to court to get it done.
Property tax? You mean your registration? No way that’s $4,500. Nobody could drive.

Property tax? You mean your registration? No way that’s $4,500. Nobody could drive.

Yes, Property Tax!! So in South Carolina we pay only a maximum of $500 in Sales Tax on a new vehicle. Yet we pay Property Tax each year on the vehicle based on its value. It takes about 8 to 10 years of Property Tax to reach the same $$ as a 7% sales tax so its an eventual wash. But the first year is the most, so I totally see why @Porter would wait a few weeks!

If you live in the United States, I put a zero percent chance on your delivery month being 30 days after your build month.

If you have an FE official order, I could very well see a build date by January 2024, but delivery will be many months after that.
Agreed. The cost-benefit analysis for Lotus would likely dictate that it makes no sense to build cars for the NA market until they obtain regulatory approval…production should begin immediately after all approvals are received. That will save Lotus the hassle of shipping cars during hurricane season and storing cars in port until regulatory approvals are received. Not to mention fulfilling orders in other parts of the world will bring in much-needed revenue.

Yes, Property Tax!! So in South Carolina we pay only a maximum of $500 in Sales Tax on a new vehicle. Yet we pay Property Tax each year on the vehicle based on its value. It takes about 8 to 10 years of Property Tax to reach the same $$ as a 7% sales tax so its an eventual wash. But the first year is the most, so I totally see why @Porter would wait a few weeks!
They don’t prorate the property tax? That would really surprise me…No one would buy a house or a car after January!

My property tax for the Ferrari is almost 8k per year. The registration fee? Well let's just say I don't want to talk about that.

Rest easy boys, I’ll be doing a factory tour on October 9 and hope to see US cars in production. Really hoping to see my car while im there but I know that’s a long shot.

Will also be looking for non U.S. left hand drive headlight part numbers. I’de rather not have the amber indicator.

Rest easy boys, I’ll be doing a factory tour on October 9 and hope to see US cars in production. Really hoping to see my car while im there but I know that’s a long shot.

Will also be looking for non U.S. left hand drive headlight part numbers. I’de rather not have the amber indicator.

Assuming they've actually started production by then... bold.

It's worse than you even think. In the first year you pay 4.15% vehicle sales tax to the state (Virginia), plus 4.57% personal property tax to my county in northern Virginia. Then it's 4.57% of the assessed value of the vehicle every year, forever.

So that's about $4k in sales tax and $4.5k in personal property tax in year 1, then the personal property is ongoing. Their assessment may or may not trend down over time, they raised assessments like 30% in 2021 when used car values jumped.

I did a spreadsheet to figure out how long it would take me to pay for the whole value of the car over again in taxes, and it wasn't as many years as I hoped.

Last edited:
Makes me grateful I'm a resident of a state with no property or sales tax! Phew those numbers hurt.

I'd also be interested in the part numbers for euro spec headlights if they can be found by anyone! Ambers are the worst.

Come live in TX no property tax on vehicles. We also get a discount on taxes if we have 60 days where temperatures are over 100 degrees
So this year I’m in luck 😂

Are you just doing the factory tour not the driving academy

Porter, I am in a similiar postion but with an option:
We live mostly in Northern VA but we have a place on the water in Maryland. I will register & garage the car at our Marylaand residence because the VA tax structure is unfavorable !

So sales tax for you would be $8,000 ish. And you pay $4,500 in year one. It better only be $300 a year after that! Sheesh.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back