• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

So is it a great car?

I don't think taking 10hp off the power and 200rpm off the redline would have a big impact on those two aspects, even if they were part of the Lotus game plan.

I think they de-tuned it to meet emissions. Anyone in the UK who has checked the configurator over the last two months may have spotted the on the road costs have gone up slightly. This is because the emissions-based VED fee has gone up, because the actual emissions measured during type approval are actually ABOVE the target figure.

Please Lotus, can we now have our de-tuned power and redline back!
Thank you Tom!

Since cars built in calendar year 2023 will be titled 2024 will they have to re-due Type approval for UK and Emissions for the US?
I don't know how it works in the US, but in the UK they only need to do TA when the car is launched, not annually. They'd only have to re-do it if they had a significant change in output, so if they did an Emira GT430.

No way. I haven't met an Evora owner who wished theirs didn't have just a little more power.
Maybe be true, but the target owners for Emira is not all the previous Evora purchasers.
Volume is the difference, and with that goal comes a different more expanded set of customers.

Is someone coming from a Camry V6 going to be under whelmed by the handling .. not likely.

So .. hitting Evora handling/power within 5% isn't a make/break deal.

Not having people spin out at lights/roundabouts and the car getting a bad-rep is important.

Maybe be true, but the target owners for Emira is not all the previous Evora purchasers.
Volume is the difference, and with that goal comes a different more expanded set of customers.

And yes, I thought this was the whole point. If Lotus can't sell a "base" car, they will have no funding or reason to make raw versions. They aren't Ferrari selling cars for hundreds of thousands. Maybe somebody knows but I can't think of another manufacturer to benchmark against Lotus? Alpine?

Amidst all the reviews and all the comments, I am interested in one thing, how many cars are they selling. Selling more cars will give everyone on this forum what they want perhaps. Tunes, lightweight mods, future variants. Nothing makes sense if you aren't selling any cars.

When do we think they would announce the GT/S/Final v6 variant? Any speculation? 2024 Calendar year seems to make the most sense to me, However being sold out until pretty much 2025, I don't know. I was watching what Radford has done with that V6 powertrain with the help from Jubu, really impressive stuff.

To add to @TomE comments on the detuned situation. I think it was Lotus' biggest error on the Emira. It's a sports car. Even if you are trying to dial it down and be more sophisticated and daily friendly, reducing power does not achieve this. Will it add weight... yes no doubt.(sound deadining, more tech etc.) Think 911 Turbo vs GT3. No other company would launch a new sports car, such an important sports car with reduced power compared to its predecessors. Especially with the name Lotus attached to the front. The F/E and Base version isn't meant for the Lotus faithful, or for the person that is using this as a 2nd/3rd fun/track car. It's aimed as a daily usable sports car to push new customers into the Lotus world. Let's be honest they achieved this. I am proof of that. However the expectation I have from Lotus is going to be based on driving Evora's(can't drive exige here or I would) and seeing reviews of Evora's Exige's and Elise's. What else would I base my opinion of Lotus Cars on? I placed my deposit on the expectation of Evora dialled to 11, as Gas said... So I drove an Evora 400 and if it's dialled up from here with better tech and fit finish! Sold!

Not having people spin out at lights/roundabouts and the car getting a bad-rep is important.

I really doubt people will be accidentally spinning out the Emira.

I mean there are always bad drivers that can lose control of any vehicle, but unless some inexperienced kid pops the clutch and floors it at a light on a wet road... the the Emira isn't going to be uncontrollable to most drivers. I can't speak for the AMG motor, but the 2GR isn't a torque monster down low and the Emira is actually pretty hard to powerslide according to the recent track reviews.

I could be totally wrong on this but I'm assuming it was done for two reasons.

1. Lotus wanted to make a less raw car to appeal to more customers.
2. Based on dynamics it may have made the car a bit too dangerous and difficult to control.

Again, I could be wrong.

It has plenty of power for my intended use (not going to track it at all). Also, I really like the fact that Lotus seems to have struck a very good balance of performance, comfort, and safety.
No you are completely right.
But Lotus have it so wrong. This should have been a proper drivers car with a buzz around it. They have made a car for the masses and lost that mystique that the best of Sports cars have. Which then ironically bring in the average driver and the big bucks ££££ And raises the brand profile

No you are completely right.
But Lotus have it so wrong. This should have been a proper drivers car with a buzz around it. They have made a car for the masses and lost that mystique that the best of Sports cars have. Which then ironically bring in the average driver and the big bucks ££££ And raises the brand profile
I don't think this is a sports car for the masses. That would be the Toyota GR86 or a Golf GTI. At 90k USD and at the planned volume, it remains niche.

I don't think this is a sports car for the masses. That would be the Toyota GR86 or a Golf GTI. At 90k USD and at the planned volume, it remains niche.
No, it's not for the masses, but aimed at increasing the brand and taking from corvette/cayman/ base 911/bmw M... A lot of customers in that 90K playing field.

Newbie here. Go easy.

Deposit down for an early FE V6 manual, sports suspension / Goodyear tyres.

Reviews seem caveated positive to positive….but lots of keyboard warrior vs Cayman GTXX stuff.

Where are people landing having read what’s out there?

For me, still seems like a slice of exotic for carrot cake (relative) money….perhaps not perfect, but mini supercar looks and very good dynamics.

