• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

Thanks for sharing! What's a check digit?
It's an algorithm that looks at each position of the VIN, converts the positions to numbers ( if they are letters), applies a multiplier, then does some other math magic to arrive at a check digit number. If that check digit equals the check digit in the VIN, then it's a valid VIN format.

Thanks for sharing! What's a check digit?
A check digit is a simple error detection mechanism for ensuring that a string has been transmitted correctly. What it does is essentially hash all possible combinations of 16-digit strings into one of 36 possible values (0-9, A-Z). This way, if one or more of the 16 digits is incorrectly transmitted, then the check digit would be wrong. There is a 2.8% chance that two VINs have the exact same check digit.

Thanks! That's good info. I'm still getting the decoder error on their website for positions 5-8. Do you have the link to this?
Hey, the error is no more!! My VIN is officially in the NHTSA database. Still interested in the link to that VIN position picture you posted!

The VIN decoder page itself was an attachment, however, and that one is dated July 18th, 2023...

So I guess this one is in the "BIG IF TRUE" category.

My sales rep told me that the US spec Emira will not have the visible gearchange mechanism in the V6 manual gearbox. This is one of the coolest features. Has anyone else heard this?
Haven't heard this, but that makes no sense to me.

The VIN decoder page itself was an attachment, however, and that one is dated July 18th, 2023...

True enough, but as an attachment to a dated cover letter it attests that the attached info is accurate as of the cover letter date!

Emira VIN Decoder Now on NHTSA Website:

View attachment 34020

Link to the document:

Notes: The 12th digit appears to denote the region that the car is for but there is no explanation here. The 13th digit is the auto/manual indicator. 1=manual; 2=automatic. The real mystery is the 12th digit since there's been a variety of different letters for this position: S, R, M, N. The *most interesting* letter is the one for the one VIN shown in the recent 120 car shipment to Baltimore. The 12th digit for that VIN is "B" which has traditionally been for "Left hand drive, Canada".
My 12th digit is “B” and I’m in AZ.

My 12th digit is “B” and I’m in AZ.
Has there been any recent legislation in AZ on joining Canad?

Seriously, though, I'm not sure then... For the Evora and other models, A has been "Left Hand Drive, US/Federal", and B has been "Left Hand Drive, Eh?"

I was always thinking that it would not be logical to produce 2 different I4 engine configuration since the Asian market are getting the 400hp version. Looks like it's another thing that Lotus is trying to keep under wrap so not to affect V6 sales. If this is true, I wonder what those with a deposit on the V6 auto will think?

Last edited:
I was always thinking that it would not be logical to produce 2 different I4 engine configuration since the Asian market are getting the 400hp version. Looks like it's any thing that Lotus is trying to keep under wrap so not to affect V6 sales. If this is true, I wonder what those with a deposit on the V6 auto will think?

I think I'm still OK with my V6 auto choice.

For those who do not have the VINs, does your dealer mention anything about when the third ship is going to sail?
Don't know about the ship sailing timeframe but I was told the car would arrive in early-mid February. Based on that, I would expect a mid-late January sail date.

Don't know about the ship sailing timeframe but I was told the car would arrive in early-mid February. Based on that, I would expect a mid-late January sail date.
FE 1.0 or 2.0? Was told my FE 2.0 should arrive mid-March (Charlotte)

K_Squared is a FE 1.0 at that same dealership that I have my deposit with. I

I am also an early FE 2.0 (Cape Fear) and was told December production with March delivery. Hopefully this is still accurate.

I was always thinking that it would not be logical to produce 2 different I4 engine configuration since the Asian market are getting the 400hp version. Looks like it's another thing that Lotus is trying to keep under wrap so not to affect V6 sales. If this is true, I wonder what those with a deposit on the V6 auto will think?
It wouldn't be 2 different engine hardware configurations rather 2 different ecu programs, 1 for Asia 1 for everyone else. Easy to get small power gains from stock ecu with proper ecu flash. Most will be looking to flash to highest available limits i4 and v6 before moving towards hardware upgrades.