• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Exhaust Upgrade?

Maybe I'm missing something... there is a lot of mention of the Militek. But all it gets you is a remote control for the valve?

Which...you can already control with Tour/Sport/Track mode? What exactly is having the remote supposed to help with?
Value control for Emira is unlike many manufacturers, where usually the value partly open or fully open depending on the driving mode, it is controlled by engine speed and other elements which means you can be on track mode and. still value open no more than 30%. Miltek's controller takes care of that

Please keep us updated if the value stay intact if you do track. We have many incidents value got melted down from Ti exhausts.
I certainly will! I have an Autocross event on Saturday and a full track day at COTA on Sunday.

Please keep us updated if the value stay intact if you do track. We have many incidents value got melted down from Ti exhausts.

Can you expand on this? Are you saying the metal flap itself melts, or the electronic valve actuator? And is this specific to Ti exhaust?

Maybe I'm missing something... there is a lot of mention of the Militek. But all it gets you is a remote control for the valve?

Which...you can already control with Tour/Sport/Track mode? What exactly is having the remote supposed to help with?
It allows you full control of the valves. You can rode around with the valves 100% open all the time. Current setup even in sport the valves only open at 4k but with the controller it’ll be open even below that

Can you expand on this? Are you saying the metal flap itself melts, or the electronic valve actuator? And is this specific to Ti exhaust?
The value actuator and the harness, which leads to engine light and possibly locking power. So far it is only related to Ti exhaust as its temperature is so much hotter than the SS exhaust

The value actuator and the harness, which leads to engine light and possibly locking power. So far it is only related to Ti exhaust as its temperature is so much hotter than the SS exhaust
Ahhh, I see. Makes sense it's the electronics and plastics. They even built in a little air scoop to help cool the actuator... lol. I wonder if there shouldn't be some type of a heat brake insulation mod to help prevent heat conductance, and also additional shielding to protect it from radiating heat.

Just curious, why would the Ti exhaust be so much hotter than SS?

Also really curious about why this would be a Ti problem since Stainless conducts heat better.

anyone who's worked in thermal imaging knows that emissivity charts are strictly theoretical and that actual emissivity changes based on several factors. that being said, here's a chart that shows Ti with a 2.5x higher emissivity rating than polished stainless.
www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amp/emissivity-coefficients-d_447.html

now maybe the majority of the heat damage that's being discussed is conductive, but the logical conclusion of Ti having higher emissivity is that it will also radiate more heat from it's surface (relative to the stainless).

3m black electric tape generally has a .95 or higher emissivity value, which means that if you place a strip of tape on a polished object, you get a good "target" to read a more accurate temperature with a spot IR thermometer or IR camera. a side by side IR temp check of the two exhaust systems (warmed up in the same manner) would show whether the Ti system actually radiates more heat in to the compartment.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back