Still a believer, but it’s the first new car I have bought and don’t want to get burnt.
Welcome! You’ve done well. I’ve seen enough and had the pleasure of sitting in one and watching the various test drives to know it will be a peach and relative bargain.

Here is the questions...

Emira V6 vs Cayman GTS 4.0 = tie

Emira i4 vs Cayman S = Win for Emira (premature, but I get the feeling this is in the bag for Lotus)

Emira V6 Manual GT/Cup/Final vs Cayman GT4 = ?? This is the crown they want for the final manual Lotus. No doubt in my mind they will be working very very hard for this. From what I have seen I think they can take the GT4 in the final V6 version. This is the one I want. The Emira should push that V6 to 430-440BHP and 100 KG lighter, with a bit better suspension setup. It's almost there.

Emira i4 450-500BHP 2026+ model vs Cayman GT4rs = ?? This will be the hardest mission to accomplish. The GT4RS engine from the GT3 will be almost impossible to tackle with a 4cyl. But it will be close, and at that point there won't be a GT4RS to buy, the RS is not a normal car, it is PDK only track car.

I think they can topple the GT4 manual with an Emira V6 final manual. This is the biggest triumph to the marketing of the Emira... To crown a mid-engine track King that can be easily drivable. The Exige cup 430 vs GT4RS would be an interesting battle on track I think... that's another thread lol
I had the pleasure of about 80 miles across the Yorkshire Moors in my mates 718 GT4 (PDK) yesterday evening and I can honestly say it is an incredibly competent car but is such that I was driving flowing but twisty roads at 75mph and I it just wasn't exciting, I'd of needed to be doing closer to 100mph to of felt truly engaged and enthused. At anything below 5000rpm I found the engine note lacking especially in comparison to our RS3 and SLK55 (not really Porsches fault, that's what GPF's do sadly). On track or something really twisty like the Grossglockner it would be absolutely incredible but for me and my world it's just too capable and as a result a bit soulless. After driving the GT4 I drove home in the SLK55, it's imperfections and that V8 made it a much more engaging and enjoyable experience as it needed to be worked to get the most out of the experience where as the GT4 doesn't because it does everything effortlessly well.

I hope the Emira is somewhere between the SLK55 and the GT4 and then it will be an excellent addition to the garage,

My good fellow, I object to your classifying the Toyota GR86 or Golf GTI as being "sports cars". 😄 Rather, I would call them "sporty cars".

I shall await your rebuttal at the bike racks after school.

I had the pleasure of about 80 miles across the Yorkshire Moors in my mates 718 GT4 (PDK) yesterday evening and I can honestly say it is an incredibly competent car but is such that I was driving flowing but twisty roads at 75mph and I it just wasn't exciting, I'd of needed to be doing closer to 100mph to of felt truly engaged and enthused. At anything below 5000rpm I found the engine note lacking especially in comparison to our RS3 and SLK55 (not really Porsches fault, that's what GPF's do sadly). On track or something really twisty like the Grossglockner it would be absolutely incredible but for me and my world it's just too capable and as a result a bit soulless. After driving the GT4 I drove home in the SLK55, it's imperfections and that V8 made it a much more engaging and enjoyable experience as it needed to be worked to get the most out of the experience where as the GT4 doesn't because it does everything effortlessly well.

I hope the Emira is somewhere between the SLK55 and the GT4 and then it will be an excellent addition to the garage,

I keep hearing this comment. I have a deposit on a GT4. The thing is my STI with an aftermarket exhaust is fun to drive at any speed. I always feel engaged. The hydraulic steering, the manual, the boost kick, is always fun and yes you have to work it, not an "effortless" car to drive IMO. When I tracked the Evora it had the same feeling as the STI but on another level. I keep hearing this comment about the GT4.

I keep hearing this comment. I have a deposit on a GT4. The thing is my STI with an aftermarket exhaust is fun to drive at any speed. I always feel engaged. The hydraulic steering, the manual, the boost kick, is always fun and yes you have to work it, not an "effortless" car to drive IMO. When I tracked the Evora it had the same feeling as the STI but on another level. I keep hearing this comment about the GT4.
If it helps my friend has had the GT4 for 4 weeks and has sold it back to Porsche in exchange for a 991.1 GT3 for pretty much the reasons I have noted above. Bearing in mind he ordered a 718 Spyder 2 years ago and then as Porsche couldn't confirm when he might get that they offered him a GT4 slot instead says it all. I know a few people in a car club I'm in who love their GT4's but they do a significant amount of track time and I think that is where the GT4 ultimately does its best work.
I think the GT3 will offer a middle ground as it has the noise and drama that the GT4 has been stifled of due to regulations. I'll be sure to tell you in the next few months when I get to take the GT3 out and enjoy it.

Is someone coming from a Camry V6 going to be under whelmed by the handling .. not likely.

So .. hitting Evora handling/power within 5% isn't a make/break deal.

Are you suggesting the target market for a V6 FE Emira that we've waited over a year with a deposit -- are prior Camry v6 owners?

Porsche GT4 = the boring choice. I agree, driven a few. The Spyder is the real crown in the bunch, the open top adds a bit imo. Incredible machine's either way tho.

Isn’t this what Chris Harris alluded to, GT4 track biased. Emira better for the road.

Could not agree more. I also didn't find the engine noise to be remarkable.